DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Older, but no wiser.
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put the 40 compressor wheel and housing on their 35? I just got a new HX-35 under warranty and when I go over 100k I want to add the wheel and housing from my 40. I've been told their is some minor machining to the center section, but I dont know where. I have acess to the tools to do the job, but dont want my truck down for that long... HELP!
Thanks in advance... Chris

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
I disassembled mine, set up the bearing housing in a lathe and machined the compressor wheel recess to .030" larger diameter/same depth than the HX40 compressor wheel. The edge of the bearing housing surface is several thousandths higher than the edge of the compressor wheel which I'll machine a .750" bevel next time I have it apart.
Another thing I have to do is procure an HX40 4" exhaust housing outlet and downpipe to get the full benefit.

I've read there's a stock 6 major blade Holset HX40 compressor wheel that's 60mm OD at the small end (inducer) and 88mm at the large end (exducer)...is yours like that? Mine is 6 blade, 60mm inducer & 85mm exducer.
Inches x 25.4 = mm

·
Older, but no wiser.
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Clunk, did you happen to take pics? I have acess to the machinery, but Im a more visual person. "Cut her to here" works for me....
I have the HX-40 outlet flange for a v band, but the bolt pattern is different on the 35 than the 40. Otherwise I would have dropped the 40 right in and been able to keep my Banks Brake. If you want pics of the difference, PM me and I'll email them to you. I have the stock elbow to use as a side by side comp.
I guess now I have to pull the 40 apart and start measuring... Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
114 Posts
I had a friend machine an adapter to go from the 35 to a 40 downpipe. I can take pics and send it over later.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Great pics TorqueThis,

Here's a HX35 Bearing Housing machined for the 60mm HX40 compressor. The machining was a little sloppy and as fast as it failed, I suspect the assembly was a little sloppy too. After I bought it offa eBay and it failed, I downloaded a manual, bought a new HX35 cartridge assembly, machined the housing...setup .0005" center & .0005" runout, assembled and it's doing good on the motor for nearly 2 months.

I put an HX35 compressor in one pic for comparison.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Chris...notch the HX35 shaft to the HX35 compressor wheel balance marks or painted fin and same for the HX40 wheel & shaft so you can line up the HX40 wheel to the HX35 shaft.

This one is machined 3.525". I think mine is out to 3.480"....just add .080" to your compressor OD and you'll have plenty of clearance.

·
Registered
114 Posts
www.htturbo.com They have the stuff to make a hybrid.

I am in the process of getting my Garrett PowerMax turbo back on. Ball bearing and water cooled.

I removed it when I blew my head gasket. I thought the turbo failed and allowed all the coolant into the intercooler and cylinders. Swapped my hybrid back in and still had coolant issues, hence the blown gasket.

I even blew a head gasket with fire rings and 12mm studs.

·
Older, but no wiser.
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Guys. I think I'm gonna replace the bearings and seals when I do this, just to be safe. I'd hate to go through all this and have it blow up right away.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Torque This,
Please explain to my poor mind how coolant gets into the intercooler.

·
Registered
114 Posts
High cylinder pressure due the head gasket blowing on a coolant passage.

I had no coolant in the oil. All the coolant was in the intercooler, the intercooler piping, the intake on the head, and the exhaust to the muffler.

I raced some jerk in a ricer on a cold morning on the way too work. Totally my fault for not being up to engine operating temp. When I let off the go-pedal, all I could see was steam in the rear view. Fortunely I work right off the highway. I limped into the parking lot and shut the truck off. Coolant was boiling in the overflow bottle.

I had it towed to my shop. I tried cranking the motor and it would not move. I thought I had blown the motor. Could not even turn it over with the barring tool.

My first thought was that a seal in the turbo went (the water cooled Garret). While swapping the turbo, that's when I noticed the coolant in the IC piping. Looked at the intake horn hump hose and that also had antifreeze. Sucked it all out with a shop vac, put the hybrid back on. Pulled the injectors and found the cylinders full of coolant. Sucked them all out with the shop vac, reassembled and started the truck.

Still blowing lots of steam, running rough, then it finally died.

Brought it back in and pulled the head. I had 2 fire rings fail and it blew the gasket by a coolant passage.

Got all new rings and a gasket, reassembled and all has been great since. This was about a year ago when this hapened.

I had the Garrett check and it's fine. The only thing that any of us can think of is that the cylinder pressures were so great from the coolant, it might have been blowing out of the overflow and being sucked in by the air filter.

In our shop we have the "Wall of Shame". It has blown head gaskets, fried lift pumps, melted pistons, water pumps, etc. These engines are truly amazing at the punishment they can take.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Must've been a crack in the water passage of your watercooled turbo..there's no source of coolant near my intake air until it hits the cylinder head. Maybe if the motor spun backward with the head gasket spraying into a cylinder.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Nope, nothing wrong with the turbo, had it checked out by Garrett.

What I was never told about using head studs is that they need to checked every year. Take one out at a time and re-lube with moly and re-torque them. I went 3-1/2 years with doing nothing.

Over time, the head was lifting just enough that the rings would vibrate and get blown out. They also have changed the material they make the fire rings out of.

On cylinder 3 and 4 is where the rings blew out. There was a clear path burnt in the head gasket to the coolant passages from the cylinders.

·
Registered
128 Posts
sorry to hear about the blown head gasket. If that story doesnt teach people to bring her up to full operating temp before opening her up then nothing will!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.