DodgeTalk Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
On my Dakota I had the same noise. Turned out to be the rear end. The rear end crapped out. The driver's side bearing that supports the differential in the axle housing went bad. Swapped the rear end out. Now no noise. Check it out. Won't cost you anything but some time. Check axle end play, check pinion shaft for side play at yoke as well as end play at yoke.
Thank you 44MagLeo.

I will definitely check the rear end axle end play and the pinion shaft when I jack my truck up to mount the original-sized spare tire on the right front as a test.

I can't think of any examples off hand, but so many times in troubleshooting problems over the years, I have found conditions or events that you could never have imagined would cause a specific problem, yet they were in fact the source of the problem.

This is just the kind of real-life experience I was hoping to uncover.

Thanks to everyone for these good and experienced-based problem solving suggestions. I will let you know how I make out.

Regards,

Lowboy

·
Registered
33 Posts
That's what I would check is the differential check fluid level if it ever gets to low it gets hot and the whine will never go away even if you fill it. It will still work unless it's to damaged but it will always whine

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
That's what I would check is the differential check fluid level if it ever gets to low it gets hot and the whine will never go away even if you fill it. It will still work unless it's to damaged but it will always whine
Thanks dmalou123. No problem with the fluid level. I just changed out the fluid at 100,000 miles in the spring.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Today I mounted the stock spare tire first on the right front, then on the left front. Basically that did not make a difference in the humming noise.

Friday, I am bringing the truck back to Daigle's, the most experienced alignment shop in the city to see if they can test drive it and dig deeper into the drive line and rear wheels. Maybe they can spin all the wheels using their dynamic balancer.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts