DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just recently I had a shop cut out the stock muffler and weld in a flowmaster in its place. I love the sound of the new setup but my past experiences with some car mechanics has caused me to always be a slittle suspicious. I watched the guy install the muffler. He came out of the back with a silver colored muffler, cut my stock one off, welde the new one up, and bang its done. Welded on a new 3" tip and i was outa there.

Just to cure that damn suspicious bug in my stomach i crawled under my truck this morning and took a closer look at that mean soundin muffler. All that is printed on the outside the I can see is the Flowmaster logo and some patient numbers. Is there any way I can tell by looking at the installed muffler if it is in fact a super-40 and what part number??? I am certin its a flowmaster...no doubt in my mind, but im just wondering if maybe he put on a cheaper original 40 series since i never really saw where the muffler came from.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will have to dig out the tape measure and crawl back under tommorrow. I just noticed the dementions you listed are center in and offset out. The muffler he installed is offset in and center out. Is this any sort of isue or does it not matter?

·
Keystoner
5,534 Posts
should be marked on the muffler. Hard to see

·
Pimp On Sir Don
12,782 Posts
My FM50 had no designation on it as to what series it was. IDK if the same holds true for the 40's though.

The reversal of the C/O to O/C is not a problem really proviided they didn't screw up and turn the muffler around where it's actually going in the out and out the in. It WILL say in /out on the muffler so you may want to check that.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok well it finnaly stopped raining so I got under there and measured it. Rough measurements I got are 4 X 9.5 X 13.

Flowmaster Muffler measurments:
Super 40 = 5 X 10 X 13
Reg 40 = 4 X 9.75 X 13
40 Delta = 4 X 9.75 X 13

Well I was off by .25" on my measurement but it looks like he gave me either a Regular 40 series or a Delta 40 series... Any way to determine if this is a regular 40 or a delta 40 since the case measurments are the same?

I made sure I said Super 40 every time while I told this guy what I wanted...
What really is the difference in these mufflers and is it worth me going back to the shop and bitching about it a week later???

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Come to think of it...i shoulda realized that it wasn't a super-40 as soon as i saw the silver muffler...all super 40s are black aren't they???

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.