DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I was putting the helper springs on the other day, I noticed that the shocks on my 99 Dodge Durango are the original factory ones and I want to replace them. They still ride ok, but I want to upgrade.

I have found seven different brands that say they fit:

Bilstein
Edelbrock
Fabtech
KYB
Monroe
Pro Comp
Rancho

Now, I don't know anything about Bilstein, Fabtech or KYB. I've used Rancho before and they seem to ride hard. Pro Comps seem flimsy. I had Monroes on my cars before, they ride smooth. The Edelbrocks seem interesting and are PRETTY, PRETTY, SHINY, SHINY! Are they as good as all the other Edelbrock products?

http://www.car-stuff.com/performance/brand.php?make=7&year=1999&model=276&category=9&part_name=26

Note: This is a street truck and DD. If it sees a trail, it means I am lost!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I want to upgrade my shocks as well, Michael. Any info would be great that you find out. I'm thinking about Rancho's, as they seem to be a favorite, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
76 Posts
IDK about the Edelbrocks but I got Bilsteins and I am very happy with them. IDK how much better they perform than the stockers because I bought my D used and my shocks were garbage from day 1. (I could compress them by hand :WHT: )

·
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,435 Posts
Monroe and Rancho are owned by Tenneco. My bro has the adjustable Rancho's, loves them, dials them hard for towing, soft around town. I really like my Sensatracs, the Reflex's are even stiffer if you like to spill your coffee. If I were going for shocks again, for a few extra bucks I'd get the adjustables. It's also buy 3/get 1 free right now.

·
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,435 Posts
michaeljr5 said:
Cool beans. I still wish I could find out more about the Edelbrocks.
just google the model you like with the word 'review' after it

·
Registered
190 Posts
When I bought mine it was a toss up between Bilstein & Edelbrock, I chose Bilstein based on the reviews that I have read. I am very happy with them but I have only ever had stocks shocks before, these are my first after market set.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
If you're worried about a stiff ride, skip the Bilsteins & look at Rancho or Tokicos.

·
Pimp On Sir Don
12,782 Posts
RANCHO ADJUSTABLES. Don't waste your money, get the honey. Wish I would have taken my own advice!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've had Rancho 5000s and I won't ever buy them again. I was warned against the Bilstens because they leak in extreme cold. (I live in Alaska.) So far it's between the Rancho 9000s and the Edelbrocks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Shocking!

Do yourself a big favor and stay away from KYB. I've raced and rallied in the far past, and all we'd ever use was Bilstein. They are fabulous shocks IF they make them for your vehicle; and they are available.
When it was time to change my '98's, I shopped around and nobody had Bilsteins in stock. Kept hearing stories of the container load of them being on the boat from Europe, but nobody could produce them. I went with KYBs that everyone had in stock.
KYB would like you to believe they are a cheaper, Jap-built Bilstein. Not true. They are buckboard stiff, just for the sake of being stiff. When it gets cold, it gets worse -- like there is no suspension travel at all. I finally couldn't take it anymore, and junked the rears at only 5,000 miles and put in whatever Monroes my local dealer had in stock. Still seems stiff, but no where near as bad as the ride was with the KYBs.

Sorry, I don't know anything about Edlebrock, but it seems to me that buying a "pretty" shock is like wearing "pretty" underwear that no one ever sees! :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.