DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started to install a new steering stabilizer shock and removed the nut and bolt to the far left of the center. Then I took off the nut from the center bolt connect to the shock. Then I could not remove the center bolt. The shock looks like it will not come off the center bolt and it does not seem to turn. Does this bolt unscrew from the rod it goes through?

The truck is a 2001 RAM 1500 4x4.

Thanks for the info.

Tom

·
Chicks dig bench seats.
1,901 Posts
Yeah you need a tie rod puller and i bent mine all up. I had to rebolt mine and drive it around the corner to a shop with a hydrolic on that hammers away. They also heated it a little. It is a PAIN...

·
<<RamiNator>>
57 Posts
I didn't have a puller so I put the nut back on just enough to hold and put a socket w/extension on there and hit the extension with a hammer, after 3 bruised up knuckles, a smashed thumb nail and 40 mins, it popped right off. No sweat, just tears and sore shoulder muscle.

·
Registered
62 Posts
JCox said:
I didn't have a puller so I put the nut back on just enough to hold and put a socket w/extension on there and hit the extension with a hammer, after 3 bruised up knuckles, a smashed thumb nail and 40 mins, it popped right off. No sweat, just tears and sore shoulder muscle.

Yeah I used a Big ole' hammer also....:whackit: did the trick!:cheers:

·
Registered
221 Posts
I only see those shocks on trucks with suspension lifts. Is it actually a seperate thing from a lift and can just get one to put on my truck now. I really don't know much about it, except that its to help my steering

2001 sport off rd 4x4

thnx

·
Chicks dig bench seats.
1,901 Posts
I just think it looks cooler.. And matches my shocks

·
Registered
221 Posts
bigredtank said:
I just think it looks cooler.. And matches my shocks
lol doesn't do much

·
Chicks dig bench seats.
1,901 Posts
jrrose76 said:
lol doesn't do much
Never said it DID do much.. well maybe the boot protects the shaft a little more and the new one is probably more durable.. But other than that.. it doesnt do much extra.

·
Registered
221 Posts
bigredtank said:
Never said it DID do much.. well maybe the boot protects the shaft a little more and the new one is probably more durable.. But other than that.. it doesnt do much extra.

thats what I meant ( what I thought you were saying). So should I upgrade mine now or wait for suspension lift?

·
Chicks dig bench seats.
1,901 Posts
I'd wait till you have a lift or you replace the shocks. I just did it cause i got new shocks a while back and i wanted it to match and look nice.

·
Registered
73 Posts
how do you get the old shock off the stud when you finally get the stud out.

my shock should be here today or tomorrow. "shouldve been yesterday but fed ex fukked up again.

since the stud seems to have a steele backing on one side of the shock are you supposed to slide the old shock off the stud and the new one on or what?

please reply asap.

·
<<RamiNator>>
57 Posts
Steering Stabilizer

Whatthe**,

Your new stabilizer will have a new stud already on it. I will tell you this. If your's is the factory stablizer and it has never been taken off, prepare your arms for a workout. I beat on mine for nearly 20 mins off an on before it popped out. You do not have much "swing" room to hit the stud between the swing arm and the front of the truck. Watch your knuckles. IF I remember correctly, after loosening the nut on the stud, screw the nut off to where you have just a little bit of the stud remaining before the nut would come off. Get a sock that is a tad smaller than the nut and either hit the socket or put a small extension on the socket and hit the extension with a hammer. The thing you need to keep in mind no matter how you do it, is don't "mushroom" the stud so that it won't go out the hole on the swing arm.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ya that stud was hard to remove, I used a palm nailer and it came off in about 2secs.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Wish this post was up about two days ago. I just f'd up my bolt trying to put a new boot on the factory stabalizer. I wanted it to match my shocks. I guess I need a bigger hammer and I'd better eat my Wheates before I try it again.

·
Registered
73 Posts
i got my rough country stabilizer shock today and tried beating the old shock off of the tie rod but after 25 minutes i got tired of it so i tried using a tie rod puller but the forks were not wide enough to fit around the wide section where the shock is pressed in so i went to auto zone and rented a Pitman Arm Puller. It fit and took about 4 full turns and then that baby came shooting out and i was goo to go from there.

·
Pudge
297 Posts
stabalizer bar helps alot actually, it stiffens up your steering, for example if your in alot of mud or snow and your stabalizer shock is wore like mine is you will get thrown around and it feels like your steering is getting sucked around all the time and its good for when you are driving down the highway and hit a pot hole you wont shoot to the left or right, i know this from expirience, your steering will drive straight until you hit a bump then it darts you either left or right and with the stabalizer bar it basically beefs up your steering

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.