DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Wade
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an 06 2500 hemi with a 6 inch lift 37's and 4.56 gears. I recently bought a boat. Boat and trailer weigh 3500 4000 max. Around town i guess its fine but when i get on the highway any sort of incline and the truck struggles and goes back and forth from gear to gear. 'm worried im going to ruin my transmission. I also have a superchip which i use to program my truck for "towing". I mean i guess with the lift and the big tires its going to be a little sluggish but for how little load im towing i would expect it to be much more capable. anyone have any suggestions?

·
Skelton Krew
2017 short bed hemi tradesmen
862 Posts
did you put the truck in tow haul mode?

the 37s with a 20in wheel is a heavy combination even with gears its going to kill some of your towing power on the road.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The lift and tires/wheels is killing your towing power. You're going to have to be more aggressive with your right foot to keep the motor spinning up high were it likes to make power.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
...the truck struggles and goes back and forth from gear to gear...
With 37s and a lift kit, you are not going to have nearly the towing performance. Even stock, the 5.7L Hemi needs RPMs to make power. You need to lock the tranny into lower gears and keep it there so you can keep your RPMs up. Use your tow/haul mode AND overdrive lockout to keep it in drive and hold it in second when needed. Try that and see how it does. Don't be afraid to let it run at 3000 to 3500 RPMs and 4500 RPMs when needed.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
dogleg- maybe consider some other mod's to help the engine breath better- catback exhaust, CAI, and replace the factory YPipe. This along with your Superchips will at least help free up some extra power and let the motor spin easier.

·
Wade
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dogleg- maybe consider some other mod's to help the engine breath better- catback exhaust, CAI, and replace the factory YPipe. This along with your Superchips will at least help free up some extra power and let the motor spin easier.
I have all of that haha. I guess its time to start thinking about a cummins.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I'd say a cummin's or more gear!

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I agree, my truck has no problem pulling my boat or utility trailer full of wood. I got 4.10's and the 285/70/17's- barely know they are there.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Definitely need to get it out of OD. With 22's (stock diameter, but more weight) I had to turn off the OD to pull my boat at 5000#. It couldn't hold OD on a flat road.
With the 4.56, it pulls fine in OD. Only shifts down on big hills.
Power band is 2500 to about 4000 on my truck with the 5.7L and some mods.

·
Wade
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Definitely need to get it out of OD. With 22's (stock diameter, but more weight) I had to turn off the OD to pull my boat at 5000#. It couldn't hold OD on a flat road.
With the 4.56, it pulls fine in OD. Only shifts down on big hills.
Power band is 2500 to about 4000 on my truck with the 5.7L and some mods.
you consistently running between those rpm when towing? and just curious but what kind of mpg's are you getting?

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Time for a sidewinder cam, I pull a 8500lb travel trailer and it is night and day compared to stock. My truck pulls in 4th gear on flat ground easily now, and will shift down to third on moderate hills. It is hands down the best towing mod I've done by far, and I am on stock 20's with 3:92's.

·
Wade
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How much did you pay for that cam + install? And where did you get it from?

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I got a smokin deal thanks to some good guys in Cali, but expect to pay around 5-600 for instal and about the same for parts. I found my cam used for a couple hun and the rest of the parts were 2-250. The sidewinder is a very mild but torquey cam, it will run on the stock tune with no problems. They make other good towing cams as well. It is far cheaper to cam the truck then get a new one. I tow a heavy tall trailer and carry a thousand pounds of Atv's in the bed and I have no problems, even in the California heat and mountains. I now live in Canada and will not have to deal with mountains very often so it will be even easier towing. There are some good installers in your area, you can check with the LX crowd too for a good shop or installer.

·
Registered
612 Posts
you consistently running between those rpm when towing? and just curious but what kind of mpg's are you getting?
I get 10 to 11 mpg towing and 13-14.5 not towing. When towing, I run the speed limit, be it 35 or 65 or 70.

Generally its running 2100 to 2300 rpm (65-70 mph) until it shifts out of OD, then its around 3000. If it drops another gear on a big hill it will be around 3500. I have no problem with enough power, but it really roars with the loud exhaust.

If your worried about mpg, you better lose the big tires.:D I had an 01 off road 4x4 with 35's and 4.10 gears and the 5.9L, best mpg was 12-13 not towing and 8-9 towing.:bawl: That's why I bought the 3G with the Hemi, more power, better mpg!

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
I tow at max load. 10,500lbs, 4.56's, 33" tires (stock size). I leave it in 5th gear & am at 3200 rpms. I get 7-9 mpg, depending on wind & hills, or stop & go vs hwy. I have had it as high as 5500 rpms in 3rd gear climbing a long, steep hill, to maintain 55 mph as i had a mile of traffic behind me. Engine is happy towing at 3200 rpms. I have tried 6th, but get less mpg, cause it is lugging with the heavy load.

I would do one of 3 things. Either remove lift & go to 33" tires, get a Hemi with the 6-speed manual G-56 trans, or get a CTD.

·
Registered
219 Posts
what about different wheels for towing only?

·
Registered
488 Posts
you need more gear if you want to keep the truck/tires/wheels/lift. most guys run 4.56 gears with stock tires for good towing performance. you need to jump up 4.88 gears to get it close to stock probably (don't feel like doing the math or research gear options right now)

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Put a supercharger on it or a turbo and listen to the whistle as you tow.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts