DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:help: Okay. I did a quick search in hopes of finding an answer to my question. I did not find one. I hope I didnt over look it and make a new post out of something that has already been discussed. I own a 94, Ram 4x2, V8-5.2L. Auto 46RH. I am in the process of trying to get the flywheel replaced (actually to get a new ring gear put on). Taking it to a shop is out of the question! My brother and I who are pretty mechanically inclined are obliged to tackle the problem ourselves. I have been told it is not necessary to remove the transmission, that I only need to slide it back far enough to get to the flyweel. I have found some directions for removing the transmission assmbly but no directions for sliding it to get to the flywheel. I am asking anyone who knows and is willing to offer some "good instructions" to please, please do so. I am up against the clock as I am in desperate need of completing this repair over the coming weekend. Alot to ask? Yes, I know it is but I'd be willing to pay $20 or $30 bucks for some good information that I could follow!!!

1994 Dodge Ram, 4x2, V8-5.2L, 46rh Tranny
Complete Interior Swap, Complete Cooling System Overhaul, Complete Front-End Overhaul w/ Energy Suspension and Moog Components,

·
Mike
276 Posts
Well, I pulled my tranny out with a trans adapter that went onto my jack. The thing is I have a 46re tranny and the flywheel is welded to the torque convertor. Not sure if that is the case for the 46rh but you may want to do some investigating. Might not be a bad idea to replace your TC while its out and then you know its done right.

·
4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes
5,828 Posts
It is true that the ring gear is welded to the torque convertor as sugggested by mctr7.

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
so the flywheel has no ring gear, the ring gear is on the T/C?
The starter actually spins the T/C and turns the engine over via the input shaft linking it to the crank?

·
Registered
73 Posts
You should be able to see if it one or the other.
Dodges typically used to have a triangle flex plate that bolted to the crank and to the converter, the ring gear was on the converter.
Just under mine today (95 2500 w/cummins) and it has the ring gear on the converter.
Not sure if the ring would be replaceable?

Have the parts man look it up and see before you start.

As for the sliding it back part....I have done it before to replace flex plates.
In many cases you can use a jack and unbolt the trans and converter and leave the cooler lines and wires attached and pull it back to get a couple inches between so you can get to the crank bolts but if the ring is on the converter you will be pulling it out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.