DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I see the CAI isn't worth the money, I was wondering if anybody had done a before and after dyno with cat-back systems? Just wondering if anybody has proof of a HP increase after cat-back install?

Dan'o

·
Registered
87 Posts
HIPCHIP said:
Now that I see the CAI isn't worth the money, I was wondering if anybody had done a before and after dyno with cat-back systems? Just wondering if anybody has proof of a HP increase after cat-back install?

Dan'o
No proof of HP increases but, it's cool eye candy under the hood and sounds awesome at WOT. I have no regrets with my Typhoon.

·
Registered
290 Posts
cai

ditto!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've done a little research on this subject and from past experiences, you don't get a whole lot of bang for the buck by simply changing an exhaust. Yes you will gain some but if you get a true 7rwhp (optimistically) that's about 100.00 per hp depending on the kit. The kit will make the car sound better and the tips will look better than stock and with the increased sound, you'll feel a seat of the pants difference, but your 1/4 times will not be that much better.
Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Here's a copy of a post I did on "the other" forum. I would just say, it depends on what you want/expect for you mod. $$.
"From an OLD article of Popular Hot Rodding regarding the Hemi engine. Here's a quote on the intake system:
"The system has a tuned length from the filter to the plenum and from here each port runner to valve is a tuned length. Computer modeling and dyno testing has allowed the ports, plenum and filter-to-plenum runner length and diameter/volume to be sized near optimally for a wide power band consistent with street performance needs. The end product proved capable of delivering cooler air than an aluminum manifold while only restricting the intake port 10 percent at full valve lift. That is about the same as a good aftermarket performance intake."
The whole article can be found at: http://popularhotrodding.com/tech/0403phr_hemi/

With regard to the exhaust system, a quote from an article in Ward's Auto World:
"He says engineers strive to achieve any desired result with as little muffler volume as possible, and the 300C's 9.86:1 compares favorably to, say, the Lexus LS430 fullsize sedan, which has a muffler volume/engine displacement ratio of about 15:1. Making the 300C/Magnum system work with such efficient muffler capacity is a particularly worthy feat that Keck attributes to Eberspaecher engineers' mastery of computer-simulated design for exhaust systems." The complete article can be found at:
http://www.findarticles.com/p/artic..._40/ai_n6192767

I guess, as we do our mods., we might get lucky, or, then again, we might not, with regard to truely increasing performance....not just noise levels. I am sure there are as many opinions on this as there are members in this forum. What's yours?"

·
Registered
332 Posts
Well, I guess I'm going to be the guinea pig. The SRT8 (Magnum) is supposed to be here on July 14th. I have a local dyno shop ready to give me a basis when I get it broken in and then I plan to add a CAI (if there is one available for the 6.1) and a set of Zoomers. I will try to install and dyno them separately to get an exact performance increase if I can. I will post results here and at the other spots when I do it and we'll all finally have a definitive answer. The dyno guy said that he has done before & after dynos on the Zoomers and other systems and said that the Vroooooooooom factor was about all he saw. I want the Vroooooom factor. So we'll find out.
KK

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is what I needed to know. The LX forum did the CAI test and showed not much difference over stock (Actually stock was the best) and it appears not much of a change with the cat-back, so I will save a bunch of money for now and spend it on other toys :cool:

·
Mainiac
526 Posts
Qzking,

If it were me I'd try and hang onto everything I hacked off that car (and hopefully just unbolted) so I could take it back to stock someday. Someday a bone stock one o' those is going to have some added value to it.

Oh and yes, I am envious :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
The thread in lxforums on the Intake Test results has a post where someone gained 2 tenths off his ET at the track with the Borla exhaust. I see in another post where magnaflows gained 2 tenths. One other thread has headers and exhaust with the same 2 tenths gain. That figures to be about 15 to 20 HP added. I don't think you would feel that on the street and at $600 to $1000 it will be awhile before I go that route and I race almost every weekend.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Right on Matt. Everything goes to storage if and when. Starting to have second thoughts and I'll wait until it arrives and drive it awhile before I do anything except dyno it stock after break-in.
KK
MattRobertson said:
Qzking,

If it were me I'd try and hang onto everything I hacked off that car (and hopefully just unbolted) so I could take it back to stock someday. Someday a bone stock one o' those is going to have some added value to it.

Oh and yes, I am envious :D

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Mod It!! Mod It!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.