DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
291 Posts
Spare Tire Removal

Not sure on your '02, but on my '96 there is a small flap in the carpet near where the hatch comes down and if lifted it exposes a bolt head that the lug wrench fits on and by turning that your lower or raise the spare.

· Registered
629 Posts
vabear said:
Not sure on your '02, but on my '96 there is a small flap in the carpet near where the hatch comes down and if lifted it exposes a bolt head that the lug wrench fits on and by turning that your lower or raise the spare.
Yup they all work the same if you are lucky enough to not have one rusted into place where the tire won't come down but the cable does , that's always fun to work on . It also amazing whats in that owners manual in the glovebox.

· Registered
364 Posts
Since you have had the cable comes down without the tire experience, would you care to share what steps need to be taken to remedy that. That is exactly what my tire does. I messed with it a bit during the summer, but didn't figure out how to get it down out of there.

· Registered
364 Posts
My tire it's self isn't stuck in place, it comes down a bit, but once it lowers a couple of inches, the cable just comes loose, and I can't get the tire to come the rest of the way out.

· Registered
115 Posts
TomQuick: There is a safety latch there that catches the tire so it does not drop accidentally. You have to lift the tire slightly and release the latch with a long screwdriver or somethng similar. If you search, you'll find many posts with specific instructions and pictures.

It's a good idea to lower the tire and lube up the whole assembly once a year. You don't want to be figuring this out for the first time on the side of the road on a dark night.

· Registered
28 Posts
Good Info!
After reading posts about this problem I think I'm going to get a nice tire cover, clean the spare up and store it in the rear Stow-N-Go compartment.
It'll be in a more friendly environment and easy to get when needed.
Mine is below the floor between the front seats because of the Stow-N-Go lay-out and requires dragging it out with the jack handle.
I don't even want to think about doing that even in daytime good weather.

· Registered
65 Posts
Keeping that tire in good condition is important.

I work as a cashier in a service center. After the shop closes I help people who come in with flats and stuff.

Once someone came in with a huge Ford suv. He needed his spare put on. I lowered the wheel from the car. It was covered in rust.

As I was tightening it with the impact gun, I noticed that the lugs were turning much more than usual. I should have stopped there, but I continued to tighten it a little and I heard it snap. I couldn't see anything but I knew the rim had cracked somewhere.

I told him to drive slowly, but I could still see the wheel wobble as he pulled away.

Oh well. :thatfunny

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.