1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Thread Derailer
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gonna change my license plate to that
dadgommet i hate it!!
my truck came from michigan or wisonsin or something like that
spent 50k miles there, then made the trip to the promised land where it resides in AL with yours truly

just thought i'd vent for a sec, no questions, just angry words

well, my brakes are on the way out the door, rust+mud+age=decay
my back brakes were in shambles so i decided it's a good time to change em out, at least before i rear end a dump truck or something

so i pull the tires off, got my shiny new rotors and not shiny but new pads out, got my tools out, and started taking the rotors off
they won't budge
ok, ok
i expected that, so i got the rubber mallet, whacked away a few times at all the spots i anticipated the hold up
NOTHIN
so i got a little more liberal with the hammer, so liberal chunks of rubber where flying off of it
nothin...
then i got my steel hammer, went to town
nothing!!
then i yelled at it, and made innapropriate gestures towards it, called its mom nothing but a dumb drum that everyone's kept their shoes in
NOTHING!!
so i got creative, didn't have a sledge (mind you, i'm no weakling, my only natural progression was a big boy tool),but it did have a ~50lb iron tampening rod that's 6 ft tall
PERFECT!
i positioned myself, and commenced to javelin the rotors with the flat end of the rod
EUREKA!!!!
they finally broke loose!!

i'm not kidding when i say i was WAILIN with this thing!
i can't image what i would been charged to have these things done

also found one of my calipers was sticking, gonna need to replace that before it starts that tomfoolery again

but effin at cotton, that took some serious gruntin, i pride myself in being a strong dude, but DURN!!! that rust just about whupped me!!

but hey, she stops like a champ now
the front's are in decent shape, prolly gonna do those mid summer, and do new brake lines while i'm at it

·
Registered
330 Posts
glad you got them off. they can be a pita sometimes:) i've got to do mine soon. i might take them to the shop.:ugh i really don't want to spend the money.

·
greggram783
29 Posts
i feel your pain i just replaced my rear rotors and pads last weekend, right side rotor can off with just a tap of a hammer, but the left side i need a big f!!King hammer and a 2x4 & 30mins to get it off!

·
Tricked out Ram
12,635 Posts
Im glad mine dont stick like that.........Sheesh!!

·
Thread Derailer
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im glad mine dont stick like that.........Sheesh!!
be very glad!
only good side was i didn't need to go to the gym when i finished!

i'm dreading the fronts, really hoping soaking em every nght for a week in PB BLaster will help...

·
Tricked out Ram
12,635 Posts
At the same time, if you have taken you truck apart as many times as i have mine, you likely wouldnt have any issues.....LOL

·
Thread Derailer
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At the same time, if you have taken you truck apart as many times as i have mine, you likely wouldnt have any issues.....LOL
touche!
yea i can tell by looking at mine, it had minimal wrenching time with the previous owner, aside from general maintenance, but now i'm getting into OE replacements and my new best friends are PB BLaster and the breaker bar!

·
Registered
11,180 Posts
Let the fun begin! :D

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
The good thing about working from underneath a vehicle is that it is difficult to throw tools very far.

·
Thread Derailer
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
haha agreed
the bad thing is the fear that a jackstand will buckle and the vehicle will be your imenent death
needless to say, a tamping rod does not yield stable results, i about shat myself a couple of times whacking away at those dadgome rotors!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.