DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
The Walt-n-ator
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please post this at the top of the interior/exterior section, as a sticky, with the other “how-to” threads; I’m not sure how to do that…Thanks! Well guys, here it is; this is my thesis on the suede headliner/sun visors install. I will do my best to include each step of the process without making the process too lengthy. I found, through experimentation, that you don’t have to remove your front seats to remove the headliner. You can do this one of two ways: unbolt the front seats, and pushed them into the back seat, or recline the front seats all the way back; I have successfully removed the headliner without removing the seats. The following instructions are based on a 2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, and these instructions are in no way an exhaustive representation of the proper techniques for the application of a suede headliner/sun visors; this was simply the way that I went about the process. Good luck, and remember, have fun!

Materials:
4-yards of black woven suede (Hobby Lobby $55) and 1 bottle of 3M spray adhesive (Home Depot $10). I bought more suede than I needed so that I could wrap additional items too. When I began looking for suede, I found about 10 different “styles” of suede (woven, butter nut, synthetic, etc…); so, shop around for the suede that you like. As far as the spray adhesive goes; I recommend buying the stickiest one you can find. The can lists what the adhesive will bond. I used the “3M Hi-Strength 90”, but I assume that anything above that strength will work as well, or better yet, try some upholstery adhesive.

Step 1: Unbolt front seats, from the floor, by removing the four bolts located at each corner of the driver and passenger side seats (8 Bolts total), or recline them all of the way back (like I did); if you recline them all the way back, you do not need to do step 2.

Step 2: Slide the front seats into the back seat, or remove them completely.

Step 3: Remove the plastic covers on the A-pillar with a flat-head screwdriver. Next, remove the two 10mm bolts from the access holes (Figure 1). Finally, gently pull the pillar by the handle to release it from its location (be gentle; the pieces are plastic, and they will break). Repeat this process for the other side of the vehicle.

Step 4: Remove the sun visor by removing the three torx bolts (T-20) from the mounting base (Figure 2). Repeat this process for the other side of the vehicle.

Step 5: Gently grasp the sun visor plastic hanger, and give it a firm pull; the hanger should slide outward and lock (Figure 3). Next, grab the base of the hanger, and give it a firm tug; it should pull completely out. Repeat this process for the other side of the vehicle.

Step 6: Remove the overhead console by gently prying the lens covers from the map lights. Next, remove the two torx bolts (T-20) from the console (Figure 4). Finally, gently pull the console downward to release it from the mounting clips. Remove the two wire connectors from the map lights and the overhead console computer (Figure 5).

Continued Below...

Attachments

·
The Walt-n-ator
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Step 7: To remove the dome light, you must gently pry the lens at the position in the photo (Figure 6). Next, swing the lens downward and remove it from the trim ring. Finally, remove the wiring connector from the dome light (Figure 7).

Step 8:
Remove the front seat belt mounting cover plate, remove the torx bolt (T-45) (Figure 8), and allow the seat belt to hang as shown. Remove the rear seat handle form the pillar by removing the two plastic access covers; next, remove the two bolts (10mm) from the access holes and remove the handle (Figure 9). Finally, gently pry the pillar trim from the weather stripping and give it a firm tug to release it from the clips (Figure 11). Repeat this process for the other side of the vehicle

Continued Below...

Attachments

·
The Walt-n-ator
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Step 9: Remove the rear seat belt cover, the torx (T-45) bolt from the mounting location, and let the seat belt hang (Figure 11). Finally, remove the plastic pillar trim (Figure 12). Repeat this process for the other side of the vehicle.

Step 10:
Remove the rear hangers by grasping the edges, along the base, and giving it a firm tug; it should slide forward and lock. Next, grab the base and give it a firm tug; if it is done properly, the hanger will pop out (Figure 13). Repeat this for the other hanger.

Step 11: The headliner should be free by now; if not, check the steps for proper completion. There may, or may not, be some glue on the top of the headliner for securing some wiring; mine had glue on it, but it was easily removed in order to free the wiring from the headliner.

Continued Below...

Attachments

·
The Walt-n-ator
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I then proceeded to orient the headliner in such a way that I was able to slide it through the passenger door at an angle. (Figures 16, 17, & 18). Use patience with this step; you do not want to break the headliner; if you do, you will be hating life! This may take some time to figure out the correct position for sliding the headliner through the door, but rest assured, it is possible (I have removed it, several times, without removing the front seats).

Step 12:
Suede time! This is by far the most intimidating portion of the install because you are about to spray glue on a perfectly good headliner. Relax, it’s not as hard as you think it is. The first thing you want to do is find a large, flat working area to lay the headliner on. Any surface will do; I used my pool table. On a side note, it would be a good idea to get a second set of hands to aid in the actual application of the suede. It’s a good idea to lay the suede on the headliner when you make your cut for fitment; cut it a little long so you have some extra material to work into the curves.

Step 13: Use your own discretion when applying the glue. If you feel more comfortable doing smaller portions, then, by all means, do that. I chose to do it in halves. Next, position the suede on the headliner and check for proper fitment; then, fold back a portion of your precut suede. Spray your glue of choice, liberally, on a determined portion of the headliner; don’t use too much or it will soak through the suede, but use enough to cover it thoroughly. Then, spray the backside of the suede (comparable in size to the area you just applied glue to the headliner) with the same glue; again, just enough to cover it, but don’t saturate it. Let the glue get somewhat tacky, and then begin by gently smoothing the suede out over the headliner; start in the middle and work your way outward making sure to work the suede into all of the curved areas as you go along. Remember to remove any wrinkles as you go along, because once the glue sets up, it sets up. Repeat the process until the entire headliner is covered.

*Encouragement: I know that this seems like a lot to take in, and it can be intimidating; take your time, and think about what you are doing before you do it. Do not rush through it; you won’t like the results. You can do it!

*Note: This is not required, but after I finished the suede, I placed weights on the headliner along all of the covered and flat areas to make sure that the suede was making good contact with all parts of the headliner.

If you don’t plan on covering the visors, you are now finished with the install. (Congratulations!)

Step 14:
The visors are essentially two separate pieces of plastic “sandwiched” together via some plastic locking clips. To separate the visor, begin by placing a flat-head screwdriver in between the two visor sections (Figure 19). Next, gently (and the Rock does mean gently! Sorry, just some wrestling humor…lol) pry the visors apart working your way around the perimeter of the visor (Be careful; the visor is plastic and the clips are plastic too; they will break if too much force is exerted on them). If done correctly, the visor should literally begin to unsnap, and open into two sections (Figure 20).

Step 15:
Now that the visor is in two pieces, you can begin to lay out your suede. I cut out a large square of suede for the visor. Next, test fit your piece of suede to ensure that it will in fact cover the entire visor. Finally, spray the glue on the visor, and the back of the suede; again, do not over-saturate the suede, and start to smooth the suede out from the center outwards. I folded the excess suede into the inside of the visor for what I call a clean “OEM stitched” look. Guess what? If you made it this far, you’re all done! Fold that bad boy together and snap it back up. You can add the mirror on the passenger side visor if you choose; I used hot glue to reattach the mirror, and mirror bezel, to the suede.

Conclusion: I hope that at least one person has found this how-to, in some way, shape, or form, useful. I have done my best to include everything, that I could think of, in an orderly and concise fashion without becoming too wordy. Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions; I will do my best to answer any questions that you may have. Now, go out there and get it done!

Attachments

·
The Walt-n-ator
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are some pics of the headliner and visors installed. Enjoy...

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.