DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 1991 Geo Metro, so I can park the truck during the week and save on gas and a many other things. Like mileage, I have 19600 miles on my truck and on Memorial Day it will be a year old. Insurance on my truck cost me $749 every six months, adding the car and parking the truck my truck will go down to $294 and the car will be $271. Tires a set of 4 tires for the Geo cost $80. And finally gas, I spend $110 every 2 weeks on gas for my truck. The car will cost $37 every 2 weeks. That comes up to a savings of $320 a month. Oh yeah the guy I bought it from will fix anything that goes wrong with it for free. I know that it does not look cool or go fast, but that extra money will help make my fast and cool truck even better. Also I must add that it is fun to drive. I have never owned a 5 speed until now. :D Sorry so long. Trey

·
Registered
276 Posts
When I finelly need a commuter car I will go this route as well. For now I have a company truck, a Silverado 2500HD, not too bad.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I say good thinking...Here's my commuter and winter beater: 1994 Corolla 222,500 miles. 34mpg and it looks better than a Geo :D J/K it just leaves you more money for mods!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I drive a Mercury Sable Mon - Fri (27 mpg). 110 miles to and from work daily would rack up the miles on the Ram too quickly. As it is, I still manage 2,000 miles a month driving the Ram on the weekends.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I am looking for a winter beater now so I can get my truck off the road next winter. I am looking for a early (gen 1) Dodge Ram regular cab short box 4x4 though, gas will probably be worse then my hemi DOH! I might have to give in and get a beater car ... I just hate driving cars now, I like the truck feel.

I also want to 4x4 to play in the mud! :D

Andrew

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
That's a good plan, if you can stand driving a shiatbox. :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
BLACKWOLF said:
That's a good plan, if you can stand driving a shiatbox. :)
I don't see anything wrong with my toyota! We can't all be as lucky as you!!! :booty:

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
krusty_9 said:
I don't see anything wrong with my toyota! We can't all be as lucky as you!!! :booty:
I had a Toymota. My wife decided she liked it shiney side down. :mad:

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
Ouch, is that what she calls modding?!? Glad my gf doesn't like driving my truck!

·
Registered
183 Posts
doesn't that defeat the purpose of owning the truck in the first place? if you're not driving it, what's the point of owning it?

·
Registered
352 Posts
I got a 87 Accord for my Commuter but funny thing is. I haven't Driven much it since i got my truck lol

to be honest i can't drive a car anymore, it just doesn't feel right and i find myself driving it like a truck( i'm bigger than you so get out of my way)

·
Registered
183 Posts
cal_gecko said:
doesn't that defeat the purpose of owning the truck in the first place? if you're not driving it, what's the point of owning it?
Hmmm where to start??? Drive to work and back 2 or 3 times a week is 80 miles each and drive to school and back 5 times a week is 60 miles each time. Also in Wisconsin we experience winter and my truck is two-wheel drive. Just a bunch of logical thinking going on there. I got the truck last May with 48000 miles on it and it now has 61000 on it, even with storing it for 5 months. The Corolla I got with 203,000 miles on it last July and it now has 223,000 on it. If I hadnt got the corolla my dakota would have 81000 miles on it approximately, and I'm glad it doesn't. Also add in the cost of gas :crazy:

·
Registered
183 Posts
krusty_9 said:
Hmmm where to start??? Drive to work and back 2 or 3 times a week is 80 miles each and drive to school and back 5 times a week is 60 miles each time. Also in Wisconsin we experience winter and my truck is two-wheel drive. Just a bunch of logical thinking going on there. I got the truck last May with 48000 miles on it and it now has 61000 on it, even with storing it for 5 months. The Corolla I got with 203,000 miles on it last July and it now has 223,000 on it. If I hadnt got the corolla my dakota would have 81000 miles on it approximately, and I'm glad it doesn't. Also add in the cost of gas :crazy:
so when do you drive your truck?

I have a 25 minute commute each way to and from work, and that's really the main time I get to enjoy driving it.. if I had a commuter car for that drive, I really wouldn't need my truck for much

·
Jeep Driver
32,497 Posts
cal_gecko said:
I plan to add a second vehicle... a car, preferably a new Dodge Magnum... to my stable next year sometime. The objective is to have a truck that is paid for, that I can use when I need it and also for recreational activities, and have another car to drive around day-to-day. I'll probably lease the second vehicle, and get a new one every three years or so (having two vehicles will also prevent me from ever going over the mileage limit on a lease car). But the truck, I'll keep as long as it runs. That's my plan. It may not be the same or for the same purpose as the other guys' who were posting in here, but hopefully you can see that there are many reasons to have something and not drive it constantly.

·
Registered
183 Posts
cal_gecko said:
so when do you drive your truck?

I have a 25 minute commute each way to and from work, and that's really the main time I get to enjoy driving it.. if I had a commuter car for that drive, I really wouldn't need my truck for much
Well I drive it to school every now and then and there are also weekends when hanging out with friends or the girlfriend...driving to wherever she may want to go! :p

·
Registered
616 Posts
wow you guys drive pretty far to work. I bought my truck on december 15th and it had 2 miles on it, I just hit 3,000 miles two days ago.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The place I work at uses geo's as chase cars. We put a few hundred miles on them each day, and drive them hard.
They require little repair despite the way we treat them. They get great gas mileage.

I would recommend this type of car as a backup car, unless you are driving on a road with alot of lare vehicles. As their smaller sizes makes them very crushable.

I drive my truck an average of 120 miles a week, so I don't feel a need for a second car.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
FreeLantz said:
I'll probably lease the second vehicle, and get a new one every three years or so (having two vehicles will also prevent me from ever going over the mileage limit on a lease car).

Good plan up until the leasing part. That 4-runner above was my first and last lease. Pay a payment for X years with nothing to show at the end. No thanks. Leasing is for comercial use and people that own their own companies. Other than that your gonna take a loss. It seems great when you first get the rig. But when the lease comes due and you have to pay them to take it back regardless of the miles or you want something else but have to start from scratch with no trade in, once again no thanks.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
;D Now I just need to get a coffee can for exhuast, and make a wing for it. ;D I'll drive my truck every weekend I'm fixing to get flowmasters put on it, and I just got the bed line-xed. Plus my girlfriend will not ride in the geo.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
trey_dogg3 said:
my girlfriend will not ride in the geo.

Maybe this should be telling you something. :IDEA:

And with the wing and fart can "Dat ride gun b phat yo!"

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.