DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 Dodge 1500 4x4 5.9l. The right ( pass side) u joint that connects the front axle to the wheel needs replaced. I am trying to read through my chiltons manual to figure out how to do this.

How do I know which axle I have?
Chilton says it can be one of these:

CV joint ( I know it is not this)
194 FIA
216 FBI
248 FBI
C205F

How hard is this job? I can move the u-joint back and forth with my hand where it connects.

·
Mopar owner since 1977
1,204 Posts
You have a Dana 44 axle and I believe the standard dana joint for that is a 5-297X or the heavier but non greasable 5-760x. Rock auto lists the axle joint as a 377 precision part #.

Here's the link to the dana joints...I highly reccomend OEM over imported stuff the aftermarket sells. Usually someone sells dana in most decent sixed cities.

http://www.justdifferentials.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=414

The hardest part is getting the front hub nuts off and the hub bearings out. In fact you may want to consider installing new hub bearings if you haven't recently, because if you haven't you'll be doing it soon. :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does it require pulling the differential cover off to pull the axles. The chilton absolutely sucks in explaing this job. I have gone into projects blind before but try not to on a daily driver that I have to make sure is running on Monday morning.

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
you do not have to open the diff basicly you remove the wheel take a big screw driver down thru the caliper into a slot on the rotor remove the spindle nut i recomend a 3/4 drive breaker bar for this once the nut is removed remove the caliper remove the 3 bolts holding the bearing assy in remove the bearing assy pull the axle out replace the u-joint then re assy in reverse order

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.