DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
sivartlee
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, i just bought my first deisel truck. it is an 06 dodge ram 3500 megacab. awesome truck, way way better then my 97 dodge ram 1500 that ive been in for 7 years.
can you guys give me some tips on things i need to know, need to do , and what not . i am pretty good do it yourselfer, but what i lack here is any deisel knowledge. also some popular proformance tricks or upgrades would be great .
PLEASE BEGIN FILLING MY BRAIN. THANK YOU

·
Senór Member
17,169 Posts
oh you should get bullhauler stacks immediatly:D

and some big ol tires and a giant front bumper ;D

but i digress.........

i don't know too much about third gen diesel problems seein as i gotta second gen, but you came to the right place to get some help

·
Registered
440 Posts
Tips on things you need to do....lets see now.....
dump yer wallet out onto the table, trade the money for parts. Feel that empty wallet ? Get used to that feeling.
This crowd will help you maintain it.

·
Registered
916 Posts
One big thing especially with the third gen's is CLEAN FUEL and a GOOD Fleetgaurd "Stratapore" fuel filter or equivalent. Some filters such as Wix don't have a good enough micron rating...steer clear! Also I like to carry a spare filter with me....
These trucks like to be worked and will take a pretty good pounding with alittle preventative maintenance.

·
sivartlee
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
read the thing about deisel additive. i ordered the opti-lube xpd to use when filling up. my first two tanks without the additive the onboard mpg read an average of 19 mpg. so far with the fresh tank and the opti-lube it is reading an average of 15mpg. not sure if this is a fluke or what. i guess we'll see if it goes up at all but it was disturbing to see highway at 65mph an all of a sudden the truck is getting 15 mpg. im only 1/4 way through that tank, hopefully it starts going up.

·
Senór Member
17,169 Posts
oh and why not just use wally-world 2 stroke oil every fill up

that's what imma start doin

·
Registered
76 Posts
Use a baldwin PF7977 fuel filter, it's 5 micron rating compared to fleetguard and Mopar at 7 micron and 10 micron. Be careful with some other fuel filters as they are not water stripping capable which is priority 1 with the CR trucks.

Baldwin, Fleetguard, Mopar oil filters are good. I prefer the Fleetguard Stratapore as it filters better.

I buy Baldwin filters local ( farm stores or construction suppliers ) and Fleetguard from the Cummins shop 70 miles away or you can go here, www.genosgarage.com just click on link.

Read you owners manual for oil change intervals. I change the fuel filter at every oil change. Might be over kill on the fuel filter but I figure it's cheap insurance as the injection pump and injectors are very expensive.

Look on your radiator cowl, there's a sticker there to grease your front drive shaft if you have a 4 wheel drive truck.

What transmission do you have, manual or auto?

What type of driving do plan on useing your truck for, that will help readers help you in what upgrades for power you want/need.

at the top of page there is control panel, you can fill in what information you want everyone to see, like whats at the bottom of my post.

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
The weak part of the CTD is the tranny if you have the auto. Keep power adders under 75HP or plan on spending 5K on a tranny.

·
Registered
208 Posts
remove silencer ring out of turbo and replace torque tube or gut it. then can here turbo sing.

·
Milo
1,426 Posts
Congrats can't wait for them to come in a 1500's.

·
Master Sergeant US Army
125 Posts
Well hey guys I just also bought my first diesel, 08 4X4 3500 HD BlueTec CTD. I traded my 04 1500 4X4 in on her. Couldn't pass the deal up, drove out the door at 21,800. Here's a couple pics of her, not even 24 hours old yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
Very Nice!

·
Master Sergeant US Army
125 Posts
Thanks Ram3500, I am stoked to finally have the 3500 Diesel. She's a beast.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Thats one beautiful truck! Good luck with her!

·
locogk
5,864 Posts
very nice i am thinking about a diesel for my next truck but that is along ways away

loco

·
Registered
154 Posts
you will love it man....when you plan to bomb it check out thedieselgarage, and ************ as well!

in the future think about dumping that DPF! fuel mileage and power will go up.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Well hey guys I just also bought my first diesel, 08 4X4 3500 HD BlueTec CTD. I traded my 04 1500 4X4 in on her. Couldn't pass the deal up, drove out the door at 21,800. Here's a couple pics of her, not even 24 hours old yet.
RSmith63,
That all you paid man that is a awesome looking truck make me wish I had one. I wish I can trade mine in for that but that will be more truck that I really need or maybe I can just get it anyway.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
hi guys, i just bought my first deisel truck. it is an 06 dodge ram 3500 megacab. awesome truck, way way better then my 97 dodge ram 1500 that ive been in for 7 years.
can you guys give me some tips on things i need to know, need to do , and what not . i am pretty good do it yourselfer, but what i lack here is any deisel knowledge. also some popular proformance tricks or upgrades would be great .
PLEASE BEGIN FILLING MY BRAIN. THANK YOU
Congrat on your new truck,we like pics here.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.