DodgeTalk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to keep my tires inflated to 80-85 PSI and that creates a rough ride. My truck sees more unloaded miles than towing miles.

It's not lifted and I use it for what it was designed for, highway use and towing.

I would like to change out my shocks to get a smoother ride. Is this do-able or is it a lost cause?

Which ones?

Thanks,
Windy

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Truck is in signature and tows what's in signature.

No it don't ride like a door on wheels, it's a truck rides like a truck. Just looking for some thing to dampen the road bumps when unloaded.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
There are a lot of Bilstein fans around here, I have the Rancho 9000's with the air compressor & controller. For what it's worth, if and when I ever need new shocks I'll probably go with one of the Bilstein series.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I personally like Bilsteins, but they will not help soften the ride for tires with that much pressure. Assuming the tires are rated for that pressure, which they probably are, that is where they should be towing the fifth wheel in your signature. However that is way too much for driving empty. Besides the rough ride, the tires will wear prematurely (wear the center of the tread) and you will have decreased traction due to a smaller contact patch and the tires tendency to bounce over bumps and at times be airborne and not in contact with the road.

Individuals who use their vehicle primarily for towing and only short trips empty will often remain aired up, but if most of your driving is empty, you should air down and then air up when towing. There should be a sticker on the driver's door or B-pillar which will have the tire pressures for empty and maximum load.

My fifth wheel is much lighter than yours and I run 46 PSI front, 42 PSI rear when empty and 50 PSI front, 62 PSI rear when towing. The Cummins is much heavier than the Hemi, so the front of your truck is going to be heavier than mine, but I would think empty you should be about 50 to 55 PSI and rear 45 to 50 PSI.

·
Registered MOPAR User
9,323 Posts
No Monroe's! I'm going Rancho 9000x next.

My Bfg's are running 47 rear & 50 PSi front with marginal oscilation on the monroes'. I ran 60-65psi at one point and it was real bad on oscillations. 40 psi is better but the sidewall bulges fairly good down there.

·
Power Wagon #1605
16,086 Posts
Bilstein is the way to go IMO

·
Registered
291 Posts
:bawl:Sorry to burst everyone's bubble, but I am not really a Bilstein fan. Not for any particular reason except that I have tried the KYB shocks and LOVE them. I have a set of rear's on my wife's van. I have the Gas-A-Just series on the front of my truck and the MonoMax on the rear. They carry the same warranty as the Bilstein's do and they are cheaper and they perform well to boot. I just love the ride and handling. This may sound like a commercial but I just love those shocks.:rck:

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
No bubble burst here. There are several good shocks out there. I am just saying I don't think anyone would be disappointed with Bilsteins, but there are other good quality shocks as well. I actually have KYBs on my Charger and Bilsteins on the Durango and the Power Wagon (OEM for the PW).

All is well.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Oh, I agree, I don't think anyone would be disappointed with the Bilstein's either. In fact, I considered purchasing a set for my truck when I replaced the shocks, but the price was just ridiculous. Maybe I wasn't shopping with the right dealers but I just couldn't justify that much money on them when the KYB's perform as well as they (the KYB's) do.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I Have been disappointed with my Bilsteins. I bought all four as a set for my truck and I have to say that the improvement was minimal and definitely NOT worth the 300 plus I spent. I also agree that you need to air down the tires when empty, running 80PSI empty is just asking for a beating, for you and the centers of the rear tires. I run 60PSI in the front and 50 or 45 in the rear empty and stay with 60 in the front and 65-70 in the rear with the trailer and bed loaded. With a very full load of green firewood I ran 75 once. Air down, then reconsider the need for expensive shocks. If you don't have an air compressor to air up when getting ready to tow, that may be a cheaper investment in the long run especially when you consider a cheaper small compressor and the cost of new tires.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.