DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a rather unpleasant weekend down in Houston... was towing a car trailer down the Sam Houston tollway when the moron in a Mustang in front of me threw his car into reverse at 70mph (he was drunk... but you can't blame alcohol on that, it was sheer stupidity). He started fishtailing and ended up shooting a sideways across several lanes where I took the front of his car off with the right front of my 05 Cummins. I then went back right and bounced off the concrete barrier at 45 mph. The damage to his car is just from my truck, the damage to my truck is from colliding with the car and then the concrete wall.

Fortunately my airbags did not go off. If the bags has blown I'm pretty sure I would not have been able to drive the truck after the impact and it would have rolled or hit the concrete barrier head on. As it was I was able to gain enough control of the truck and trailer to get a nice glancing blow off the wall and bring it to a somewhat controlled stop, greatly minimizing damage to the truck and potential injury to me and my passenger. The bad news is that they think they can fix my truck... makes me wish I would have run it into the wall head on anyways. And some good news is I think the officers found drugs in his car too, so he will have a mountain of charges against him.

Attachments

·
Victims arent we all
1,826 Posts
sorry to hear bout that, but on the good side the mustang can get those dents buffed out, with some scratch remover....

·
2013 Laramie Power Wagon
2,024 Posts
Sucks for the truck, but glad to hear you and passenger are ok. As for the Rustang, was it a convertible or did the fire/ems cut the roof off?

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
ouch bro, sorry to hear about that. Glad you and your passenger made it out ok though!. What about your car you were trailering, did it suffer?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
did you atleast get one good shot to the guys face b4 the cops came, i would have teed off on him, hahah and then blamed it on the accident!!!

anyways glad all is OK , damn drunks!!!!!

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Well, the drunk is going to experience first-hand Texas justice for drunk drivers/w drugs. Glad you are OK. Over on East Hardy Road there is a huge lot with wrecked trucks and cars and it makes you thank your stars you were not inside some of those vehicles.

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
Glad you and your passenger are ok. Sorry about your truck bro.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the well wishes, they're appreciated, especially for my truck.

Fortunately there was no car on the trailer at the time, we were down there to pick up a 2002 Trans Am with 10,000 original miles and over $25k in reciepts for custom work done to it. That would have been a nitemare with insurance. Over 500 mile drive and we were 5 miles from the hotel when this happened.

The tow truck driver told me that because he had Progressive insurance they were more than likey going to buff out those scratches in the Mustang! :eek: Fortunately I believe he was talking figuratively and not literally. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed hoping to get my truck totaled. I think the oil pan of the engine stopped the front axle... if the Cummins is hurt that's $12k minimum to replace it. I figure I need 21k damage to have it totaled... and I think there's at least 9k worth of other stuff going on there.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
well at least you didn't have the TA yet, that would have sucked. Sucks about the drive all the way there too though! Good luck

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
Yeah man, sorry to hear about all that mess. Luckily you are still here to tell the tale. Wish you the best in regards to your truck and the insurance company. That idiot will hopefully get what he deserves.

KB

·
Vertically-Challenged
12,020 Posts
KB112 said:
Yeah man, sorry to hear about all that mess. Luckily you are still here to tell the tale. Wish you the best in regards to your truck and the insurance company. That idiot will hopefully get what he deserves.

KB
I HATE DRUNK DRIVERS!!! 3 of my friends were killed by one. Its brutal man, at least your OK. Vehicles are only possessions.

·
WYOhemi
478 Posts
sorry man that really sucks...such a nice truck. i swear the retard that rearended me was drunk but he didn't get charged for it. his engine was in the cab of his s-10 and all i needed on my old f-150 was a new bumper, tailpipes, and a tailgate. when he hit me i hit the lady in front of me and she hit the person in front of her. i love grille guards!

·
Registered
690 Posts
There is nothing worse than a drunk behind the wheel!!!! There is no excuse a drunk can offer that allows them behind the wheel. That said glad your ok and I hope they total your rig so you can atleast make out ok for your troubles.

·
Registered
360 Posts
WOW!! Glad to see you kept her under control!! I imagine the mustang driver spent the night with "BubbA"?? Glad to see your OK!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The dealer says the passenger frame rail was moved rearward but "We can straighten that right out and it'll be as good as new". BS! Tomorrow I should find out the condition of the engine. I'd love to get my hands on Chryslers recommendations for what frame repairs are acceptable and what ones are not. My feeling is if the whole right side frame rail is shifted rearward there is so much stress on the crossmembers they'll never be the same again. And that had to damge the cab and bed since they're bolted to the frame. From what I hear DCX doesn't recommend applying heat to frames to stress relieve them afterwards... and I doubt the dealer will take the time to cold relieve every crossmember. So more than likely that frame will never be right again.

Anyone here had a similar procedure done to their frame? I'm still holding out for the engine being dead.... that should total the truck.

Thanks for the thoughts... I know this is every car guys worst nitemare. Having a screwed up baby and an insurance company that wants to give it back to you.

·
Banned
2,452 Posts
give that truck away after fixin it. lol. glad everyones alright, what a douche...

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Insist that it is repaired by a Dodge dealership ONLY!!! You can pick where it is repaired. If the Dodge dealer is open to repairing it, then at least you can hope that is a good sign. IF the Dodge dealer says no, then the insurance company can not force you to take it elsewhere, no court will make a ruling to force you to take the truck to some cheapo place when Dodge won't pull the frame back. If they do it though, you pretty much have to go with it, you can't make them total it if Dodge is willing to repair it. Maybe find a Dodge shop and go talk to them before you tell the insurance company where you want to take it and convince them to be on your side a little at least. I feel for you, I had a new truck for 6 months and it had to be completely repainted and had every forward and left facing part replaced due to a near miss of a head on collision and being sprayed with flying gravel and blacktop. The truck just never felt the same and no matter how good the shop is you will find things over time that you just can't live with and have to touch up all the time. With a crooked frame, you will always have uneven tire wear, and probably a pull one way or the other under heavy acceleration or braking. Glad to hear you are all ok, and like the others said, a truck is replaceable and even if you get screwed by the insurance animals, you can pay some off, bide your time and let it go for a loss and get a new one and hope you can recover over time, at least you aren't recovering in the hospital.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.