DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the weekend I got a 1984 Dodge Ram 150 Royal SE Prospector. It runs great and has very little wear. I bought it from an older couple and they bought it from a guy who kept it in a barn. 76,000 miles show but idk if thats actual I intend on this being my daily driver. I know nothing about this truck. If there are things I need to keep an eye on or little tricks to know let me know.
Thank you :smile

·
Registered
4,137 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
A Haynes manual is the easiest and fastest way to learn about your truck - Advance & Autozone still sell them, so that's easy enough to find.

Reading up on Gen.1 Dodge boards is also fun, but you can look for a L-O-N-G time sometimes, before you find a USEFUL article to your particular application.

Because they don't make them anymore - and WON'T be ever again - if you can find an actual Dodge/Chrysler Shop/Diagnostic manual(s), get those TOO while you're at it. No one EVER regretted having one of those. :IDEA:

AND welcome aboard! :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
WHATS THE BIGGEST TIRE SIZE I COULD GET AWAY WITH WITH NO LIFT AND STOCK WHEELS?
WHAT KIND OF OIL SHOULD I USE FOR AN OIL CHANGE AND HOW MUCH?
ALSO IT ONLY GETS LIKE 9 MILES TO THE GALLON IS THERE ANYTHING THAT CAN DO TO HELP WITH THAT?

THANK :wink

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
WHATS THE BIGGEST TIRE SIZE I COULD GET AWAY WITH WITH NO LIFT AND STOCK WHEELS?
WHAT KIND OF OIL SHOULD I USE FOR AN OIL CHANGE AND HOW MUCH?
ALSO IT ONLY GETS LIKE 9 MILES TO THE GALLON IS THERE ANYTHING THAT CAN DO TO HELP WITH THAT?
Nice find! ... As war_wagon said, get manual/s or especially a FSM if you can, no one has ever regretted it.

... DK what fits; but before laying out cash for rubber, ask yourself if it has the power and gears to turn tall/heavy tires; if not, a nice Daily Driver can turn into an underpowered slug!

... "Likely" calls for 10/30 conventional, but forget about that because the 84 flat cam/lifters require zinc/ZDDP etc, which has been removed from modern oils to help catylitic converters survive. ... ZDDP oils are available, likely a pita to find etc ... Rams in 88 got roller cams to avoid the lack of zinc problem, but rocker tips/pushrods etc will still suffer some.

... Myself have used Ams Oil for 20 years: in the warm/hot Ark south, would use this long life full synthetic Ams 10/40 suitable for flat cams: has a 25,000 mile drain interval, so most servicing is "no oil drain", just change filter, top up with AMS, and grease etc etc.
... Normally this Ams product has its first drain at 25K, unless it's been contaminated by mixing/adding other oils etc, anti-freeze etc. (DK if Mobil 1 has similar product for flat cam/lifters, and IIRC Mobil 1 requires regular changes)

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/gasoline/premium-protection-10w-40-synthetic-motor-oil/?code=AMOQT-EA

... Do not accept pos little filters they try to sell you nowadays; get the full/normal size 5"? long; Napa Gold 1515 which is Wix 51515; or IIRC Motorcraft FL-1A? or a Purolator (which IIRC have the longer life silicone anti drainback valves), many avoid Fram.
... DK if it will fit yours, but there's also the 7" Napa Gold 1773 (it's too long to install in 2G trucks).

DK about yours; many V8 hold 5, or 6 qts, butttttt; put in 4 and go from there

... 9 mpg; first check egr, pcv, exhaust "heat control valve" (heat riser valve), and the basic tune up; go from there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I appreciate all the help i changed my oil with castrol 10/30 and added lucas oil additive. I also replaced the airfliter.
I have noticed that my two front tires are 235/75/15 and my rear left is 205/75/15 while my rear right is 225/70/1 what do you advise i do? they are all in good shape.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I appreciate all the help i changed my oil with castrol 10/30 and added lucas oil additive. I also replaced the airfliter.
I have noticed that my two front tires are 235/75/15 and my rear left is 205/75/15 while my rear right is 225/70/1 what do you advise i do? they are all in good shape.
Different height tires on rear cause extra wear on open diff; and dynamite if it has posi!! ... What's the spare? ... What's the condition of other tires? ... What's the motor?

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
have noticed that my two front tires are 235/75/15 and my rear left is 205/75/15 while my rear right is 225/70/1 what do you advise i do? they are all in good shape.
A reasonable choice would be moving your fronts to the rear; then install 2 new 235/75/15 on the front, and see if they wear straight (indicating if front end needs align etc).
... For now, that would avoid buying 4 tall/heavy tires the 318 might struggle turning (the slug thing).

DK 87; but is gear ratio on underhood/etc sticker (may help to select tire size/height).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.