DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
-Ben-
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This pertains to a 2007 1500 sport but should work on other models but check clearance first.

This is my first how to article so if I leave anything out please comment and I will do my best to answer it for you. This all started when I hit a deer and it broke out part of my factory chrome inserts.

I decided to give the SS grill a try but after getting it I understood why so many people give them negative comments on the clip system and what it can do to your paint or chrome. Since my stock grill had most of the bars knocked out I wasn't really taking a chance so I pulled them off and cut the rest of the bars out.

To take the stock inserts out you have to either take the entire front insert off or the way I did it was to undo the underhood support to allow it to shift slightly to gain access to the insert. I used a flat head screw driver and a 5in1 tool to open the clips to pop the insert out. This is time consuming and a couple of the clips cracked but if you lose a few it really doesn't matter. Taking the entire shell off might be easier but I really didn't feel like trying it.

After you have the inserts out, you have to clip the chrome bars out to make an empty shell. Before I started cutting I test fit the ss grill and it was the look I was after. I used a pair of sidecutters and a pair of tinsnips to cut the plastic bars. They cut rather easily and if its not perfect you can't see them anyways after you re-install it. You just want to make sure the inserts will fit in cleanly.

After cutting out the bars, I used small black zip-ties to clip the ss grill into the stock empty inserts. I only used six per insert and it is pretty stable. Even up close you can't see the zip ties, they hide behind the edges of the stock crosshairs.

Putting the grill inserts back in the truck, you will notice with the ss grill in your stock insert that it is slightly thicker and the stock insert will not seat entirely back into the clips. Since the ss grill is touching from the backside and is slightly larger than the stock insert there is really not a way around this. I used a couple of larger zip-ties to reinforce where needed to keep the grill tight against the back of the shell. You can't see the zip-ties untill you open the hood though. One thing, check clearance before you slam you hood down. I had to trim one of the rubber corners to make sure it wouldn't hit if my hood was slammed shut. Here are some final installed pictures and I hope this helps. Cheers

One final note, if you have tow hooks you can still use the valence grill without removing your hooks. I took my bumper cover off and marked distances and then just cut the smallest holes that would allow me fit the insert in. I then used clear silicone to hold it in place against the tow hooks and the back of my cover. It really completes the look of the ss grill and retains your hooks.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.