DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed the oil in my 02 ram 4x4 sport last night and opted for the Royal Purple. I have always changed my oil every 3k but have heard that you can go to 6k or more with synthetic. Whats the recommended oil change intervals with synthetic? I am hoping that at 5.99/qt that I can do every 6k.

·
Registered
477 Posts
You can go at least every 6k miles, but from what I have heard you are supposed to change the filter every 3k still??? I dunno...

·
Registered
349 Posts
I use Mobil 1 and change every 5k. Check out www.bobistheoilguy.com for more info than you'd ever want to know about oil.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. I just checked out Royal Purples web site they recommend every 10-12k changing the filter every 3-5k. I think i'll change the filter at 3k and the oil at 6. I only put about 12k per yr so every 6k is about right for me.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Running my AMSOIL, I change my oil once a year. After 6 months on the Amsoil, I replace the oil filter and continue on. It is guaranteed for 35,000 miles, but I never get close to that figure. I use the 0W-30 because it gives me better MPG's. There's something to be said for changing your oil only once a year. :rck:

·
Registered
1,330 Posts

·
Tape On
829 Posts
You can change your oil as much or as little as you want. Just make sure it's done to Dodge specs if you ever have a warrenty issue.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
You have to change the oil? Isn't the oil you get with the truck any good?

·
Layin' Low
2,032 Posts
Mobil1 every 3k with a Mobil1 filter. The current oil I have has sat there for about 6months (truck was in storage) so I am going to change it again as soon as I can even though it only has about 2k on the actual oil itself.

·
Banned
524 Posts
Nice sites! Looks like i'll be sticking with M1 for a while....

Question though, if M1 is supposed to last 6k Miles, why did they release a 3500, 7k, and 15k oil??

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
The new Hemi's for 2005 and on are now using 5w20. I took my dad's Magnum R/T into the dealership noticed they were pouring the oil in by the bottles. I am changing over to 5w20 Mobile 1 syn. next oil change. There is reason for this. If I find it, I will post it. I read it somewhere at work On a DCX website.

·
--> UNITY <--
2,417 Posts
I finally just started running synthetics, and plan on changeing at 4k to 5k.
BTW - Good sites

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
67Cuda said:
You can change your oil as much or as little as you want. Just make sure it's done to Dodge specs if you ever have a warrenty issue.
I will go along with that!

I am running RP 5W-30 in my HEMI Ram. Talked to my dealer about it and no problem with going 5K on oil & filter. If I go longer then there will be warranty issues. Remeber there is a 6K interval given in the owners manual. Even though it says light duty use it is listed so they HAVE to honor it.

Run a synthetic and a premium filter and there will be no problems. If you are concerned warranty wise talk to your dealer about it first. If you are past warranty and not concerned then go 5-6K on the RP and filter. You don't need to change the filter out at 3K. IF you will go longer than 5-6K on the oil though then you do need to change the filter at some point before you do the oil.

I am NOT a fan of these once a year changes or 35K changes even with the filter changed at different intervals. Just couldn't do it. Every 5K is about the max I can stand. As great a product as RP is there is now way in hell I would go 10-12K like they say their oil can before changing it even with a couple filter changes thrown in. Just not happening to my truck!:violen:

If you run a premium oil filter 5K is not too long to go on the filter. I run the K&N Gold HP2004. I buy it at Pepboys when I buy my RP. Not a cheap filter but it is going to be asked to go basically 2 OC's so I want only the best. Your base quality filters like Purolater, Bosch, Fram, Hastings, etc... are all "good" filters but I wouldn't trust one to 5K. The rest of the filters found on discount row like STP and other Wal-Mart type specials are not made to go past 3K so get a good one.

Other premium filters that can go 5K...

Wixx/Napa Gold( same as Wixx )
Mobil One
Amsoil

·
Banned
524 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
I change mine every 5000 miles, rotate the tires at the same time.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Fine, I'll admit it. I swap it out with Mobil 1 every 5K.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I used to have Mobil-1 and changed every 4k miles, but i just switched to Mobil 1 Max Life...which is suppose to guarentee you up to 15k miles or 12 months...but i still change that every 4k miles...it only cost 0.10 cents more a quart!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.