DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay i ordered my gears for for my 1995 1500 5.2L for the front and back i got 4.88 gears, and i need to know if ill fit the gears, or if ill need new carriers? anyone can help me out?

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
you will need a new carrier for the front the rear will fit fine only thing on the rear you might have to grind the top of a couple teeth to get the spider gear shaft in i had to do that with my 456 gears

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i dont really want to mess with that, what should i do if i dont wanna grind the teeth? do i need to get neew spider gear shaft?

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
the gears stick up higher than the hole the only choice is to grind the tip of the gears its only two teeth that get ground and its just the very tip for clearance so no impact to gear integrity

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
allright, i put everything in and im trying to grind them, what did you use to grind those 2 teeth?

·
Registered
984 Posts
You can use a right angle die grinder with a 3" cutoff wheel. (gotta be careful with this one though!!!!)

Or even a dremel with a small round stone.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea i did it i used the grinder... it worked really well, it was a nerve wrecking process, i tried to careful, but everything came out pretty good...

·
Registered
493 Posts
i remember randy had an article for grinding the teeth to get the shaft in ... in case anyone comes thru this thread looking for advice

http://www.ringpinion.com/TipOfTheDay.aspx?TipID=7
was this about what you did?

as the pinion gears should only be touching the ring gear in the inside middle... the part you grind down is irrelevant because it should never come in contact with anything. I'd have put the grinder in a vice to avoid it jumping and accidentally grinding something important (like the inside edges of the gears)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.