DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what kind of eletrical problems would cause a transmission not to shift from second to third???? 3.0 caravan.
:help:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I presume you have a 3 speed

I might well be wrong but I believe the 3 speed torque-flite based transmissions were not electronically controlled

·
Registered
9 Posts
shifting problems

Hello, can you give us more details of your problem? What year?, is check engine light on?, does your speedometer work? All these will help with diagnosis. It sounds like your van might be in limp mode, one cause could be the output speed sensor, this is an easy and cheap fix, about $25.00. There are a number of reasons it is not shifting out of second. Give us more details and maybe we can narrow it down. I just went through this problem with my 2000 Caravan, had to replace shift solenoid pack. That was about $100.00. Do a search in this forum on "LIMP MODE" and you should get quite a few threads on this problem. I also put a thread up about the procedure for changing the solenoid pack and where I got the best deal on one etc. I hope this helps. this is a great site for information, it really helped me a lot, I hope I can return the favor. Good Luck, Randy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All right here it is.I have a 94 3.0 caravan I'm unsure how it works with these vans being it my first one, but on my shifter it reads low, third, and overdrive ,with a push button on the dash to turn on the overdrive.So it shifts through the first two gears no problem, but it won't drop into that third gear.Reverse works good. replaced filter and fluid no change.So I'm kinda leaning towards the eletrical.Although I'm not sure, so any input would greatly welcomed.

·
Love my 66 monaco 500
1,239 Posts
When an electronic controled trans detects a problem it goes into "limp home mode" it shifts to 2nd and stays there.
A tans shop should be able to check the power train computer and tell what went wrong.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All right next question.Can I swap trannys from a voyager same year same engine size into the caravan?? will I have problems with this overdrive button deal being the voyager tranny is a regular three speed?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
this limp mode you speek of ,would you be able to still start and travel in second after shutting off the van,and are you able to use reverse?and how do you get it out of limp mode other than taking it to a shop??

·
Love my 66 monaco 500
1,239 Posts
Our '95 Caravan popped a snap ring and it went into limp home mode. Every time I started the van it acted normally until it went into 3rd and detected that the fill volume for that clutch was too high, then it went into limp mode. It shifted back into 2nd and stayed there. It would go into reverse. That of course required the trans to be dropped and fixed.
It could be just a bad sensor that can be repaired easily.
Scott

·
Registered
303 Posts
He doesn't have limp mode, he says he still has first.

Limp mode means 2nd gear, reverse, park, neutral only. No 1st, 3rd or 4th.

If he has more than 2nd, he is not in limp mode. Thus it can't be electrical.

As to the Plymouth trans in a caravan- if its the same year *and* same engine, it will work fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.