DodgeTalk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been dealing with this truck for a while, rebuilt it twice and I finally have it all back together but it takes a little bit to start it it’s very hit and miss unless you take the first spark plug out of the head. It will start every time and run with the misfire. But as soon as you put it back in it will start and die after 10 seconds. Anybody experienced anything similar? How do I fix it?

·
Registered
1976 Dodge D100 Custom Utiline 360 A-833 OD trans.
611 Posts
Sounds to me like you have the firing order off or the overall timing Isn’t correct.

Have you verified firing order? Distributor orientation?Any decent shop manual will guide you through setting up intial timing.

Ron

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds to me like you have the firing order off or the overall timing Isn’t correct.

Have you verified firing order? Distributor orientation?Any decent shop manual will guide you through setting up intial timing.

Ron
I have done the firing order and distributor like five times. I know the order is right but I’ll keep playing with the timing. thx.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Are you sure you started at the correct TDC on piston #1. You can hit TDC on any one of the strokes. It needs to be TDC on the compression stroke. Sorry if you already know this I have no idea of your background.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you sure you started at the correct TDC on piston #1. You can hit TDC on any one of the strokes. It needs to be TDC on the compression stroke. Sorry if you already know this I have no idea of your background.
Honestly I don’t know how to tell the difference but I found the positive wire for the starter got pinched between the head and the exhaust header when I put it back together and it was grounding itself. I started her right up and she ran like a dream. But then I tried to start it 5 min later and no dice just spinning. I’m stumped because it obviously has fuel spark and compression. I’m going to check compression though to be sure but it should go.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I am a little confused. Was the original problem the engine wasn’t turning over? Or did it turn over, but wouldn’t fire.

The starter and ignition circuits are separate and fixing a starter wire should have no effect on ignition. It certainly sounds like a wiring issue now since it started and ran fine for 5mins.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am a little confused. Was the original problem the engine wasn’t turning over? Or did it turn over, but wouldn’t fire.

The starter and ignition circuits are separate and fixing a starter wire should have no effect on ignition. It certainly sounds like a wiring issue now since it started and ran fine for 5mins.
Well it blew a head gasket so I rebuilt it that’s when we pinched that wire but I only found it yesterday because when I connected the battery 1 it sparked and sizzled and 2 that wire was super hot so I followed it down into the pinch. It could have fried some other wires being grounded like that idk but it’s been able to crank forever just hadn’t really ran well until I fixed that wire. I’m hoping it’s a fuel thing so I’m going to swap my carb throw some heat in it and a bunch of fresh gas and redo the other 5 spark plugs I haven’t done yet. It did the same thing this morning where it ran until I put it in reverse died and didn’t even hit when I tried to start it again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
With a test light, 12 volt, hook it up to the coil and see if it glows bright with starter engaged and dimmer with key in run position. Checking your ballast resistor wiring.

If it’s older with points and condenser, the condenser could be bad.

Andygears

1 - 8 of 8 Posts