DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From my 01 Ram 4x4. Nuclear power? hydrogen? matter/anti-matter pods? I bet Smokey Unik coulda figured out a gadget that would work!!!! I just spent a C note to fill er' up. :mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
493 Posts
mechanical arm under front bumper extends and grabs on the vehicle in front of you :)

·
Ram Pwnage
602 Posts
For a research/design project for Aero Engineering I found a paper where some guys got a 2nd gen Ram 2500 Diesel to get 20+ MPG's with a specially designed tonno cover/bed cap hybrid, and a front air dam, but you won't get as impressive of results out of the gas engines. I live in Lafayette, IN which is hilly, but not mountainous and with a tonno cover, open element filter, and a truck that seems to be running perfectly get just over 10mpg all city driving with several decent hill climbs no matter where i drive, and a ton of small ones.

·
Registered
10,824 Posts
I am averaging 16mpg empty right now and that is mostly town driving with a little highway. Not sure why but my mileage jumped from an average of 11mpg to around 16mpg over the last few weeks. I sure ain't complaining about it though. I got around 12mpg pulling an 18 foot car trailer on hilly backroads. So technically 16-17mpg is kinda pushing it with these trucks for some reason.

·
Platinum 2K R/T
4,054 Posts
Don't forget that the EPA rates a 4x4 Ram with a 360 at 12/16mpg and a 318 at 13/17mpg. EPA ratings are generally overstated. Power requires fuel, period. Adding aero fenders may improve aerodynamics a bit but the added weight and cost doesn't justify the purchase. The key to good gas mileage is coasting - get up to speed and take your foot off the go pedal until you're required to gain forward momentum again. I get great mileage just from doing that and have reached as high as 19.0mpg on the highway and 14mpg around town. I wasn't towing and hauled an 1100lb load plus myself over 300 miles and got 18.3mpg @ 55mph. Keep the speed down and the go pedal up and you'll get good mileage for a TRUCK.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I am getting 12+ in true stop-and-go city traffic (New Orleans, LA) as of this moment, and have gotten as much as 15 in town when the lights are synchronized (this was in WA, not in LA). My highway mpg is about 20 if I keep it around 67 with the cruise control on. You just have to be real easy on the throttle when accelerating, so give yourself extra time to get wherever you are going. I have also noticed that sometimes a small increase or decrease in speed can net large mpg gains (20% or more in town) by getting the motor/tranny into an optimum RPM and gear combo.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I also have the 360, but doing 35 mph nets me 22 mpg while moving, as opposed to 16-17mpg at 30 mph. I have noticed a similar difference between 22-23 mph versus 25mph, with the lower speed getting better fuel economy.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I've been getting 17-19 with my truck driving 55mph recently. This is on the highway but that what most of my driving consist of. Getting would required a strong taliwind! LOL Maybe try driving with direction a tornado some time! LOL Otherwise I agree with the above statment of needing a miracle!!!!!

·
Acts 2:38-39
2,325 Posts
For starters, you can add the same things these guys did in the magazine...to improve your aerodynamics...

Attachments

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Presently I'm gettin' 11.7 in the city and 14.5 on the highway. That's driving like grandpa keeping it under 2k. I recently did a tune up and installed a K&N drop in airfilter. I tried that Ethos stuff on a trip to Utah. My mileage increased to my present numbers while my wallet decreased. I have seen no difference since I used up the ethos stuff (snake oil, save your money). I keep tire pressure adjusted, the truck in tune and RPM's under 2k the best I can. I may have to drive the Kaw or the bcuda more....... markerdown

·
Just Call Me Oz
2,844 Posts
Another good way to kind of guess as to what speed would be best for your truck is get a vacuum guage. Basically works out that the higher the vacuum the better the gas mileage. You can find that sweet spot on the highway where you can have around 15 vacuum while pushhing on the gas. I know for me it is around 50, if I try to maintain 70 I have 0 vacuum. Tall tires do not help ;)

You can kind of train yourself, keep looking at the vacuum guage when ever you floor the gas the vacuum drop right down and it reminds you to let off the gas and try to maintain a little bit of vacuum pressure.

·
2,325 Posts
Here's a sight you can look at: http://www.dodgetrucks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=52115&highlight=mpg . If the link doesn't work, then go to the DTO website, and search for "use Aero tricks to improve MPG on Rams?" in the Engine Tech 2.5L, 3.9L, 5.2L, 5.9L, V10 forum. Some interesting reading here.
I'm getting the Ypipe replaced in my truck Thursday, and plan to install some belly panels to try to cut the aero drag on my truck...

·
Registered
233 Posts
25 mpg is a pipe dream but you can improve your mileage significantly by doing the following:

1. Inflating your tires to their maximum air pressure. The ride will suck but the amount of tread on the road will decrease, which gives you less rolling resistance.
2. Take all the extra crap out of your truck that you don't use regularly.
3. Use "pulse and glide," in town and minimize braking as it robs the truck of momentum. For example, I accelerate semi-quickly (while keeping the RPMs below 2,000) to slightly above my desired speed in town (traffic permitting) and then coast as much as possible. I accelerate down any hills and then get off the gas for as long as possible. If you can see a light turn yellow or red down the road, there is no rush to get there so coast and enjoy using less gas!
4. Use synthetic lubricants in the drivetrain, get a low restriction air filter (14x3 works great and is cheap), get a flee flow exhaust, etc.
5. Don't use AC until the truck is warmed up. I don't use AC in town or at speeds below 45MPH.
6. Take off any brush guards, lights, racks, or anything else that might increase wind resistance.

·
2,325 Posts
Have you removed the radiator clutch fan? It seems to be a big culprit with respect to losing MPG. I took mine off and thus far, MPG seems to be up 1-2, but I've just filled the tank, so I anticipate things may settle down as the miles build up...

·
Just Call Me Oz
2,844 Posts
So when you say you removed your clutch fan you replaced it with an electric fan instead ?

·
2,325 Posts
So when you say you removed your clutch fan you replaced it with an electric fan instead ?
No, I am living on the edge right now...no fan at all. My temp gauge has always stayed left of center, even sitting in traffic, so I am keeping a close eye on it since I removed it. Most folks have installed an electric fan like one from a 3.8 Taurus, a Lincoln Mark VII, a flexalite setup, or the Viper fan.
[edit] I run 40 psi in the tires, and am getting a Flowmaster Ypipe installed tomorrow! I am also going to install a belly panel on the truck, to see what it does to MPG when I drive to Utah this month... (my wife's Avenger has one from the factory!--it also has part of the front grill blocked off, just like the picture above.)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.