DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
28,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a long story, so bear with me guys...

OK, so this is officially the last time that I will race on the street for a LONG LONG LONG time!! I was on my way home from my girlfriends appartment and I saw this dropped white Chevy that I have raced many times before. He always tries to race me and I always beet him, but he wanted to go again today as well. So we raced 5 times on about a 4 mile stretch, and I pegged my speedo out 3 times. Well, a tahoe pulls up next to us and another suv gets behind me, but I couldnt tell what it was by its headlights. So we all slow down to about 65mph and then we hit it and as soon as I hit 100mph, the guy behind me turns his siren on and all the flashing lights...SHIT!! So I pull into the turn lane immediately, and the silverado and tahoe keep moving. The officer pulls beside me and says "pull over and wait right here". So I pull over and wait while he chases down the other vehicles. I am there for about 5 or 6 minutes and I can see him the whole time about a mile in front of me with the chevy truck pulled over. Finally, another cop pulls up behind me and says "I appreciate your honesty sir for waiting here like the other officer said. Now let me see your liscence and proof of insurance." He then tells me to pull ahead and park behind that other officer and he followed me closely the whole way. When I get to the other cop, he tells me to get out of the truck and put my hands on my tailgate...Then he searches me and asks if he can look in the truck...then he asks if I have been drinking etc... I wasnt drinking and had nothing at all inside my truck because it is stripped down and ready for the track tomorrow so I let him search the truck. He tells me that street racing is a class A misdemeanor and that he can take me to jail right now. Then asks what I was doing. I said "being stupid". He asked me if we were going to race and I told him "yes", and then he went back to his vehicle while the 2nd cop stayed beside me. When he came back, he told me that if he ever sees me race, change lanes without a blinker, go 1mph over the limit, roll through a stop sign, etc, he said he would write me a ticket for everything he could possibly find on my truck. Then he gave me my liscence and insurance back and said "I should take you to jail right now, but its 2am and I'm too tired for that...now get your ass out of here". I told him "thank you sir" and got back in my truck. I then put my liscence away and started the truck. As I backed up to pull around his vehicle, he has a big smile on his face and says "You would have beat him right??". I smiled and said I beat him 5 times before you pulled me over. Then he said, "I know...I watched all 5 races and I appreciate you actually telling me the truth." Then he asked me what I had done to the truck, and I told him. And his final words were "I can only hope that my dodge looks as good and runs as strong as yours did tonight. You have a nice evening and be safe". Then I slowly pulled away, and the chevy driver was still sitting in the grass by his truck. He was there for a good 10 minutes, and was still there when I left, so I dont know if he went free or not. The cop didnt even give me a written warning...just verbal.

So, in short...NO MORE STREET RACING FOR ME!!!

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Honesty works

Not to mention you got lucky with a Dodge truck owner! You could probably talk your way out of a ticket next time with him by offering a ride.

I would say that was a good kill story, but 5 times, not to mention times before,, It's not a surprise anymore.

·
Registered
28,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
77Warlock said:
Honesty works

Not to mention you got lucky with a Dodge truck owner! You could probably talk your way out of a ticket next time with him by offering a ride.

I would say that was a good kill story, but 5 times, not to mention times before,, It's not a surprise anymore.
He put up a good fight this time around though...He got the jump on me once and I didnt catch him until i was just over 100mph. It was funny though because he jumped it early and as soon as I started crawling back up on him, he let out...haha...he knew I was about to pass him, so he quit before I got there.

·
Too much violence
3,892 Posts
Yep!! You should have gone to jail, or ticketed at the very least. They are really cracking down here, and have a zero tolerance policy; because street racing is so popular with the wee - ones. There have been several street-racing fatalities involving teenagers, and even one fatality involving a State Trooper in a high-speed chase. Where the Trooper tried to catch a kid fleeing a race, and slammed into a tree killing the Trooper on impact.
(RIP)

Anyway - The kid was caught a week later, and they are still trying to sort out the charges against him.

With all do respect, street racing is not cool, but then you already know this, and high-speed pursuits are just too dangerous.

I’m glad your story had a good ending to it, I only hope the other guy parked on grass made the same (I will never do that again – promise to himself – that you did.)

Nevertheless, a good read.

A good deterrent story

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Well that just goes to show you it pays not to lie to the police and that all cops are not just out to give people a hard time and write tickets.

·
Registered
28,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
waldershrek said:
Well that just goes to show you it pays not to lie to the police and that all cops are not just out to give people a hard time and write tickets.
The officer was very serious and rude to me when he first pulled me over, but I cant blame him for what I did. It wasnt until after he told me to leave that he lightened up and my heart started beating again...hahaha

·
Registered
32,956 Posts
Well I got a ticket last weekend for doing 74 in a 55 zone and I was very polite. I was even driving my g/f's Honda Civic!!! What's wrong with this picture!:mad:

·
Spaz
6,375 Posts
You better mean it.. you won't race again...

Guy at work, his son had.. (keyword there.. had) a sweet Camaro. Not sure what year, but it was the doorstop.. lol... as I call 'em.. but anyhoo.. it had a corvette motor, all sorts of good stuff.. but no NOS. But long story short... he'd race it legally.. whoop all sorts of cars....started street racing but told his dad, i'm gonna stop. Takes it out again.... wrecks it bad. Totalled the car, he was okay. Last I heard he was facing about 6 or 7 tickets... not sure what else.

You sure are lucky he let you off.. especially after watching the racing!

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've been that lucky before riding my old motorcycle in VA. Blew past a cop at about 80 in a 35 zone. Soon as I saw him pull out with the lights on I pulled over and waited for him to get there. Luckily he was a bike enthusiast too and after about 20 minutes of talk and trying to run a MI licence, he finally let me go. Needless to say, I also made extra effort of not exceeding the speed (especially in high traffic areas).

·
Premium Member
27,633 Posts
Race 'em at the local track on test & tune night.

You were real lucky.

What numbers should I play for the lotto?

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
mopar fan said:
Well I got a ticket last weekend for doing 74 in a 55 zone and I was very polite. I was even driving my g/f's Honda Civic!!! What's wrong with this picture!:mad:
the fact that you were driving a civic in the first place is whats wrong with it big guy ;)

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
Boyo336 said:
the fact that you were driving a civic in the first place is whats wrong with it big guy ;)
Al (Too Fast...To Furious) LOL

KB

·
Registered
10,824 Posts
mopar fan said:
who knew...LMAO..just messin with ya Al:D

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
19 mph over the limit is what's wrong with the picture. You can usually get away with 10 over though. But obviously it depends on the officer. Some guys are more strict with certain vehicles (Camaros, Firebirds, crotch rockets etc....) and other guys are even across the board no matter what you're driving. But being polite and honest are only going to get you the same treatment and possibly just a warning.

·
Registered
28,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
waldershrek said:
19 mph over the limit is what's wrong with the picture. You can usually get away with 10 over though. But obviously it depends on the officer. Some guys are more strict with certain vehicles (Camaros, Firebirds, crotch rockets etc....) and other guys are even across the board no matter what you're driving. But being polite and honest are only going to get you the same treatment and possibly just a warning.
I was going 70mph over the limit...130 in a 60.

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
His response was to Al's asking what's wrong... comparing his only 19 over to your 70.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Yes, I was referring to the 74 in a 55 but that looks stellar compared to yours! Here in NY if you get stopped and your going over 100 you automatically lose your license on the spot.

·
Registered
32,956 Posts
waldershrek said:
Yes, I was referring to the 74 in a 55 but that looks stellar compared to yours! Here in NY if you get stopped and your going over 100 you automatically lose your license on the spot.
NY is where I got the ticket. I'm not saying I didn't deserve it, I was just comparing the injustice of it! By the way, I went through Cortland on my way to Tupper Lake. My g/f lives in Candor NY.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.