DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Have a 2007 Durango with 5.7L and 3.92 gears on a stock set up.
I use a light foot and Im still getting 10 mpg city, 13 mpg highway
My plan is to do the elimination of the resinator and muffler, so Ill have a straight pipe and I will also add a K&N Air charger, Can anyone on this entire forum tell me if I will achieve 14 mpg. I am willing to do any mods that will give me more mpg I can care less about performance at this time due to the price of gas. If any one can help me please respond I need it. I figure easy air in easy air out but I have not done anything yet due to waiting on the knowledge and instruction of the forum.

· Registered
13,585 Posts
Get a AirRam power wire to start, AirRaid Mit tube and a K&N or Amsoil filter (don't do the whole CAI!). Resonator chop might help as well, based on my driving I just go faster with the full exhaust, there might be savings in gas but it makes it so much harder to keep the foot out of her. Keep rpm's below 2000!

How many miles do you have on her? I would say you need at least 5000 to break her in and loosen up more.

· RangoArkie
1,471 Posts
Unfortunately, your city mileage of 10mpg probably won't get much better. Your highway will. You have the advantage of MDS on your 07 which will shut off 4 cylinders when you're on level terrain. Your 3.92 gears will lower your fuel mileage slightly compared to the 3.55 gears, but you'll be able to tow an extra 1,500 lbs..

I have an 06 5.7 3.55 gears with 53,000 kms, and I get 20-22 mpg hwy at 55 mph (90 km/hr). I've seen it as high as 24 mpg on the display on level terrain. But I get 8-10 mpg in the small town I live in as the engine never warms up.

As for mods to help fuel economy, I put a drop-in K&N filter into the stock box to avoid the noise of a CAI. I'll be getting AirRam's power wire in the spring (as it won't help in the winter up here in Canada), and I'm considering putting in an electric fan (Flex-a-Lite 180) to gain mpg and free up some engine HP.

Hope this helps.

· Registered
13,585 Posts
http://www.airram.com/product.php?categoryid=646&productid=21

It plugs into your air intake temperature sensor (AIT). And tell's your engine that the intake air is colder, which changes the engine timing and add's a little more fuel to it. You safe fuel as long you are not wide open throttle (WOT). WOT will increase your fuel consumption. If you have questions either do a search or e-mail Nick at Air Ram. The "power wire" has been discussed endless, you can read for days and get all the info you need to know.

· Registered
13,585 Posts
arkietech said:
Your 3.92 gears will lower your fuel mileage slightly compared to the 3.55 gears
For city driving the 3.92 gears help saving fuel, they hurt on the highway due to higher rev's on the engine.

I'm really surprised how bad the new Durango's are on gas! MDS is a bit of a joke!

· Registered
3,973 Posts
just picked up the power wire myself. You can email Nick at AirRam he is a good guy to talk to. and yes keep it under 2000 rpm's

· Registered
13,585 Posts
Ultimate answer should be....get a Prius! 5500# going around town is not the way to safe gas. Aerodynamics like a barn door don't help on the highway either. All in all there is little room for improvement, the physics are against us! I assume you have a AWD, that doesn't help either!

· Registered MOPAR User
9,389 Posts
Can't stress the RPM's under 2k, It does help!

· Registered
13,585 Posts
bbodyguy said:
Why did people on this board (rightly so) slam the ebay (chip - resistor) and praise the (same thing???) power wire?
I am universally pessimistic, and will slam them both...
Because there are many fried PCM's out there due to wrong install of the eBay resistor! PowerWire is plug and play. Air Ram has a great reputation with real figures! Do you honestly believe to pick up up to 45 HP by adding a resistor to your AIT?

· RangoArkie
1,471 Posts
Hey sca, I wonder if bbodyguy would slam your newly patented DEI system? :IDEA:

· Registered
13,585 Posts
Most likely....LOL! I like his statement of being "pessimistic"...I rather have hard fact versus emotions. We are talking about cars and not people or animals. Everything should be based on fact IMO.

· Registered
3,973 Posts
maybe he needs to email Nick to get the answers....

· Registered
3,973 Posts
no you are!! :D anyway sca i would rather trust airram over some yahoo selling a little resistor that has no proof, like airram. just about everyone on here has it or used to (cough, Cough like you) who modded the whole engine.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.