DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
while my truck was in the shop I had to rent a car so I seen that they had a magnum ,so I took it to see how I liked it. :rck: I love it, the only prob was that it had the 2.7 v-6. I could not believe how comfy it was and how much space there was for a tall guy like me,I am 6,2. My wife said this will be the next car we will get as soon as we get the truck paid off,which that will be about 10 months.
Here is the question. I know I want the RT hemi. what is best, RWD or AWD?
or should I waite for the SRT-8. I already looking into aftermarket hoods. I want either the shacker or RK sports viper. Also what upgrades are there besides exhuast and air filters. do they make supercharges or turbo's for them?
The funniest thing thatr happen while driving the magnum was a new durango pulled up besides me and rolled down the window, a guy aked me "what you got in that ".. we both laughed.
 

·
AWD is the right way
Joined
·
165 Posts
If you are waitng ten months, then the list of aftermarket parts should increase well beyond what is available today.

You will most likely have to pay a premuim to get an SRT 8, whereas the RT should be available with decent discounts. That will depend somewhat on where you live.

I have the AWD becuse I think that AWD is a great idea and I don't ever intend to drive it in snow. It sits one inch higher and weighs about 200 lbs more, won't burn rubber and aftermarket wheels are harder to find. Otherwise, anything you can do to the RWD can be done to the AWD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I live in Kansas City so we get snow sometimes,well mostly ICE. Is it true from what I heard,that AWD get worse gas milage then RWD and it will be more costly in the end if service is needed. I think you are right about the RT vs SRT-8 being more availble plus I cant waite until I can see the red with lava clearcoat or what ever it is.... ;)
 

·
Mainiac
Joined
·
526 Posts
which one is 'best' is highly subjective. An AWD Magnum is not just a snow-zone car: AWD is hot for a lot of reasons that have nothing to do with snow.

However, in your specific circumatsnces will you benefit from the AWD? Good question. Both platforms have things that recommend each... and it depends on your state of mind as to whether AWD is over-the-top or essential... and again it has bupkis to do with whether it snows where you live (unless it REALLY snows).

Is all of that vague and unhelpful enough? I'll say this unequivocally: Don't buy the SRT-8 unless your discretionary income lets you ignore the lack of MDS and dealer markup (vs. invoice+) that you'll pay for an RT. To me an SRT-8 is kewl but I don't have 40k + to blow on an impractical toy (or at least one thats more disgustingly impractical than my RT).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hear you from the price differance between the RT and the SRT I could have a kicken magnum with all the preformance goodies to smoke a SRT.I just want to bring back the mopar preformance agian and tired of these pocket rocket wannabe's.I just love the look of a high preformance station wagon and after thinking I think I will get the shaker hood..... By the way I will not buy a new one, defantly a used magnum thus saving but load of money
 

·
Jeep Driver
Joined
·
32,497 Posts
I'd like to rent a Magnum. But the problem is, I wouldn't want to give it back. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
racedraper said:
I already looking into aftermarket hoods. I want either the shacker or RK sports viper. Also what upgrades are there besides exhuast and air filters. do they make supercharges or turbo's for them?
As a matter of fact, several RT owner's on this forum have already put a deposit down on the GS Motorsports super charger. I hear up to 500 RWHP is possible. Holy Cow!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
racedraper said:
I hear you from the price differance between the RT and the SRT I could have a kicken magnum with all the preformance goodies to smoke a SRT.I just want to bring back the mopar preformance agian and tired of these pocket rocket wannabe's.I just love the look of a high preformance station wagon and after thinking I think I will get the shaker hood..... By the way I will not buy a new one, defantly a used magnum thus saving but load of money

Probably not true. Assuming approx. a $5K difference between RT and SRT-8 you couldn't even get the S/C alone. Much less the wheel/tire upgrade, suspencsion upgrade, better brakes etc.

If you just want a car that can beat an SRT-9 then about $6500 for the S/C and needed mods, jets/headers etc. and you can outrun one in a straight line. You will still have to put more money in to get the 20" rims, lower the car and put stiffer springs... Well, you get the idea, it's not cheaper to upgrade an R/T to SRT-8 specs.

Plus remember that it will not have the same resale value.
 

·
AWD is the right way
Joined
·
165 Posts
racedraper said:
I live in Kansas City so we get snow sometimes,well mostly ICE. Is it true from what I heard,that AWD get worse gas milage then RWD and it will be more costly in the end if service is needed. I think you are right about the RT vs SRT-8 being more availble plus I cant waite until I can see the red with lava clearcoat or what ever it is.... ;)
Actually, I get better mileage than many of the reports from the RT RWD's, about 17 around town and 21 on the highway. Also, it appears that the AWD's do not have the odd tire wear issues that many RWD's are reporting.

I don't think the additional service cost issue is very significant. The drive trains, past the transmission, for any newer car are not a high failure item, almost non existent.

However, I do think you idea of buying a stock used RT and then modding to your desire has a lot of merit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
racedraper said:
I hear you from the price differance between the RT and the SRT I could have a kicken magnum with all the preformance goodies to smoke a SRT.
Don't count on that.
KK
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well I had to give back the magnum today...... it was a sad day..But me and my wife are defently going to get one and will be a RT( I would like a SRT but $$$$) I can close my eyes and smell the new car sent.lol
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top