DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently noticed that while coming back from a camping trip my truck MPG dropped from 14-15 MPG to 9-8 MPG and It felt like the truck lost some power I had the fuel injectors cleaned but only took it up to 9-10 MPG. I had the computer read for any engine codes but nothing came out. Has any body had encounter this and how it was resolved.
My truck has a HEMI engine 5.7
Year 2003
Model 2500 Heavy duty
2 WD
Automatic tran
At this point I haven't made any Modifications to the truck.

PS. I was pulling a trailer camper

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
What kind of gas did you use? Maybe you got some of the bad 76 Gas? Brakes stickng?

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
What motor? What trans? What gears?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used supreme gas at chevron and I haven't noticed the brakesd to stick. It just kind of weird. I'm almost afraid to take it to the dealer because every visit it always ends with $200 tab.

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
A tab? It's an 03... so it's less then 3 years. Do you have over 36K on it?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
The premium fuel might be part of your problem. Engines make the most power and get the best gas mileage on the rated octane. Reason being is the HIGHER the octane number, the SLOWER the fuel wil burn. So if the compression and the timing arent tuned for higher octane the F/A mixture will still be burning at the end of the combustion stroke which results in less power.

On another note, is your truck still acting up? was there a head wind or cross wind? where you going up or down a grade?

·
Registered
155 Posts
The way I increased my MPG the best was to get a Superchips Power Programmer. along with a CAI(cold air intake) and exhaust, that will get you the best MPG you'll be able to get from these engines. I was getting about 13 MPG with all the mods I could do. When I added the Superchips I instantly got 17.5 MPG without doing anything else!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes still is acting up. I feels that its using more fuel than before, Could it be the electronic throttle?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Oh, wecome to Dodge Talk Ramline! Check out the many threads on this website and others and you should be able to modify your truck to your liking!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.