DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allright guys, need ideas on why my brand new professionally built engine has no oil pressure. It seems to be moving some oil because the filter filled with oil and there is oil on the bottom of the sending unit. but I have tried 2 different types of pressure gauges and neither budge. Is there anything to check before I rip it all out again?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try a new sending unit, and be sure it is ment for use with a gauge not an oil light.
bought new sending unit for the factory gauge and tried an aftermarket unit and gauge. hooked it up to air to verify it works. Checked the galley plug in the motor and it is there. I used a K&N oil filter anyone have issues with them? I am getting ready to hook up a mechanical gauge in a few and see what i have.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mechanichal gauge barely moved. Started engine with no sending unit and small amount of oil (1/4 cup maybe) poured onto the floor.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
bought new sending unit for the factory gauge and tried an aftermarket unit and gauge. hooked it up to air to verify it works. Checked the galley plug in the motor and it is there. I used a K&N oil filter anyone have issues with them? I am getting ready to hook up a mechanical gauge in a few and see what i have.
how did you check it?

needs to be 7 1/2 to 7 11/16 from the top of the block....stiff wire stuck down in the passage works good and the plug needs to be coated with mopar mount adhesive...if its to low the pan needs to come off along with the #5 cap

any lifter noise?

edit....this is were priming the motor pryer to install would of cought this

·
Registered
72 Posts
How did you go about priming the oil pump? Was anything put in or over the pick-up tube screen to hold the prime?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well good news and bad. I have oil pressure now. I have an 8 qt custom pan on the engine and with 8 qts of oil in it, it showed above the max line on the new dipstick that came with the pan. On a whim I added 2 more quarts of oil and I get 30 psi. Now I need to go talk to the engine shop about the pickup tube they used. I don't know if the dipstick is wrong, the pick up tube, or what but at least I have a direction to go in now.

·
Registered
493 Posts
i dont think your oil pump pick up is low enough... with 8 quarts in an 8 quart pan, you would expect to still be able to get oil a quart or two below that amount.

you havent tried to crank it yet have you?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have an 8 qt custom pan on the engine
What was the reasoning behind the 8qt pan? You just going for longer service intervals, or cooling capacity? That seems like a excessive amount for something that still has a shelf life to hold contaminates regardless of volume.

·
Ram Racer
1,584 Posts
Hope you didnt let it run too long, could be costly :ugh

·
Chrysler faithful
1,141 Posts
What was the reasoning behind the 8qt pan? You just going for longer service intervals, or cooling capacity? That seems like a excessive amount for something that still has a shelf life to hold contaminates regardless of volume.
Factory oil volume on my V10 is 7 quarts.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Factory oil volume on my V10 is 7 quarts.
You also have an extra set of journals, not to mention a longer block (longer oil pan). If you chopped the last 2 cylinders off, you would only need about 5qt. in the pan. This is totally non-relevant to Astaroth.

·
Chrysler faithful
1,141 Posts
You also have an extra set of journals, not to mention a longer block (longer oil pan). If you chopped the last 2 cylinders off, you would only need about 5qt. in the pan. This is totally non-relevant to Astaroth.
Just sayin', there's nothing strange about increasing the oil volume. There are several benefits to it beyond extending the service interval.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
you should have oil pressure with 1 qt of oil in the pan, some thing is not right in there. get it checked out before you do damage

·
Big Green
8,318 Posts
I agree make sure they used the right pump pickup tube for the bigger pan so it is low enough to go in the oil.

·
Registered
29 Posts
RICK!!!!!!

Just sayin', there's nothing strange about increasing the oil volume. There are several benefits to it beyond extending the service interval.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK, I dropped the pan and I know why I have no pressure. I got a melling oil pump but when I bought the oil pan, the guy sent me a high volume deep sump pickup. the pickup bolts to the bottom of the oil pump. however the normal location for the oil pump pickup is a screw in tube in the side of the pump. So when the engine shop put the pan on, they bolted the new pick up on the bottom. there is nothing screwed in the the hole on the side of the oil pump so it is sucking air. So tell me if I am wrong, but if I just plug the pickup hole with a threaded plug, will that fix the issue? I have never seen nor can I find on the internet any info on using a pickup tube that bolts on the bottom of the pump. Any one heard of this setup before?

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.