DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
chris99
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 17 and just got a '99 dodge ram 1500 reg cab short bed 4x4 and I just put a new dual flowmaster exhaust in it. It sounds good but i want some help on what to do to make it sound louder and run better?:rck:

·
Registered
327 Posts
cut the muffler off and sell it and straight pipe it after the cat. thats what i have and it sounds awesome. I get complements for ford and chevy guys because theres can't sound like it. oh yah and headers.

·
chris99
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would like to keep my exhaust on it but do headers cost alot?

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Get a Magnaflow cat. It will make it sound much better, give it a little more pep and they run about $200. Everyone who has one likes it!

·
Registered
262 Posts
i love my magnaflow hi-flow cat! totally changed the whole sound of my exhaust. And Chris99 keep a look out in the classified section for headers. thats how i found mine.

·
chris99
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
alright thanks guys I decided to go with straight pipes after the headers and completely get rid of the cat and muffler. I going to make the pipes come out before the back tires in a 60 degree angle. This should sound alot louder. Also i am saving for some new headers to put on a lil later.

·
Big Green
8,318 Posts
Sorry to hear that I hate when people try to make louder. I say a nice aftermarket exhaust with a good muffler. But I am also a cop so loud exhaust also give me a reason to make traffic stops and at 17 you don't want the extra attention and don't want stopped unless you like not having a license.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
after the cat, "Y pipe" & an electric or manual dump out gate. there you will have the choice to run w/ a muffler or wide open.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
stainless shorty headers cost me $140. no complaints. ebay

·
chris99
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so is no muffler at all illegal or legal? My dad tryimg to not let me get straights after the headers because he sayimg it illegal?.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Depends on where you live if you want to take a chance on a ticket.
Do you have inspections there?
That is something you need to think about also.
I am running with no mufflers but have a cat.
Even in rural E. Texas I have to keep it legal for inspections.
But it does sound great.

·
chris99
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
alright i think i not going to chnce it and just get new headers and a magnaflow cat with my flowmaster exhaust already. Thanks for all the help guys. :)

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
whats chance have to do with it?

·
chris99
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cause i would not like to get a ticket considering dad will take my truck if i do lol

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
give yourself options. look at your laws. run both a muffler on one side of the Y and wide open on the other, if you want it loud. a Y pipe can do it and be shut up in a minute. anyways headers are a good way to go reguardless.

·
chris99
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
alright i look at the laws around here tomorrow but i getting stainless headers off ebay for 170 :cool: so they should help :rck:

·
Registered
786 Posts
i hope you dont plan on towing anything bc running straight pipes from the headers is gonna kill your torque from lack of back pressure that the cats and muffler produce :(

·
chris99
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
really?! i didn't know that lol i only 17 and as u can tell no nothing about trucks lol just can do body work :)

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
cause i would not like to get a ticket considering dad will take my truck if i do lol
I was going to say to let me put an SCT tune on it (not talking about superchips) but you're liable to get a crazy driving ticket hahaha.

Get a 180 t-stat on there and make sure the plenum gasket isn't leaking. Put on an SCT tune. PM me for more details if you need.

·
Registered
485 Posts
SCT, LT headers, y-pipe, no cat, muffler, CAI, 4.10 gears, and you will be blowing by any other gas truck in your town.

Hemifever have your prices gone down?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.