DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Just Call Me Oz
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok first things first it is suggested that you soak the rockers in some oil. Do this !!! You will not get any noises when you first start up the engine after installation and it is good insurance. Also, assemble the rockers before you put them into the oil it will be easier now before they are all slippery. Simple process grab 2 rockers and put a bar between the 2 put a bolt through each rocker, place them in oil face down so the bolts are in the air. Then put the spacer thin side down over the bolt. The mushroom part will be facing up.

Attachments

·
Just Call Me Oz
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Start off by removing the air cleaner assembly.

We need to make room to remove the valve covers. The valve cover need to comve straight off and there is a lot of stuff in the way. Make it as easy as possible to work on. Don’t be worried about wondering where everything goes most things can only go in one place. Remove all of the spark plug wires from the spark plugs. It would be good to mark them or use a wire loom to keep the wires in order so you don’t reinstall them in the wrong order.

Attachments

·
Just Call Me Oz
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Take care when removing the plug wires as not to break them and pull out the metal connector from within the plug wire like I did ;)

Attachments

·
Just Call Me Oz
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you are working alone a helpful tip use a pair of vise grips and attach it to the throttle linkage plate and you can use the to help prop some of the wires tubes and what ever out of the way while you work on installing the rockers.

Attachments

·
Just Call Me Oz
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Next remove the vacuum lines from the intake manifold. Remove the fuel injector wires and any other wires in the way. You need to disconnect almost all of the wires in order to give yourself enough room to remove the bolts around the valve covers.

You can see how I was able to wrap the heater hose around the vise grips to keep it out of the way.

Attachments

·
Just Call Me Oz
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now that you have everything removed to have a clear path to remove the valve cover. You will notice the amount of dirt that collects between the fuel injectors and the valve covers. This all need to be cleaned or else when you remove the valve covers all this dirt will end up inside you engine on top of the head. I suggest a good scraping and a shop vac. Get it so there are no loose particles that will fall.

Attachments

·
Just Call Me Oz
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I started with the passenger side because it has more room to see and since this is your first time take the easier side first so when you get the harder side you will have some practise under your belt.

Remove all of the bolts that hold down the valve covers there are 10 and they are 10mm use an extension and a ratchet as you can see there is not much room back there. It is a good idea to have a magnetic tray to keep your nuts and bolts in order so you do not loose any while removing.

Attachments

·
Just Call Me Oz
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There are a few wire looms attached to the valve cover studs they just pull off.

But beware some times they leave behind a little plastic washer and since everything is black it is hard to see. I fought with this one for a little bit wondering why my socket would not fit on the nut only to find out about the washer. Pulled that off and everything removed just fine.

Attachments

·
Just Call Me Oz
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now that all of the bolts are removed, pull off the valve covers try to pull them off straight as not to allow and dust or debris to fall under.

Again take the time to vacuum and scrap out and dirt you find after removing the valve covers. Passenger side valve cover removed. Now you could either continue to remove the drivers side valve cover or install the roller rockers. Since your Rockers are still soaking in oil I opted to remove the valve cover so I can get the messy work out of the way. Then I will wash my hands and handle the new rockers with clean hands.

(ya ya I know the rockers are already installed, I forgot to take pictures of me scraping ;) )

Attachments

·
Just Call Me Oz
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On to the drivers side. Now as you can see not much room at all. Now that you have some practise from the passenger side you know what to expect. Remove the 10 bolts once again. I ran into a similar problem with the drivers side as with the wire looms.

I was not able to completely disconnect the wiring harness on the drivers side so I had mine still sitting there next to the valve cover. To hold the harness in place they put these plastic loops that loop over the studs holding down the valve cover. There is one of these loops over the stud way at the back of the valve cover. If you try to remove the bolt back there your socket could be just sitting on top of this loop just like with the plastic washer from the wire loom on the passenger side.

Attachments

·
Just Call Me Oz
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I needed a little boost to get over top of the brake booster ;)

Attachments

·
Just Call Me Oz
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Remove the valve cover, the cover does not remove as easy because of clearance issues with the brake booster. But, do your best not to let any dirt into the engine. Clean up again on the drivers side with a vacuum and scrapper.

Now is a good time to clean and maybe paint your valve covers. The nice thing about our valve cover gaskets are, they are reusable.

Unless they are damaged like mine were.

Attachments

·
Just Call Me Oz
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now that the valve covers are removed it is time to remove the stock rockers. First go wash your hands and clean up your work space.

Get a clean cloth and lay it out on your fan shroud. So you can have a clean area for your rockers. Remove the rocker from the oil and place them face side down just as they were in the oil. As you can see I did not assemble everything before I put them in the oil but I sure wish I had. Also have your tools ready for assembly.

When putting the rockers on the cloth put some assemble lube on the rollers and the pocket where the push rods sit.

Attachments

·
Just Call Me Oz
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You are going to have to turn over the engine as you install the rockers. I was able to just put a socket on my alternator and was able to turn over the engine like this. My truck is high mileage so I was able. But, you may have more compression than I do so you might have to turn it over by the crank but putting a socket on the crank pulley or you can use the starter. If you use the starter method you will need a second person to help out to turn over the engine.

Attachments

·
Just Call Me Oz
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Once again I started with the passenger side. Start with the number 2 cylinder the one closest to the front. You will have to turn over the engine until both valves are closed. You can tell because the rockers will be at the same level and the spring will not be compressed.

Now remove the first set of rockers.

They remove as a set just loosen the bolt and remove by hand. This is a messy job. Make sure you have a place to put the rockers as you remove them. If you are planning on reinstalling the rockers you will have to number or keep track of which cylinder they came off of.

Attachments

·
Just Call Me Oz
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I put my rockers into a box so there will be no oil on the ground or on my paint.

Attachments

·
Just Call Me Oz
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Note:

I was told to be careful not to disturb the push rods. The push rods fit into a socket on the top of the lifter. You could potentially accidentally move the push rod off of the lifter. Then when you install the rockers you might not notice get everything installed and the first time you start up the engine you will have big problems. So be careful that the push rods stay seated in the lifter.

Attachments

·
Just Call Me Oz
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Time to put your first set of rockers on, the first one is tricky. You will have to hold it in a way as to keep everything together. Just don’t loose any of the spacers they are important :p Have an allen wrench handy so you can screw the rockers down by hand.

Note: make sure not to disturb the push rods and they stay in the lifters. Also, make sure the rockers are seated correctly and the ball of the push rod is in the rocker properly.

Attachments

·
Just Call Me Oz
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Now, that you have the rockers in and hand tight. You will need to tork the bolts. Do it in 2 increments first at 10 ft lbs then final at 21 ft lbs.

Attachments

·
Just Call Me Oz
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There ya go the first set of roller rockers are done. Now repeat. 7 more times.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts