DodgeTalk Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It won't come out. I have clamped a vise grip on the top of it as tight as I can and with leverage can't budge it to come out of the hole. The rubber won't slide out. I am thinking of spaying it down with Blaster penetrating fluid.

How has anyone solved this common problem on this model?

·
Registered
769 Posts
I can't recall ever having a problem with the pcv valves on these engines. It's probably a combination of carbon residue and the rubber having turned rigid/brittle. I would try some cautious hammer therapy with a flat tipped punch tool. Tap on the PCV valve itself around the nipple to help break anything that might have bonded over time. Then keep working the valve with your pliers in a circular motion the same time you're pulling it out. It'll probably take a few tries with equal amounts of swearing, but it should come out regardless.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't recall ever having a problem with the pcv valves on these engines. It's probably a combination of carbon residue and the rubber having turned rigid/brittle. I would try some cautious hammer therapy with a flat tipped punch tool. Tap on the PCV valve itself around the nipple to help break anything that might have bonded over time. Then keep working the valve with your pliers in a circular motion the same time you're pulling it out. It'll probably take a few tries with equal amounts of swearing, but it should come out regardless.
I think the rubber turned rigid/brittle. I used vise grips to grab and pinch the top of the PCV valve. Pulled and wiggled back and forth. Tried to pry up with screwdriver. CRACKed off a plastic piece of the PCV Valve housing. I drilled some of the rubber off of the valve. Tapped the rubber lightly with a screwdriver to dig it out. The dang thing fell into the valve cover. I have since got the valve cover off (with extreme difficulty-two bolts were impossible to get to) and have removed the PCV Valve. I now have discovered there are NO valve covers available in the U.S. They are back ordered for 30-60 days. I am trying to mend my valve cover with High Heat JB Weld.

·
Registered
769 Posts
My experience with JB weld is that the oil will still eventually soften it and you'll have a leak again some day. I'd encourage you to just get another from a salvage yard. Those valve covers are the same from 2001 and up. car-part.com will let you look at your local participating salvage yards' inventory and prices. Some don't post their prices, but most do and you should be able to find a good replacement for $20--$50. Even if you can't find one close by, many of the yards will ship you a part. 3.3 engines, 01+ have the same valve covers as well and you might even be able to find them in Chrysler Pacificas. I know some older Jeeps Wranglers ran 3.8 engines, so they might be viable vehicles to search as well. I haven't seen one in a long time, I know they look about the same for what I remember. It's up to you to compare yours to what you do find.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts