DodgeTalk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to go down to 17's from the 20's, and have chosen these 2 rims. The first is a 17x10, -12mm offset, and 5.03 in backspace. The Helo ( 2nd) is a 17x8.5 0 offset, and 4.5 in backspace. I am looking to either go with a 33 or a 35 " tire ( haven't decided yet) Wich rim will stick out the most, orgive me a headache with my '07 1500. I never grasped the concept of the offset, but know that I should stay around 4.5 in backspace for my rig. Thanks in advance for helping the rim dunce! LOL!

Attachments

· Serenity
5,995 Posts
NUTTSQUAD03 said:
I am looking to go down to 17's from the 20's, and have chosen these 2 rims. The first is a 17x10, -12mm offset, and 5.03 in backspace. The Helo ( 2nd) is a 17x8.5 0 offset, and 4.5 in backspace. I am looking to either go with a 33 or a 35 " tire ( haven't decided yet) Wich rim will stick out the most, orgive me a headache with my '07 1500. I never grasped the concept of the offset, but know that I should stay around 4.5 in backspace for my rig. Thanks in advance for helping the rim dunce! LOL!
The backspace and overall width of the rim is important when trying to figure out if the wheels will rub or to figure out how far they will stick out. In your case the 17x10 wheel is actually about 11" wide, so 6" of the wheel will be on the outside and 5" on the inside. The second wheel is about 9" wide, so 4.5" will be on the outside and 4.5" on the inside. This is just the wheel itself - the tire will buldge out past the wheel even further. You did not say what width of tire you were looking at, but in general, you would have less problems with the 17x8.5.

The offset is how far from the exact centerline of the wheel that face that mounts to the hub is. If the wheel has positive offset, the face is closer to the outside of the wheel, so the wheel mounts closer to the truck and vise versa for negative offset. From what I have read, it is best to keep the offset similar to the OEM wheels because you could get excessive tire wear, bearing wear, etc if the new wheels have a significantly different offset. I have not heard, however, how far off the offset can be before it starts causing problems with our trucks.

· You've been Hijacked
15,407 Posts
I agree you will have less problems with the 17x8.5 with the 4.5" backspacing. Especially since you are going with bigger tires.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.