DodgeTalk Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm brand new here. I inherited a 2019 6.4L Limited Hemi truck and went to the pump for the first time today. Stupidly I put diesel (out of habit) in this gas truck.
I've been reading a number of threads online on how to drain a RAM 2500 tank but most cater to diesel 6.7L.
Here's what I learned:
  • You can't siphon out of the tank like the good ol' days because of fuel theft protection.
  • Fuel filters are inside the tank and there are no external filters that I can disconnect to drain fuel
  • Not to start the engine (obviously)
I know I could have it towed to the dealership, but my father used to be an auto mechanic and he's offered to help me tomorrow.

Would someone have any tips on how to drain the tank of a gas 6.4L HEMI truck?

·
Red Trucker
2,749 Posts
Welcome to the forum 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
Now that I'm done laughing (deal with it, I wasn't the dumb one lol):
Your options here are either drop the tank out from underneath, pull the fuel pump and drain it, or pop the bed up/off, pull the fuel pump and empty it.
Just FYI, anti-siphon technology has been fitted to US vehicles for YEARS lol. Most modern gas engine vehicles have the filter in the tank on the pump; it's normally non-serviceable but you might get lucky. Some vehicles (not this case) have an external fuel filter as well as the in tank one.
I have known entirely too many people who have done this to government vehicles.....it's usually funny unless I have to fix it lol.
Things are probably a bit more complicated underneath than your father may be used to (you didn't say how long ago he used to be). Be careful, be gentle. Breaking things on these truck nowadays gets expensive quickly. Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
Now that I'm done laughing (deal with it, I wasn't the dumb one lol):
Your options here are either drop the tank out from underneath, pull the fuel pump and drain it, or pop the bed up/off, pull the fuel pump and empty it.
Just FYI, anti-siphon technology has been fitted to US vehicles for YEARS lol. Most modern gas engine vehicles have the filter in the tank on the pump; it's normally non-serviceable but you might get lucky. Some vehicles (not this case) have an external fuel filter as well as the in tank one.
I have known entirely too many people who have done this to government vehicles.....it's usually funny unless I have to fix it lol.
Things are probably a bit more complicated underneath than your father may be used to (you didn't say how long ago he used to be). Be careful, be gentle. Breaking things on these truck nowadays gets expensive quickly. Good luck!
Thanks man, that helped!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts