Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay i have a 96 plymouth neon SOHC automatic

Im trying to fix it up performance wise and some body work

So far i have a Cold air intake system, im thinking about ordering a chip for it

but can yall name some items and parts that i could install to make it fast and some body tips pleaze

· Registered
101 Posts
well the first thing u can do is get a pcm
its the starting point for all future mods
then u can get a header...
then from there u can just start on the suspension...
and then start doing internals in the engine ie. pistons and cams

body wise... not a big kit fan... but im looking into a kit for mine that gives me more aerodynamics on the front end

i mean theres just so much u can do

go to allpar.com

· Registered
1,303 Posts
sell it. seriously. buy yourself a 1gen dual over head cam r/t or acr or pick up a 2000-2002 2nd gen. don't buy a 2003-2005 neon unless its an SRT-4. either way get a car with a manuel in it if you want to add performance you need a manuel. I would not pour money into a car with an automatic tranny. Spend some time reading the forum here. You will find a wealth of knowledge. Good luck and welcome to DT.

· Registered
2,430 Posts
alaskaneon said:
sell it. seriously. buy yourself a 1gen dual over head cam r/t or acr or pick up a 2000-2002 2nd gen. don't buy a 2003-2005 neon unless its an SRT-4. either way get a car with a manuel in it if you want to add performance you need a manuel. I would not pour money into a car with an automatic tranny. Spend some time reading the forum here. You will find a wealth of knowledge. Good luck and welcome to DT.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1998...179349464QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item320179349464

*ahem*

I agree. Sell your car, buy a faster car. Like mine. :D

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
how much would it cost to switch it to a manual transmission

· Registered
1,303 Posts
it's going to be more than just dropping a tranny into the car. You have to get the pedals out of a donor car, cables, different computer for the car...and I'm probably missing something. If you are really determined to build a performance car, sell your auto and heed the advice I wrote up above. Actually, what riceeater is asking for his car is a great deal, all the work has been done...you get to enjoy the work!

· HoodooGuru
1,565 Posts
I'm sorry to hijack this thread a bit, but evopoweredneon.
11.2 sec in the 1/4 mile u reackon without forced induction? U got that motor strapped to a golf cart or something?
I'm finding it VERY hard to believe unless your track is built on the side of a 30 deg hill!
There are guys on neons.org with more mods in n/a form and are nowhere near that on slicks and in a beer can.

· Registered
1,056 Posts
HoodooGuru said:
I'm sorry to hijack this thread a bit, but evopoweredneon.
11.2 sec in the 1/4 mile u reackon without forced induction? U got that motor strapped to a golf cart or something?
I'm finding it VERY hard to believe unless your track is built on the side of a 30 deg hill!
There are guys on neons.org with more mods in n/a form and are nowhere near that on slicks and in a beer can.
Haha! hoodoo theres another thread on the go with the same arguement!
check it out: http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177024

· So whats UR excuse?
4,520 Posts

· Registered
1,441 Posts
ok i just gotta say ignore everyone elses above comments except rices :p thats a great deal on that car. ne way, if ur car is the car u own and the car u like keep it by all means, but ne way ive done a 5speed swap personally... u dont need the ecu, all u need is:

tranny, clutch, clutch cable, flywheel, bobble strut shock thing in back, pedal assembly, shifter assembly, shifter linkages, also u need to bypass the thing that makes the car think its in park to start it, cant remember wat its called but it goes from the auto shifter to the ignition. its an easy swap. i beleave im missing a few things its been about 2 years sicne the swap lol...

heres a link to my old 1st gen, ignore the gay wing lol... it didnt have that in the end... idk why i ever had that on there... my brother liked it... and he got it for me for xmas... id never have a wing like that otherwise lol...

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2247954/1

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
its really nice except for that wing...lol

but thanx for the help
im only 16 and im trying to take in as much as possible about neons
all my familys have neons including 1 str-4(i hate my brother...lmao)lol

· Registered
1,303 Posts
mopar, you sure about the ecu? I could be wrong, just figured that if howell sells reflashed ecu's for both autos and manuels than there must be a reason. ...and as for my advice, I stand by it. He would be money ahead IF he is wanting more performance. If its his first car and its a sentimental thing then I see your point but if he's 16, and doesn't have a bunch of cash to waste, investing into an auto isn't the best choice, that's the point I was trying to make.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
oh i have no problem getting money

i kno im 16 but i work 28hours a week and go to school for the full day
i get paid like 9$ a hour
so i can afford to put as much cash as i need to in it and also pay insurance(no prob)
and i might consider upgrading to an r/t

· Registered
1,303 Posts
cool. sell the auto and buy an srt-4! Get er done! ;)

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i unno if i want to get it thats too$$$ much i might either switch the tranny,get a 1st or 2nd geration r/t

· Registered
1,303 Posts
buy riceeaters car man! Then give your brother a run for his money!

· Registered
1,441 Posts
lol just swap urs to a mtx if ur honestly interested in performance, thats gives u a huge thing to brag on when ppl ask what uve done to it... and im positive on the ecu's for 1st gens! i drove on the atx ecu for a few months.

· Registered
2,430 Posts
MTX swap is going to run you a few hundred bucks... figure $300 + S/H for a decent trans, $180-ish for a stock clutch or $250-ish for a PT clutch (PT clutch can hold more power, worth the money if you go that route IMO), $20 for booger bushings ('cuz chances are the bushing on whatever cables you get used will be shot), $13 for CV seals (replace them while the trans is out), and another $100 for the rest of the miscellaneous items used (shifter, cables, pedal assembly, clutch cable, bobble strut, trans mount). If you want a PCM too buy a used Mopar unit ($140-ish shipped is about the going rate, used - $220 new). So you're looking at $800-$900 or so for a clean swap done right with a PT clutch and MP PCM, depending on what kind of deal you can get on a trans, how much shipping is, etc... Plus your time to put it together, and you'll have to fab a braket for the bobble strut, ATX K-members don't have one.

alaskaneon said:
buy riceeaters car man! Then give your brother a run for his money!
run for his money? :thatfunny He'd be eating your dust if it's a stock SRT-4. Stock SRT: [email protected], my turbo 1st Gen: [email protected] (slicks). Anyway, I'm not going to cram my car down your throat, but it appears I don't need to... everyone else is telling you to buy it lol. It's not going to run 12.6 straight out of the box as it is. It HAS run 12.6, but it needs a few areas of TLC at the moment, which are listed in the ebay add. (just want to make that clear so you don't go buy it, race it right as it is and whine "it only went 13.XX") The main things are alignment (so you could run safely and keep the car out of the wall...), get the sending units installed for the gauges so you know whats going on (another safety issue, the engine's safety that is), and some fine tuning with a wideband would probably help too. Basically, a tune up and race prep (plugs & wires, clean up the IC piping to prevent boost leaks, fuel tune, etc...). You could easily have this car tuned and ready to rumble by next spring when race season starts, probable even have time to do a few more upgrades... meth injection, maybe MS. You can find all the help you need on here and on neons.org. I started with neons two years ago and knew nothing. Now I'm confident I could do just about anything. They aren't hard to work on, relatively simple setup.

Take this advice: Start with a good setup, and start with a plan. Other's on here will say the same. What I mean is this... don't spend a bunch of money converting a SOHC ATX into a DOHC MTX or whatever. If its not what you want to start with, get rid of it, and buy what you want. Chances are you'd get more money for an ATX than a MTX anyway, because no one knows how to drive stick anymore. Once you have a good base, make a plan, don't just throw parts. I bought my black car ('97, pics on pics thread in neon interior/exterior talk section) for $2200, and have about $1800 in it with bolt ons, rims, tires, stereo, etc... Figure $4k. It's probably a low to mid 15sec car. Its a peppy daily driver, handles well, rides nice, etc... but by no means a race car. Looking back, what I *should* have done is bought a wet nitrous kit and been done with it. More power when I want to take it to the track, still fun to drive on the street, less money spent. I'm happy with the car, but better routes could've been taken. What I'm getting at is, decide what you want, and find the best/cheapest way to get it. Don't just start dumping money into a car until it becomes what you want, because it will chew a huge hole in your pocket. If you want a run of the mill daily driver, stick with what you have, leave it alone. If you want something that's going to put a smile on your face every time you drive it, buy a 1st Gen no options MTX DOHC (lighweight), give it some sticky tires, booger bushings, MM inserts, a few bolt ons (CAI, PCM, TB, header) and be done with it. If you want a more refined car, buy a 2nd Gen R/T. If you want something that will light from a 2nd gear roll, spin into third, and hold you to your seat like nobody's business, buy my car and give it some time and elbow grease tuning it up nice. Regardless, figure out what you want first.

Bidding on my car ends Tuesday (11/13) @ 12:40am-ish (Monday night), if you're interested. 10 watchers as of now, no bids, no reserve, $3500 opener.

· Registered
1,441 Posts
$900 if uve never heard of a junkyard... u can get full motor and tranny here from a junk yard for like $200... thats the motor, tranny, clutch, flywheel all still together. then itd be prolly another $100 for the shifter linkages, shifter assembly, peddle assembly, clutch cable, bobble strut, also u'll have to weld a spot for the bobble strut, the atx kmember/frame doesnt have the mount on it. so thats $300-$400 ( depending on the junkyard.) yea thats a stock 5 speed... but still. thats $500 less then rice is qouting. but yea it wouldnt have the performance clutch, ecu, or bushings.... but here neons are a dime a dozen and come cheap as ****.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.