DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey new to the forum, I have a 03' Ram 1500 hemi 2wd and I'm looking for a posi rear, the one wheel wonder is the only thing I dont like about my truck. Thanks for anyones help

· Registered
6,049 Posts
Welcome to DT and i'm sure that someone will help you on your problem.

· Registered
2,639 Posts
The two most popular are the Tru-trac and the Auburn. Pretty much the only two aftermarket LSDs made for our trucks.

· Serenity
5,995 Posts
Yes - they will fit fine. Moe's performance is a sponser here and Bob is a great guy to work with:

Auburn:
http://moesperformance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_8&products_id=358

Detroit:
http://moesperformance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_8&products_id=621

The picture is wrong in the Auburn listing, but the price is correct. I have not heard anyone dislike either one. The Auburn does use cone clutches that would eventually wear out, whereas the Detroit does it all with gears. If you could afford it the Detroit is the best. I have the Auburn and it is working great for me. The Auburn has a 1 year warranty as well as a 4 year D-REX program where they will exchange your unit for a new one for up to 4 years for $100.00. You would still have to get it installed, but at least you would not have to buy a whole new unit. Not sure on the Detroit as far a warranties go. Another thing to keep in mind with the Auburn unit is you are supposed to use regular gear oil - NOT synthetic!

http://www.auburngear.com/aftermarket/drex/

· morgan1488
232 Posts
yeah i have a Tru-trac and love it that stock open diff sucks balls you might want to switch gears at the same time cuz it all has to come out ne ways

· sans sanity
1,538 Posts
http://www.differentials.com/

http://www.ringpinion.com/Default.aspx

Two sources i have used in the past and both have been very good. It's preferable to call them rather than try to sort out the sites. They both have very good customer service.

I also ran the truetrac for a couple years and it was flawless. Install it and forget it. No oil additive, run synthetic or traditional, no wear parts to concern yourself with, excellent street manners with good off road ability as well.

Have fun.

· LivetoRide
2,823 Posts
so is the price to install a lsd into an open dif comparable to doing a gear swap at a shop? essentially they have to go through the same steps and pull the gears out? Thanks

· Serenity
5,995 Posts
seth505 said:
so is the price to install a lsd into an open dif comparable to doing a gear swap at a shop? essentially they have to go through the same steps and pull the gears out? Thanks
I do know that they usually will charge the same amount to do a gear swap only vs a gear swap + LSD, since they have to take out everything anyway. I am not sure if the opposite is true since I am not sure if everything has to come out for just an LSD swap (the pinion for example). Just call a couple of shops and ask.

17,103 Posts
One question - I have the open diff and I have zero problems with that. The open diff will keep the rear end underneath of you if the rear tires break loose. Even in the winter time I have never had a problem with my open diff. So you guy are looking for the posi for off road or racing correct? Not just daily driving. Just wondering.

· Registered
186 Posts
Yeah... it is really a performance mod. You dont HAVE TO have it. But if you are trying to launch in a straight line and get as much traction as possible, LSD definatley helps. I have a detroit tru trac and I believe in normal driving, my diff acts like an open diff. But when I get on it, it locks and ~50 of power goes to each rear wheel.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mines a daily, I've got a posi in my elcamino and I loved it, it was fairly easy to handle in the wet (not anymore) but I could light em both up or use them both for grip when i wanted to, the open diff right now is a pain in the wet, it slips all the time and i just cant keep traction, im gunna get a posi a soon as i get the cash

· Registered
780 Posts
they shouldn't charge you any extra to do a diff swap than they would charge to do a ring and pinion. it all has to come out anyway, and all goes back together the same way.

· Registered
48,548 Posts
seth505 said:
I thought I heard the auburn was more street friendly than the DTT, is that true or are they pretty similar?
Ok right out of the charts in performance products. They have a scale of 1-5 5 being the best here is how they rate the 2

Auburn
offroad 3
rockcrawling 1
street to strip 4
towing 4

Detroit tru trac
offroad 3
rock crawling 1
street to strip 5
towing 4

As you can see the DTT is even with auburn except on the street to strip where it has a 5 out of 5 rating

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.