DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey men! I have a 03 QC SB with the HEMI. its leveled with a 3'' body lift, running 35x12.5x17 all terrains. i get like 10.5 on city and 13 (15 if I'm REALLY lucky) on hwy. i know its a big ol truck with big tires, big engine, but this sound pretty low to me haha is there anything i can do to improve my millage?

·
Thread Derailer
1,854 Posts
I get 1mpg better respectively, so you aren't that off
Keep your foot out of it, ride the hills, and keep up with maintenance.

I get better city mpg out of OD

·
Takin' Care of Old Red
881 Posts
That sounds about right. I was getting between 9 and 15mpgs respectively in my 05 Hemi 1500

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
gears... 4.56's

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmm thats not really what i was wanting to hear guys hahaha chefred112~ which gear? I'm in the landscaping business so i do a lot of towing in the summer months (like 6 days a week) and in the winter just normal driving--

·
Premium Member
22,963 Posts
4.56 R&P rear end gears is what he is talking about.

Also, make sure your plugs are changed about every 30K miles and use stock Champion plugs. Stay away from PLATINUM'S.

·
MADBRAD
1,155 Posts
gears... 4.56's
Exactly! Those 35" tires are throwing off your gear ratio making your engine work too hard and use more fuel. Time for a gear swap and power and gas mileage will return.

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
hmm thats not really what i was wanting to hear guys hahaha chefred112~ which gear? I'm in the landscaping business so i do a lot of towing in the summer months (like 6 days a week) and in the winter just normal driving--
you just answered why you need the 4.56's as much as you tow..less load through gearing means less stress on the drive train altogether...

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
GEARS!

:rck:

·
Ramistered User
6,420 Posts
Gears!!!

·
That guy
3,097 Posts
4.56 R&P rear end gears is what he is talking about.

Also, make sure your plugs are changed about every 30K miles and use stock Champion plugs. Stay away from PLATINUM'S.
GEARS!

:rck:
I am not sure if your truck is a 4WD but if it is be sure to quote changing R&P on both front and rear differentials.

That being said, your concern is over fuel mileage and not performance so I can hardly justify suggesting you change your gears out. The mileage gain will take a very long time to pay for itself. Something to consider anyway before you dive into a $2000 gear change.

For what it is worth, my 03 was set up just like your but with KM2's and I got 10/13 on average. When I towed miscellaneous farm equipment around I got much, much worse...

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
My 03 got between 9 -10 city and if i was lucky 13 on the highway, it i was pulling no matter what the weight (think reasonable) it was 8-9.

·
Got 2 Hemis
5,042 Posts
Actually, that mileage sounds a bit high, considering the lift, tires and driving conditions. My mileage average is 13.2. Practically NO city driving. Some fringe, mostly 80 mph interstate.

Be aware, too, that the cost of the gear swap will take a long time to recoup.

·
Kind of an 03
2,190 Posts
I do about 90 percent city driving an average about 12-13 in city taking it easy, 17-18hwy an that's on a 265/70/17, 2wd an stock height.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'm getting 15.5 with my 4x4 and 34" tall tires. Most of my driving is country but still never seen something that low and I'm on the pedal it all the time.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
Averaged 10 in my old '03.

·
Registered
299 Posts
This will sound crazy but I switched from 89 to 87 to save some coin and now average 1+ MPG more!

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
Anyone who buys one of these trucks and then is shocked that a TRUCK gets poor fuel mileage should have stayed in their little Honda Civic. The vehicle is a big pig and has the aerodynamics of cargo parachute. A Dodge HD Mega Cab 4x4 weights a little more than three and half tons empty. That's the weight of about 27 Smart Cars. But you can put six in the Mega Cab and tow the 27 Smart Cars all day long.

Gears will help the fuel numbers some but what your after here the mechanical advantage you get from the gears. You will not be able to tow more weight with the gears but you'll be able tow everything easier. And easier means less stress and wear on the drive-line with less heat in the tranny. All of that adds up better tow vehicle.

:)

·
Jeremy
1,992 Posts
i would look into getting a tuner if gears are out of the question.

·
AROD'S TRUCK
4,410 Posts
Gears or buy a Diesel!

21HWY and 17City for me with either my 33s or my old 35s.

Hand Calc.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.