DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just had engine light come on , how do I retrieve the codes without a gizmo?? read it somewhere that by doing something or the other it flashes on the speedo somewhere? and how do i translate the code ( code 65 engine is dead)
Thanks for the info :rck:

· Serenity
5,995 Posts
importedpork said:
just had engine light come on , how do I retrieve the codes without a gizmo?? read it somewhere that by doing something or the other it flashes on the speedo somewhere? and how do i translate the code ( code 65 engine is dead)
Thanks for the info :rck:
On my 04 if you turn the ignition on-off-on-off-on the third time your turn it on the codes should print out where your odometer is. Then when they are all listed it will print done. Just have a pencil and paper ready. If that does not work you could always take it to Autozone or one of those places and they usually will read them for free for you.

· Premium Member
31,324 Posts
It was said on a different thread that the “Dodge Key Dance” doesn’t work on the 2004 trucks; I do not know if this statement is completely true.

· Serenity
5,995 Posts
dmcelhannon said:
It was said on a different thread that the “Dodge Key Dance” doesn’t work on the 2004 trucks; I do not know if this statement is completely true.
I just went out and tried it again and it does work for me. Right now it just prints "done" because I do not have any codes, but it does work.

· Premium Member
31,324 Posts
Maybe it has to do with the PCM or ECM model type? Thanks for letting me know it works on your truck.

17,103 Posts
P0171 OBD-II Trouble Code
Technical DescriptionSystem Too Lean (Bank 1)

What does that mean?
Basically this means that an oxygen sensor in bank 1 detected a lean condition (too much oxygen in the exhaust). On V6/V8/V10 engines, Bank 1 is the side of the engine that has cylinder #1.

Note: This DTC is very similar to P0174, and in fact your vehicle may show both codes at the same time.

Symptoms
You will more than likely not notice any drivability problems, although there may be symptoms such as a lack of power, detonation (spark knock), and/or a hesitation/surge on acceleration.

Causes
A code P0171 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

The MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor is dirty or faulty. Note: The use of "oiled" air filters (K&N, etc.) can cause the MAF to become dirty if the filter is over-oiled
There could be a vacuum leak downstream of the MAF sensor.
Possible SolutionsPossible solutions include:

In the vast majority of cases, simply cleaning the MAF sensor does the trick. Consult your service manual for it's location if you need help. I find it's best to take it off and spray it with electronics cleaner or brake cleaner. Make sure you are careful not to damage the MAF sensor, and make sure it's dry before reinstalling
Inspect all vacuum and PCV hoses, replace if necessary
Check for a dirty fuel filter and proper fuel pressure

· Clinically Certified
736 Posts
Jeff...I don't think our engines use a Mass Air Flow...it is a speed density system. But the lean bank can be due to vacuum or faulty O2 sensor regardless.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
People say there is only one good use for the internet, YEP to get your truck fixed. :)
Jeff you were right the MAF was dirty cleaned it with brake cleaner re-set code and DONE NO MORE CODES

Thanks again

On the easy side know where to get the chrome HEMI sign for badge ( i am a wanna be). :thatfunny

17,103 Posts
importedpork said:
People say there is only one good use for the internet, YEP to get your truck fixed. :)
Jeff you were right the MAF was dirty cleaned it with brake cleaner re-set code and DONE NO MORE CODES

Thanks again

On the easy side know where to get the chrome HEMI sign for badge ( i am a wanna be). :thatfunny
Glad we could help you.

Ohhhhhhhhhhh and BTW

DON'T BE A POSER

You got what you got....be proud of it!!!

· Registered
2,639 Posts
If your MAF was dirty you have much bigger problems.....somebody swapped a chevy motor in your truck!!! :D

· Registered
2,611 Posts
Hemi's have MAP, not MAF.

MAP is Manifold Absolute Pressure
MAF is Mass Air Flow.

My 04 can only give C codes with the key trick, they are useless to me.

What year is your truck?

· Registered
2,639 Posts
What are you calling "C" codes? Chassis codes?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.