DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not a huge fan of anti-lock brakes, especially in the summer. what fuse do i need to pull to completely disable them?

·
Patriot....
3,375 Posts
the fuse will be listed on the fuse panel.

It'll trip a code and probably cause some other issues if you do that.

·
Banned
3,902 Posts
ou2mame said:
I'm not a huge fan of anti-lock brakes, especially in the summer. what fuse do i need to pull to completely disable them?
Bad idea.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pretty much, everytime i pull into the 7-11 before work, there's a bump, and its a hard steer, plus the pace on the road is fast, and the bump triggers the abs and i feel like i'm going to fly into the building. reasons like that really make me with i didn't have it. in the snow its different, but under normal conditions, its more of a problem than anything else.

·
Patriot....
3,375 Posts
maybe you need to upgrade your brake system, some good rotors/pads and updated fluid?

·
AKA: Justin
190 Posts
ya what they ^^^^ said

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just don't like abs. i know i need new rotors in the front, but the rear's are fine. i disable the abs in every car i drive.. it just makes life easier. it sucks to trigger it when you hit a pothole or something, and slam into a car because you had to stop short and your truck decided you shouldn't be skidding. I'd rather potentially skid than have nothing.

·
Patriot....
3,375 Posts
Make your own risk assessment on that decision. I recommend against it.

·
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,435 Posts
I have to side with ou2mame on ABS, I never needed ABS or desired it on any car I've driven that didn't have it. (No rear-enders for me.) It helps people that don't know how to let up on the brake pedal.
On the other hand, it works great on our current 01 T+C and our old 94 T+C as well as my work ride, a 00 Taurass wagon. It sucks on the D. You lock them then you can't stop again until what seems like a second passes. That's alot of time when the guy in front of you is stopped.
The system doesn't know if you're 2ft or 20ft from the person in front of you and that another foot of skidding won't matter. That's the problem.

·
Pirate
53 Posts
despite ou2mame citing the wrong reasons, such as snow which abs increases stopping distance, i don't like abs either. there are many times where one wheel may have locked and caused very little noticable stopping distance increase, but instead the abs system kicked in and i've about plowed through a light. i've started to get better at releasing some pressure as if i'd locked a wheel, but it usually takes releasing more pressure to disengage the abs than it would have to control the wheel lockup. most of these times a single wheel was at fault (pothole).

upgrading the brake system will not help. an upgraded brake system only offers more control, if you can lock the tires with the present setup. the only solution to prevent the abs from kicking on is to upgrade the tires to a stickier compound.

i would highly suggest performing stop tests in different conditions under a controlled environment (empty parking lot) to get used to where the grip level is and how to react (rather than instinctively mashing harder on the brakes). this goes to abs as well as non-abs.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
patryn said:
despite ou2mame citing the wrong reasons, such as snow which abs increases stopping distance.
I'm saying that I take advantage of having ABS in the snow, but for summer driving (I live in NY), its just not worth it. I'm asking this question because in my bronco, when I pulled the fuse, it also prevented the transmission from shifting. There was a relay that needed to be pulled to properly disable the ABS. On my grand cherokee, it was just a fuse. The durango has a relay under the hood that's marked ABS, and I'm wondering if this is the correct way to disable it. I don't want to get into an arguement between which is better, but I will say that I learned how to drive on cars that didn't have ABS, and feel more comfortable when its disabled. I've nearly gotten into more than a few accidents, and one actual accident, solely because the ABS kicked in for no apparent reason, other than a pot hole or something.

·
Pirate
53 Posts
abs hurts you on snow and gravel. during lockup of a non-abs car, the sliding tires start to create a wall (of snow or gravel) in front of them and will actually slow the vehicle faster than not locking up. however the abs (can) help on dry or wet pavement and will typically be the quickest (and most repeatable) to stop unless you are a pro driver very familiar with the vehicle.

i installed an abs switch on my wrx so that i could use the abs normally and turn it off when i was on a gravel road or at an autocross. using a g-tech i performed three 0-60 stops each with it on and off on the same stretch of asphalt. i had consistent times within 3-5 feet with the abs. without abs i matched the abs' best time once and the other stops were spread out within 10-15 over the abs. of course this was not in a panic either. which is the other good thing about abs.

on another note, the durango's abs is no where near as effective as the wrx. i never felt like i was going to fly through a light with the wrx. this vehicle REALLY caught me offguard the first time the abs kicked on. shame the g-tech isn't working now. i'd really like to test on the durango. i'd also like to know how to disengage it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i pulled the relay marked abs under the hood, put on a few warning lights on the dash so i figure thats the right one....

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
red brake (used for the e-brake), and abs... tested the stopping last night, the wheels lock beautifully.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.