DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Sport'in
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With a few great tips here on DT I was able to change the plugs fairly easy. Once you figure out how much of a contortionist you can be everything seamed pretty easy. There was only a minimal use of some four letter words and some cuts on my hands, but it was worth it. I used the standard NGK V-Powers and reset the PCM, man what a difference in the way the truck runs. Thanks to all the people who have put there input on the tips and tricks on how to do this.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Glad to hear that you got through it :rck: I'll be doing my own in a year or so, and the plugs beneath the vacuum assist (master cylinder?) looks like a pain in the @$$.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
yeah lets get a list of tools that we need to change these plugs.....

Bill those looks hard but i know the last one on the passenger side is a ******F***ER!
Changed the plugs this weekend...could hardly slip the boot off of that last one....

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
FastEd1500 said:
Hey EddieHemi how many miles did you have before you changed your plugs?
30,000 is a good #

·
Coolest Ram Club in FL
4,295 Posts
Glad you made it out alive

·
2004 Black_Hemi_QC
1,688 Posts
Well, i'm about to take the plunge........figured I paid enough to the dealer for the tranny, diffs and transfer case. I have al the tools including the swivels to do this job but I have been procrastinating...lol. I just gota go buy the 16 plugs....maintaining this truck ain't cheap.....but owning and driving it is priceless. I still get nice comments on it...I was worried that the dealer wouldn't be able to match the paint after that overpass incident....but she is as good as new...they even painted my canopy with the same paint. It used to be a little darker than my truck and now it all matches.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Good deal....let us know how it goes when you finally do it...!

·
Sport'in
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FastEd1500 said:
Hey EddieHemi how many miles did you have before you changed your plugs?
If you use the standard plugs you will need to change them about every 30,000 miles.

·
Sport'in
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
bill1029 said:
Glad to hear that you got through it :rck: I'll be doing my own in a year or so, and the plugs beneath the vacuum assist (master cylinder?) looks like a pain in the @$$.
Once you figure out how to support yourself while leaning over the engine, it isn't too bad. You only need a few simple tools to do it. The ones I used are as follows:

For the plugs
1 - 3/8 drive Rachet w/ a 5/8 spark plug socket (to take old plugs out), 5/8 deepsocket (to install plugs), 3/8 drive universal swivel, and a 3/8 drive 3" extension

For the Hemi hat and coils
1 - 1/4 drive Rachet, 10 mm regular socket, 10 mm deep socket (to tighten and loosen the coil bolts after I broke them loose with the regular socket and rachet) and a 6" extension just to help you reach into the engine bay while taking off the hemi hat.

Don't forget to use ani-seeze on all the new plugs. And I also reset my PCM after installing the plugs.

That is about all you need. If you have any questions PM me and I will help you out as much as I can. I know on my next plug change (if I don't trade the truck in before it needs it) it will be a lot easier.

·
Registered
26 Posts
What is the reason of reseting the PCM and how is this process done.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
:cheerl: :cheerl: :cheerl: :bman: :bman: :bman: :cheers:

·
Hemi2nV
7,813 Posts
Im at 33k i need to change my plugs pretty soon....

·
Sport'in
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
waldershrek said:
Yeah, why is is necessary to reset the computer?
It isn't necessary to do this. I had 60,000 miles on the truck and it has never been done, so the truck has set the computer to the way I have been driving. When gas went way up I babied the hell out of the truck and now that is back down to something I can afford better, I want all the power I can get out of it. So that is why I reset the PCM.

·
Sport'in
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hoot said:
What is the reason of reseting the PCM and how is this process done.

Thanks
mheideman said:
Pull the fuse under the hood (#23 ) turn your ignition to the "on" position (DO NOT START) wait for ALL the dings to stop. About 30 seconds, because there are two sets of dings a couple seconds apart. Truck drove different for a day or two, then began driving a little better than before. I think the PCM adapts to your mods much faster this way.
If you buckle the drivers seatbelt while you are doing this you will hear 2 chimes. After you hear the chimes the PCM has been reset.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
EddieHemi said:
If you buckle the drivers seatbelt while you are doing this you will hear 2 chimes. After you hear the chimes the PCM has been reset.
do you have to buckle the seat belt...I never do....

·
Sport'in
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
kicksave said:
do you have to buckle the seat belt...I never do....
No you don't have to, it just eliminates all the chimes you don't need to hear.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Ohhhh.....LOL :cheers:

·
Registered
26 Posts
So how is this reseting the PCM done? And where is it?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.