DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Whiskey Bent & Hell Bound
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I finished my swap today. It took about 3 hours from start to finish. I definitely recommend this to those who havent done it. The engine runs much quieter, launches harder off the line, and has better throttle response. When the fan comes on, its much quieter than the pulley fan. My rpms during highway sppeds dropped as well. Im at 2000 rpms @ 73 mph.

I want to thank shawns1stram for introducing me to the FK60 controller. This controller is awesome! The FK60 controller from DCC http://www.dccontrol.com/fancontrol.htm comes with all the wire, crimps and quick connects, along with an easy "how-to". Other than that, all I had to buy was the viper electric fan (P5007266) from makeitmopar http://www.trademotion.com/partloca...M&siteid=214096. I got EVERYTHING I need for the install, from these two websites for $310.56.

Heres the results according to the Flashpaq Data Acquisition:

Before:

0-60mph in 6.4 seconds
0-60' in 2.34 seconds
1/8 mile in 9.57 @ 76mph
1/4 mile in 14.98 @ 89mph

After:

0-60mph in 6.11 seconds
0-60' in in 2.29 seconds
1/8 mile in 9.48 @ 77
1/4 mile in 14.87 @ 91mph

Both runs were done from a stand still, in drive, without tow/haul mode, at wide open throttle.

At WOT from a stand still before the fan, I got a small tire chirp. With the Viper fan, now I get a pretty descent peel out. Im sure this affected my times shown above.

Heres a few pics after the swap:

Attachments

·
Banned
3,852 Posts
Looks great man. And thanks for posting the links where you got your stuff. Its fun to read and see how everyone is doing it and where there picking everything up. This mod is on my list......LOL getting on this site all the time.....THE LIST GETS LONG QUICKLY LOL LOL

·
HemiSS/T
609 Posts
Thanks for the write up. This is gonna be on my list of things to do at christmas. Oh yea on a side note I noticed your avatar, me and mr. JIM BEAM had a good time last night.

·
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wasinger12 said:
Looks great man. And thanks for posting the links where you got your stuff. Its fun to read and see how everyone is doing it and where there picking everything up. This mod is on my list......LOL getting on this site all the time.....THE LIST GETS LONG QUICKLY LOL LOL
Youre telling me. Ive learned sooo much here. There are mods Ive done that I wouldnt have known about if it wasnt for this site. Gears, a 2/4 drop, and rims are next on my list.

·
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BlackBaggedSS/T said:
Thanks for the write up. This is gonna be on my list of things to do at christmas. Oh yea on a side note I noticed your avatar, me and mr. JIM BEAM had a good time last night.
"He" never lets me down!

·
'75 Power Wagon
4,530 Posts
Good deal... I'm glad you like it. As far as the controller install being clean... It's no cleaner than my controller install... But you didnt have to buy the extra wires and little stuff like i did. Of course, I'm one to save every cent i can.... But before i turn this into an arguement. Good job on the install... I'm curious if you guys could run this controller on the low speed and how efficient it would cool the engine.

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
...nice pics...did you mount the fan inside the stock shroud? no modifying?...thats cool!!!

·
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
chefred112 said:
...nice pics...did you mount the fan inside the stock shroud? no modifying?...thats cool!!!
I had to trim one side of the fan about an inch to get it to fit into the shroud. I used L-brackets and bolts to hold it in place instead of zip-ties.

·
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
canajien said:
nice work!!! how hard was it getting the old fan off?

Not too bad. I removed the resevoir bottles and shroud to allow for more room. I stuck a screwdriver through one of the holes on the fan pulley to keep it from moving while I used a pipe wrench to losen the fan. Popped lose pretty easy. Some might argue that the screwdriver trick may not be the best way, and I agree, but it did the job with no damage to the pulley, engine, or screwdriver.

·
Hemi2nV
7,813 Posts
Looks awesome im going to do this mod come winter...

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
...we did the screwdriver method when we took my fan off for the cam install...the fan loosened with one grunt and was off in a few seconds...

·
'75 Power Wagon
4,530 Posts
75 Power Wagon said:
I'm curious if you guys could run this controller on the low speed and how efficient it would cool the engine.
Care to try it?

·
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did a good road test tonight with the new fan in. On the freeway, it did great. In town stop and go traffic was a little different story. The temp gauge in the truck had some fluctuation to it. I either need to relocate the temp probe in the radiator, or add some jumpers to my controller. Im going to try moving the temp probe in a few different spots first. Its currently located almost dead center of the radiator. Im going to try moving it up by the top where the water comes in to the radiator, and then Ill try down where the coolant leaves the radiator to go into the engine. Ill post what works best. AKA keeps the fluctuation to a minimum.

·
Ramman
1,599 Posts
I too had problems tweaking the temp to fan on.

I custom built my electric circuit, triple redundant, dual automatic (dual speed activation), W/ in cab Manual over ride. 2 major components can fail and the system will still work in some capacity.

Also agree, best mod I’ve done, I can feel the power. With my fan, exhaust, and super chips, I can lead another RAM with a 6.1 CAM, Headers, and intake, not bad, as I’m a 4X4.

Any way,,

My system uses 2 thermal probes. I have found through weeks of testing that the Hi side works best when mounted near the top Radiator hose. I have mounted my Low side probe to my Trans cooler.

After weeks of testing I have found that, even when the engine is cold, if the truck is driven, the trans cooler gets hot. That worried me, as most installs the fan would not kick on for a few min’s, in other words, as the engine (radiator) heated up, the trans cooler was already at temp. many others here using the electric fan solution should check and adjust for the trans cooler.
To counter this I used a low temp probe mounted on the trans cooler. (also I’ll be adding a trans cooler from a 1Ton RAM, uses same mounts and hook ups, has a thermostat too)

So as the trans heats up, the main fan kicks on LOW. It usually runs on low speed when ever I’m city driving. But once I’m freeway driving or at speed, the fan turns off.

I set the Hi Speed to kick on at just below 200. Hi Speed usually on kicks on when its over 100 out, when I’m really off-roading, after a hard launch or a fast run (1/4 ex), and also the Hi comes on for about 30 sec’s after turning off engine.

I’m building a “Water Crossing” sensor that will safely turn off electric fan. Also I’ll be adding another smaller Electric fan, that will be an active spare.

·
'75 Power Wagon
4,530 Posts
^Wow.

I'm the type of person to keep it simple. My truck was built on a simple platform, You've got way too much going on with yours DaKing, although it is impressive, just it's overkill. and would probably be a pain to diagnose if somethign does go wrong. But hell, you could start manufacturing it to put in new automobiles of the future! That's what people want! lol

I do like the water crossing sensor... I've been thinking about putting in some type of 3-position switch so i could have OFF-Auto-ON... Would be nice that way i could turn it off completely if i needed. Instead of the Auto-ON switch setup i have now.

·
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Daking said:
My system uses 2 thermal probes. I have found through weeks of testing that the Hi side works best when mounted near the top Radiator hose. I have mounted my Low side probe to my Trans cooler.

After weeks of testing I have found that, even when the engine is cold, if the truck is driven, the trans cooler gets hot. That worried me, as most installs the fan would not kick on for a few min’s, in other words, as the engine (radiator) heated up, the trans cooler was already at temp. many others here using the electric fan solution should check and adjust for the trans cooler.
To counter this I used a low temp probe mounted on the trans cooler. (also I’ll be adding a trans cooler from a 1Ton RAM, uses same mounts and hook ups, has a thermostat too)

So as the trans heats up, the main fan kicks on LOW. It usually runs on low speed when ever I’m city driving. But once I’m freeway driving or at speed, the fan turns off.

I set the Hi Speed to kick on at just below 200. Hi Speed usually on kicks on when its over 100 out, when I’m really off-roading, after a hard launch or a fast run (1/4 ex), and also the Hi comes on for about 30 sec’s after turning off engine.

I’m building a “Water Crossing” sensor that will safely turn off electric fan. Also I’ll be adding another smaller Electric fan, that will be an active spare.

Very good information. Thanks for the input.

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
...very cool...I took your link for dccontrol and have ordered my fk60 controller...can't wait...

·
Hemi2nV
7,813 Posts
thanks for the links...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.