DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
R.I.P Big Blue
5,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just rolled my truck tonight at about 830pm central time. I was doing 60 in a 70, and went to change lanes. Hit some ice, rear end spun out, and I went straight into the grass (now covered in 5 feet of snow) median. I coasted hard for about 50 feet, then the truck went sideways, the tires caught in the snow, and I rolled like a ball.

The truck is now on it's roof till morning, because there are so many rolled vehicles tonight, that there are no wreckers available till late tomorrow morning.

The good news is, about 13 cars stopped to help me before I even took my hands off the wheel. 3 of them were fellow cops on base and helped me more than I would ever expect out of someone. They even got their little kia something stuck in the median so I wouldn't have to walk so far to get in a warm vehicle.I called 911 as the people pulled me out, and I heard "damn, this guy is still talking on the phone" :) They said the first thing I asked when they pulled me out was if the truck was all right :)
I went back tonight and looked at the damage. The front end/suspension/steering/wheel parts seem all in tact, though packed with snow. I won't be able to tell if the frame is bent until it's driven. My main concern is the passenger side that scraped the snow when I rolled, and the windshield that spider webbed right in front of my face. And any fluids that might leak now that its upside down till morning, because I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think dodge engineered them for driving on ceilings.
This is my second crash without a seatbelt, and I have to say I'm glad I wasn't wearing it (though I'm not promoting it by any means, I know I'm just lucky this time). I would have banged my head on the back window I think. This time I was able to hold on to the steering wheel, and didn't let go till I stopped moving. I keep the steering wheel pretty low too, so hit held my legs down like a lap belt. When I checked, my right foot was still over the gas pedal, and the left still over the brake, just like how I drive.

Bad news. It's upside down. 3 windows smashed out. I just got it aligned today, and they washed my windows inside and out as a courtesy. It's upside down. Fluids might be leaking. No wreckers till morning. AND I got a ticket for careless driving, even though they are averaging 15 wrecks an hour, and I was doing under the limit. Go figure. I was also so confused after I stopped moving, that I hit the brake and put in in park, while upside down :( It grinded pretty bad for about 5 seconds, then I shut the truck off, it ran for about a minute upside down. I also lost 3 cheeseburgers.

We tried to take pictures with our phones, but it was too dark, so maybe in the morning. My friend laughed and said "It still looks like a beast even though it's upside down. It's just so f***cking huge"

I even knew the cop that responded, I used to hang out with him last summer, but in a different city. He got a job up here with the grand forks pd. He pulled up and got the funniest look on his face. He said he next expected to see a big blue dodge speeding up and down the highway, not rolled over in the middle of it.

Thats my story, I just had to vent a little sorry if it's a bore.

Does anyone have any suggestions for keeping/totaling it? USAA said if it's fixable it's covered, but it not, they'll write it off. Will they just pay off what I owe on it, or will I get some cash to to get a new car?

If I keep it, what should I double check on the shop to make sure they fixed everything?

·
Devil's Advocate
8,224 Posts
Glad to hear your okay.

Sorry to say but it's common practice to total out older vehicles. You'll be lucky to get blue book value for it. If they do, you can usually buy it from the scrap yard for about $500 and retitle it as a Salvage.

·
Creature Of The Wheel
8,860 Posts
good thing your okay.

·
R.I.P Big Blue
5,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know it's older, but it's still only 8 years on the title. And I do still owe money on it, could that influence anything? And if I salvage it (did that to an old car once that was hit head on) you think they'd give me enough to get it fixed?

And thanks for the ok's, my fiance almost starting crying when the dispatcher she relieved told her. I had to call the Law Enforcement desk to let them know I'd be late, and they told her I'd wrecked before I could. She didn't like that.

·
Devil's Advocate
8,224 Posts
8 years is considered old by them. If you salvage it, they will still give you what they think it's worth. I'm not sure how insurance works with a car that has a salvage title

·
R.I.P Big Blue
5,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In ny it's the same as a normal one. I'm just praying they'll either fix it, or total it and give me enough to start on a new truck. I'd love to get a v10, or go a little newer and get a hemi, but I just don't like the 3rd gen looks. and 09 is a little out of my govt salary.

Maybe I can find a dakota with the 360 in it, and a stick.

·
Devil's Advocate
8,224 Posts
go to kbb.com and see what the suggested retail value of your truck is, that's about as much as you can hope for.

·
Devil's Advocate
8,224 Posts
That's the absolute most you can expect. It will def. be totaled out if repairs exceed that.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
dude glad your ok . the truck is replaceable your life isn't . glad no other vehicle was involved . wow .

as insurance go's if they total it they will offer you kelly blue book . that money will be sent to finance company to pay off loan . if you owe less then kelly bb then you will see the remaining funds . if you owe more then ...... again glad your ok . it could of been worse .

·
R.I.P Big Blue
5,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nah, my insurance has the thing where they pay off the remaining balance. Yeah, it definitely could have been worse. My dad asked the same thing, "Are you ok? Is the truck ok?" We are a huge dodge family.

·
Beware the Underbite!!!
6,704 Posts
dude atleast you are ok...a truck can always be rebuilt

·
R.I.P Big Blue
5,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, it can, but I would happily take a broken bone to see my baby drivable again.

I guess I'm joking about it because I didn't get hurt, and I'm trying to lighten my mood. I'm definitely not taking this for granted. I got lucky twice now with accidents, and I think I used the rest of my luck finding my wife, I can't have a whole lot left. Seat belts from now on.

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
glad to hear your ok as for the truck you may get lucky and the snow helped cushion some of the impact and you only have cosmetic damage i wish you the best

·
Beware the Underbite!!!
6,704 Posts
yeah, seatbelts are a lifesaver...i had a friend roll his 2500 about 3 years ago, and he had 3 others in it with him...nobody got hurt and it folded the cab in 3/4 roll, only he was wearing a seatbelt...everybody else got really lucky.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Wow dude glad your okay.... This sucks... and i got a question

if they total it out...how much for the left rear suicide door window! let me know

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
nvm its a reg cab... i shouldnt be posting this... im sorry

·
R.I.P Big Blue
5,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nah it's cool man, if they total it, and let me keep it, I'm parting it out to everyone on here for shipping and maybe a little extra to help with the purchase of a new truck.

RE: I went back and looked at it after I left the hospital, and nothing is broken underneath. I couldn't see the passenger side in the snow, it was too dark, but it didn't look like it was caved in. The door at least was still fine from what I saw before I crawled out. The windows are done for though. I'm hoping it's just windows and paint, that shouldn't equal 8 grand should it?

·
locogk
5,864 Posts
glad you are ok and maybe a new truck or nice repair job is in your future

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Hoping for the best for ya man! Glad your ok! Then it would have been just me up in the north country!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.