DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Giddy-up...
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, let's set aside the cost and tedious install involved for a moment and just hear me out... :crazy:

Header-wrap.

Yea, you heard me... What if a person was to wrap not only their headers, but the muffler and pipes almost all the way to the tips? Would this not accomplish a great many things? Like retaining the heat better within the tailpipe all the way back?

Also, as I understand the way cab-drone works, it's more or less resonation, depending on frequency, from the muffler and tailpipe depending mostly on the length of the exhaust and vibrations of the sound within the exhaust, right? Would this not assist in that as well?

Woke up in the middle of the night last night with this, of all things, on my mind. WTF!?! :huh:

So... pick this theory apart for me and tell me why it would or would not work.

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
In theory I cannot see where it would hurt.. I mean hell, every little bit helps. I dont know why everyone seems to doubt me on this issue, But I had TERRIBLE drone with my exhaust setup.....Until I simply dumped the exhaust immediately aft my muffler...

92% of the Drone was instantly gone. But the header wrap sounds like a good idea. Not sure it would entirely kill the drone, but it could help greatly.

My exhaust guy informed me that allot of the drone is actually coming from resonance in the bed, vibrating through the rear of the cab. Kinda like a huge speaker box...

·
Giddy-up...
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If that was the case, wouldn't all the folks with rubber, spray-in bedliners have zero drone? Or wouldn't a few cans of undercoat on the bottom of the bed eliminate it too?

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
Well, I tend to agree with you. And trust me, Im NO expert on Exhaust. But my guy swore to me if I dumped my exhaust I would lose most of the drone... and bam... he was absolutely correct. He tried to explain it in all that high-tech exhaust physics talk all to little avail... Something about the hangers, The length, The frequency vs. air space, etc etc... and that most people dont realize that a major factor in drone was the Bed... Hell, I dunno, like I said all I know is that when I dumped it, it actually sounded better (NOT louder) and the drone was all but gone.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Wrapping the headers and or exhaust tubing is a cheap hot-rod tweak to steal a little more peak power. It's also an invite for corrosion, as the wrap will attract and hold moisture. I have wrapped exhaust on a track bike a time or two, but those are not road-going daily drivers, FWIW.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Well I think I am going to try the dump theory this weekend. My magnaflow resonates horribly and am getting sick of it at 2000 rpm's. Will post the results.

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
jeffvb9 said:
Well I think I am going to try the dump theory this weekend. My magnaflow resonates horribly and am getting sick of it at 2000 rpm's. Will post the results.
Be sure to Object the Turn-downs similarly (Not straight down and not straight 90 degress):

Attachments

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hey Blackin, I'll bet you had your resonator removed when you had the new muffler put on. Why don't you use the stock tail pipe with factory resonator? That's what I'm doing with my Flowmaster and I get very little drone, FWIW.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
dskirtech said:
My exhaust guy informed me that allot of the drone is actually coming from resonance in the bed, vibrating through the rear of the cab. Kinda like a huge speaker box...
Alright someone with eftermarket exhaust no resonater ,who is doing some suspension work who is taking off their bed conduct this experiment, with the bed off i bet the drone will be gone, just like Dane had stated, the bed acts like a speaker box resonating like crazy thru the cab.. Also i heard the shorter the rear tailpipe changes the frequency , kinda like a port tube , haha and thus with little experimenting you probably could find the sweet spot with no resonance .. Dumping the exhaust i did hear works well, but much louder exhaust. What ive experienced was the sound of my magnaflow without the resonator was awsome but like everyone else , the drone was way too much, with the res backed on helped it dramatically, so obviously its either dump it to the right angle after the muffler or leave the res on if you want no or minimal drone!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
harmonics are the cause of drone.if i remember correctly theres a rule of thumb of ehaust pipe of being longer or shorter than i believe 66 inches.the sound wave pulses do funny things right around that length so go as short or longer than 66 inches to solve the droning problem.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hey Tommyboy, do you have a spray-in liner on your truck? I do, a Line-X, and I believe the liner acts to quell the vibration and harmonic resonance as well.

:twocents:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Another thought...am I the only person the least bit worried about the prospect of exhaust gasses finding their way into the passenger compartment of a QC pickup if the exhaust is dumped right beneath the floorpan?

A guy who uses his Ram as a work truck, or a hunter for instance, might be sitting in his running truck during the winter for long periods of time. Perhaps a good reason to have a full tail pipe all the way out the back?

Just throwing that out there...

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Remorseful said:
Hey Tommyboy, do you have a spray-in liner on your truck? I do, a Line-X, and I believe the liner acts to quell the vibration and harmonic resonance as well.

:twocents:
No i dont have the line-X , i guess that would help a bit too as that may insulate the bed , that also was stated by someone as well, anyone else with any input with the Line-x and resonation, Very Good point!!!
But again i am happy with my muffler and stock resonater, it sounds just right..

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
Remorseful said:
Another thought...am I the only person the least bit worried about the prospect of exhaust gasses finding their way into the passenger compartment of a QC pickup if the exhaust is dumped right beneath the floorpan?

A guy who uses his Ram as a work truck, or a hunter for instance, might be sitting in his running truck during the winter for long periods of time. Perhaps a good reason to have a full tail pipe all the way out the back?

Just throwing that out there...

While I do see your point, I really dont think that would be much of a concern.. I mean, Ventilation is there.. The heat generated under your vehicle actually creates a significant movement of air (draft) up and out from under your ride. Also, having the Turndowns at that angle, You can actually put your hand a foot away from the side of the truck below the rocker panel and feel the exhaust flow at idle... So If ANY C2O gets into the cab, i would probably guess it would be so miniscule that you wouldnt have to fear it unless you lived in the vehicle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.