DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I now have a informed opinion on the two upgrades.

You will feel the hypertech (worth 1.33 times the money in my opinion~$300)...

You will almost be brought to tears with the 4.56's (worth 3.5 times the money in my opinion~$500).

Again, "don't fear the gear" unless you're racing against it!

· Registered
9,836 Posts
LOL... Welcome to the Club.

I agree 100%.. the 4.56's are the single best mod in my book and should be the FIRST mod on the list with anyone who owns a 3rd Gen Ram.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

· Registered
60 Posts
What kind of RPMS are you guys turning on the highway with the 4.56s? I am thinking of those or 4.11s in my 4x4

· Registered
1,268 Posts
I agree that 4.56's are the best mod i have done so far. My RPM's are about 2200 at 75-80mph (my speedo is off because of tires so this is an estimate)

You should make a 4.56 association

· Registered
281 Posts
Here you go. Fill it in and it will tell you what RPMs. http://www.5speedtransmissions.com/gear_calculator.html
Check the build your own box. Uncheck all others.
45RFE Ratios: First: 3.00:1; Second: 1.67:1 upshift, 1.50:1 kickdown; Third: 1.00:1; Fourth: 0.75:1; Reverse: 3.00:1
545RFE Ratios: First: 3.00:1; Second: 1.67:1 (upshift) 1.50 (kick-down); Third: 1.00:1; Fourth: 0.75:1; Fifth: 0.67;

· Registered
412 Posts
slammed1 said:
2900 @ 80 with 31.5 tall tires
2600 @ 80 with 33" tires.

· Registered
525 Posts
my power wagon came stock with the 4.56 gear and 33" tires. i can cruise at 2000rpm's at 65. thats me just half eye balling it. it might be better than that. my truck is still under a month old and i haven't hit 80 mph .... yet.

· Banned
2,424 Posts
do the gears affect anyones burnout ability (preferably make it better)?

· Registered
9,836 Posts
Well when I had 3.55's I could not even power brake it.... LOL it would just rev up and BLAWWWWW but no tire spin. With the 4.56's I can light them up with just half gas and very little brake.... once the spinning has began I can release the break and spinn as long as I want to. At the track it was NO PROBLEM doing a John Force burn out half way down the track ..... And Im 4.7L powered.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

· Registered
1,268 Posts
I can spin my 35's without powerbraking a little bit before they grab. But my 5.9 revs like a deisel so other then off the line my truck is slow =(

· Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
With 305's & a tonneau cover I can barely screech on dry pavement but boy do I take off!

I'm going to race my girlfriends BMW 330ci when we find a good spot.
I have driven her car hard and I think I can spank her off the line but after the quater mark I think I might be in trouble.

Time will tell.

· Registered
9,836 Posts
NOPE... he is not taking into consideration the .67 overdrive. Trust those of us who have DONE IT... you will get getter fuel economey up to 75MPH.... and OK fuel economey up to 80-85MPH... It does not get any better than that.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

· Registered
9,836 Posts
Well if I had to guess... I would say APPROX.

19-20MPG @ 70-75MPH
17-18MPG @ 75-80MPH
16-17MPG @ 80-85MPH

I know this is NOT exact but it will be a DARN close guestament.

And from 0-60 you will have an easy 2-3MPG increase from what your getting now.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

· Registered
4,012 Posts
Hey AirRam, I'm giving the swap some concideration. I'm more of a light to light driver not much high speed anyway. I went from horrible 2:73s in my TA to 3:73s and felt like a new car. I then moved into a 12 bolt with 4:10s, I love the gear. You think swapping my tired 3:55s with 4:56s would be a similar kick in the A$$. I hate to lose the warranty but I'm so very tempted. What brand gear set did you go with? Thanks.

lowhemi, what were your gears stock? And what brand 4:56 did you get? Thanks.

· Registered
9,836 Posts
BLACKWOLF said:
Hey AirRam, I'm giving the swap some concideration. I'm more of a light to light driver not much high speed anyway. I went from horrible 2:73s in my TA to 3:73s and felt like a new car. I then moved into a 12 bolt with 4:10s, I love the gear. You think swapping my tired 3:55s with 4:56s would be a similar kick in the A$$. I hate to lose the warranty but I'm so very tempted. What brand gear set did you go with? Thanks.

lowhemi, what were your gears stock? And what brand 4:56 did you get? Thanks.
The 4.56's in a 3rd Gen truck is the BEST of both worlds... you will LOVE the gears with no doubt and yes its a HUGE kick in the ars all the way till you let your foot of the gas. You WILL fall in love with your truck all over again. As for the warranty, I dont think you will have a hard time with that. At lease I didnt. I have MOTIVE gears in mine but now the YUKON gears are available and there is NO reason why you should not get the YUKONs they are said to be the BEST.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.