DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed im starting to get swirls markings on my truck, anyone no what i can use to get them off my truck? and what can i do to avoid swirls in my paint. thanks

·
Registered
31,160 Posts
what color truck?

Best thing is to get a buffer. If they are light swirls you can get rid of them with a dual action buffer.

Check out this thread

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what color truck?

Best thing is to get a buffer. If they are light swirls you can get rid of them with a dual action buffer.

Check out this thread
The Color is black

·
Registered
31,160 Posts
black is FUN!

as 06 mentioned you can get more swirls if you don't know what you are doing. The dual action is a good start, can't really f up your paint with it.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
will detail shops do this
my truck looks like $hit

·
Registered
1 Posts
I work for a Ford/Chrysler dealership in the detail section and the only way to get them out is a foam pad...(light cut) and swirl remover wax. This also has to be done in the sun, but being careful not to let the wax bake in...this will also take you all day! Good Luck.

·
Acts 2:38-39
2,355 Posts
You need to be very careful when you clean your vehicle. Dirt on your scrubbing item (sponge/cloth/etc) will help create swirly marks. I am told sheepskin is the best for washing, and microfiber for drying.

·
Registered
504 Posts
You need to be very careful when you clean your vehicle. Dirt on your scrubbing item (sponge/cloth/etc) will help create swirly marks. I am told sheepskin is the best for washing, and microfiber for drying.
that is one the most important things. also use multiple buckets of soap and water. dont use the same sponge you cleaned the rockers and fenders, inner fenders with to wash your hood and doors and such. use multiple sponges as well. this may sound stupid or crazy to some but im willing to bet it's the same guys who wash their trucks with a single sponge and a single bucket or the ones who will drive their trucks through a car wash."touchless" car washes are a great way to get swirled up.

·
Very Niiiice! :)
4,471 Posts

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
That Mr. Clean Autodry system works great, as long as you don't have really hard water....if you do, be prepared to get pissed off at the amount of water spots it'll leave. Basically it has the standard car wash soap that you spray on and rinse off, but then there is another feature where you spray purified (filtered) water over the car, so in theory it dries on it's own by evaporating and leaves no residue behind.

Swirl marks are another issue as the OP mentioned, espeically on a black vehicle. Do yourself a favor and get a PorterCable buffer, it's an orbital buffer, not rotary so the chances of creating MORE swirl marks is reduced some....it's still a machine that you need to make sure you use correctly in order for the best results.

For detailing tips, and car care products I have always stood behind Autopia Car Care....some great "how to" info, and comparisons in buffing styles and products.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/how-to.html

·
Premium Member
22,963 Posts
I have bad hard water here in Maricopa Arizona. I used to use the Mr. Clean but the filter was good for 1 wash. Then it turned brown. Worked Ok.. if you have soft water I bet it works great.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Yeah, with hard water you're more than likely going to change that filter every time you wash, serious PITA. Another mistake people make when washing a vehicle is doing it in direct sunlight....it should really be done in the shade, especially with a darker vehicle.

When washing by hand, use the two bucket system....one for soap being applied, and another for rinsing the wash mit...this will isolate the debris and dirt into one bucket instead of mixing it with your soap. A majority of swirl marks come from improper washing techniques unfortunately.

·
Vroom, psssst
3,055 Posts
Our water isnt too bad. I can get several washes out of it. It just sucks cause the foam drys so quick on black and it leaves crap all over the place. But I have no complaints. I have no swirls at all. Wore out the wash mit that comes with it and bought a microfiber one. That sucker holds like 10lbs of water lol. But it does great

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.