DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How to Design a Custom Exhaust System

For customers who are considering designing a custom exhaust system for their vehicle, we have listed some of the basic things to keep in mind when designing a true dual system. Most of these points can also be applied to a single system.

Pipe Size:
The size of pipe used in an exhaust system is a critical item to consider. Pipe diameter will affect the sound level and performance characteristics of the muffler, but keep in mind that bigger is not always better. Too large of a pipe can actually hinder exhaust scavenging by allowing atmospheric pressure up the pipe.

Balance Pipe(H-pipes and X-pipes):
Flowmaster strongly recommends using a crossover tube, otherwise known as an “H” pipe or balance pipe on all true dual exhaust systems. The crossover pipe equalizes the exhaust pulses and allows the sounds waves to communicate between both banks of the engine. Not only does this usually improve torque in the low to mid rpm range, it also creates a deeper mellower tone both inside and outside of the vehicle and helps eliminate “back-rap” on deceleration.

Flowmaster has performed extensive testing and determined that the “H” and “X” pipes deliver no significant difference in performance, but do affect tone, the “X” pipe giving off a higher pitched tone. Flowmaster Scavenger “X” pipes however, do increase torque through use of their patented D-Port technology and retain the deep Flowmaster muffler tone desired by most performance enthusiasts.

Muffler Selection:
The sound of your exhaust is much like music; we all have different preferences so it’s important that the system be “tuned” to what you like. With the Flowmaster family of products we can help accomplish this by answering the questions below. This approach will allow you to choose the best product to suit your needs and expectations.

1. What is the vehicle year, make, and model?
2. Which engine do you have or how much horsepower does it produce?
3. What is the vehicle used for? (i.e.: daily driver, race, towing etc.)
4. Preferred sound levels (interior and exterior?)
5. How are the space requirements?
6. Would you like a complete exhaust system or universal pipe kit if available? Single or dual outlet?

Header Collector Ball Flange Kits:
The Flowmaster Ball Flange Kit takes the place of messy three bolt flange type connections and allows for a leak free and gasket free ball flange type connection. All kits are 16ga aluminized tubing and are sold in pairs.

System Hangers:
Adequate hangers should be used to properly support the system. Flowmaster uses OE style hangers in all systems.

Resonators:
Resonators are designed to be used in conjunction with your mufflers for improved sound reduction. Resonators will help to eliminate interior resonance.

Stainless Tips/ Exit Location:
Flowmaster highly recommends running a minimum of 12” tailpipe after the muffler. This will not only greatly help in sound control, it will also provide an increase in exhaust efficiency (more power). Running tailpipes out from under the car in street applications will also direct the potentially harmful exhaust fumes away from the vehicle, as well as minimize the sound transmitted into the cab area of the vehicle.
Flowmaster's line of Stainless Steel Exhaust Tips are a great way to let people know that you have Flowmasters under your ride! They come in a variety of styles from brushed to polished and will greatly enhance the look of your vehicle!

If you have further questions regarding any of our products, please call (707) 544-4761 or visit our website, www.flowmastermufflers.com.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
That's all well and good but how about some of the aftermarket companies(HINT) Make true duel(from headers/manifolds back) exhaust for the second gen rams! No one makes them I've looked! Cat back at best. You can source most of the stuff needed but have the get the drivers side header pipe made. Everybody jumps on the band wagon and makes stuff for the new hemi trucks but forgets about the second gens. I looked at your down pipes and NOTHING for dodge all GM crap! If you are going to advertise on a dodge site at least sell products for them. And not just cat back stuff or mufflers. :ugh

·
Registered
20 Posts
That's all well and good but how about some of the aftermarket companies(HINT) Make true duel(from headers/manifolds back) exhaust for the second gen rams! No one makes them I've looked! Cat back at best. You can source most of the stuff needed but have the get the drivers side header pipe made. Everybody jumps on the band wagon and makes stuff for the new hemi trucks but forgets about the second gens. I looked at your down pipes and NOTHING for dodge all GM crap! If you are going to advertise on a dodge site at least sell products for them. And not just cat back stuff or mufflers. :ugh

We appreciate your input. Flowmaster does not produce true dual exhaust systems for late model trucks because there is no performance benefit to running true duals on modern engines. Instead, modern engines benefit from the use of a crossover pipe to aid in exhaust gas scavenging which offers better performance.

In the case of the second generation Dodge Ram trucks, the factory downpipe/catalytic converter assembly also acts as a “y-pipe”. Because of this, we would not be able to develop a true dual exhaust system that replaces the factory catalytic converter assembly without violating federal law by removing required emissions equipment from the vehicle.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
Flowmaster does not produce true dual exhaust systems for late model trucks because there is no performance benefit to running true duals on modern engines.
YOUR CRAZY! You may want to tell the people who have stroked motors long tube headers tune etc that. That's the first thing to address is letting the engine breathe. You of all people should know that. You may want to tell Chrysler that also because the HD option had almost true duels. Duel cats and separate pipes back to a large muffler. And who said anything about removing the cat(s), Two cats, One per side. And actually it's worse than i thought it was, You don't make any headers for Dodge trucks at all! NONE! Only for Dodge Charger, Challenger and Magnum also Chrysler 300C models, And i seen a jeep in there also. As per post amount both Challenger threads didn't break 10K, Magnum 31K, No jeep or 300 threads here. The third gen rams 1,782,069 posts and the second gen is 327,226 as of today's date. The two highest post counts on the site! Followed by the 4th gens and Durango's. Although post count doesn't equate to how many people own them but i think it's safe to say it's the most popular. What's that telling you?

·
Yeah, it's got a HEMI....
2018 Ram 1500 Hemi Limited 4x4 CC
763 Posts
I dunno, I've always heard true duals on a modern, factory motor won't give you any gains anyway, in fact hinder performance and mileage but what do I know.

I've also been told that unless you do a cam, some type of forced air or any other major modifications is when two pipes will begin to help but again, I don't know. I've only seen and rode in old, pre and early 90's vehicles with dual exhausts that may not have helped, but atleast didn't hinder anything. Just my two cents.

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
I smell a bean counter in that statement. The cost of R&D, production, material, and inventory is more than they are willing to front for an older vehicle.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
I used the duel exhaust as a point, What's pictured above in the exhaust 101? DUEL EXHAUST! The main issue is the lack of stuff available. Only two cat back setup's one cat/ypipe and that's about it. NO HEADERS AT ALL FOR ANY DODGE RAM!!! There are other exhaust manufactures that make more for our Dodges. Main point i'm trying to get across is why advertise on DODGE site and have little available? The other manufactures should be here not flowmaster.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts