DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know how to disassemble the dash to get the radio out???

·
Registered
621 Posts
BIG Hammer?? Prybar?? TNT?? Any of those should work, but as in how the dash is dis-assembled, couldnt help ya.. :)

Thank you please drive through..

·
Registered
740 Posts
Several screws and the dash trim pops off revealing the radio mounting screws.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Pull up on the shift knob to remove it. Use a trim stick and pry up the shift bezel. Start at the bottom of the center bezel and carefully pry off with a trim stick, working side to side and bottom to top. The bezel has 4 clips on each side that snap into the dash. The HVAC cables are short but can be removed by releasing the white retainers with a small screwdriver. Unplug the connectors and the bezel should be free. The radio mounts in a bracket with 4 screws. Unplug the connectors and antenna cable. Pull antenna straight out holding the connector, do not pull on the cable.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the diagrams. I decided to let the dealer install the RAQ unit in the Compass and remover the RKE unit that came with it ... $80 for him to replace and reprogram the computer to recogize the radio.... not bad ... and the new radio works great. I may need to get in there for something in the future.

A couple of notes for anybody trying to figure out which radio to get in your compass because the dealer info isn't real clear and your salesperson may not know this either:

1. The RKE unit (single CD) plays regular CD's and has an input jack for plugging in an MP3 player or other audio source. The unit can also be fed with the Sirus satellite receiver if you buy that. If you have the satellite service, you will only see the channel number on the radio display and the name of the station (like "Gold") on the Vehicle Information Center located under the speedometer. You will not get any of the other information, like song title or artist.

2. The RAQ unit is the 6 disk model that can also have a Sirius satellite input. This unit does not have a jack for an auxiliary input. This unit will play regular CD's and also MP3 CD's. If you don't have the satellite radio, you can buy a PIE adapter to add an auxiliary input ( it uses the satellite connection into the radio). If you already have the satellite, the PIE can't be added unless you want to disconnect the satellite. This unit does display all the satellite info, such as artist and title (although it doesn't automatically scroll the info. . you have to push the info button to manually see the rest of the info.) I also found the display brightness to be a little dimmer than the RKE unit ... in bright sunlight it isn't quite as easy to read .. fine in lower light or nightime.

·
Registered
587 Posts
The REC GPS navigation stereo will also work. It does require changing out the dash center bezel for a new one to fit the larger dimesions of the REC stereo.

I will probably be listing a new RAQ stereo out of my new 2007 Ram that will work in the Caliber. Also have a REC Marine Blue bezel for the Caliber I'll put up on ebay shortly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.