DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have 235/75/16's on my 1997 dodge ram 4x4. my question is this, I want to put 265/75/16's on but I am worried about the effect on gas mileage. aslo how much effect will this have on braking, since they are considerably larger. I know these came factory on some of the trucks, but not mine... :help:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess im looking to see if there are any adverse effects of larger diamater tires, mainly fuel economy, possibly tranny and brake issues, any help on this issue would be helpful

·
EPA's Worst Nightmare
1,673 Posts
I went from 31's to 33's for my winter tires. My speedo was off by .1 mile every mile. Gas milage shouldn't be affected much. Mine didn't change at all. As long as you adjust for the speedo being off.
Is your truck a 1500/2500/3500?

·
Registered
73 Posts
i think you will get better gas mileage due to running at less rpms when cruising.

when i first got my truck it had 265,75,16 and then i put on 285,75,16s and my fuel mileage went up about 3mpg on the freeway and about 1-2 in town. unfortunately someone slashes my left rear tire and since the spare is a 265,75,16 i just went to a shop and had them put on my old 265,75,16s now my mileage is back down about 2-3 mpg but it gets up and goes from a stop a lot easier.

i say if you drive it cool you will get better mileage but not as much get up and goo off the line.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its a 1500, my major concern is weather it will dammage any thing, did dodge change any thing between those which had the larger tires. I really want to have the bigger ones ( because they look cooler) but not if it will dammage any thing

·
EPA's Worst Nightmare
1,673 Posts
Your stock tires are 29.9" and the tires you want to get are 31.6". A 2500 and some 1500's can fit a 33" tire 285/75/R16.
If you decided to put 33's on they may rub because it is a 1500. If they do rub you could put a leveling spacer on.
Can you post a pic of your truck? If you do I should be able to tell you if the new tires will fit. You could also measure how much room you have from the edge of the tire from full turn to the object that it would hit first.

·
Registered
454 Posts
whatthe21 said:
i think you will get better gas mileage due to running at less rpms when cruising.

when i first got my truck it had 265,75,16 and then i put on 285,75,16s and my fuel mileage went up about 3mpg on the freeway and about 1-2 in town. unfortunately someone slashes my left rear tire and since the spare is a 265,75,16 i just went to a shop and had them put on my old 265,75,16s now my mileage is back down about 2-3 mpg but it gets up and goes from a stop a lot easier.

i say if you drive it cool you will get better mileage but not as much get up and goo off the line.
Did you calculate this increase in mileage after adjusting for the change in the speedo reading/mileage? Your increase in mileage may not be an increase afterall. Just a thought cause I was wondering the same thing.

·
Registered
73 Posts
yep. i adjusted the speedo with my hypertech. with the taller tires i was running about 400 -500 rpms lower on the freeway. my truck has 4.10 gearing though.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
with 4.10 tht means that you must have been getting about 12 highway right

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ill post a pic if i can, other wise ill take the best info i get and put on the new tires

·
Registered
231 Posts
I bought my truck with 265's and I thought they looked way too small. So I went with 285's and they fit perfect, and look good too. No rubbing at all. And so far no problems with anything.

Go 285! :rck:

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
not to beat this dead horse any more, but...every truck is different. Mine fit 33s (when it was stock) with minimal rubbing on the rear portion of the fender liner at full compression.
Some people with the same tire get rubbing on flat surface at full lock.
I'd say get the tire, and if it rubs you have an excuse to either: lift it, or get aftermarket rims.

·
Registered
73 Posts
yep i was getting 12 or sometimes better almost 13 on the freeway depending on the speeds and if it was level.

when i had my 285/75/16s on i was getting 15-15.5 on level freeway at 70mph.

my truck would kick down a gear a lot easier with those tires due to not being at as high rpms. now that im back with the 265s it takes the pedal being smashed all the way to the floor real quick do get it to kick down into a lower gear and sometimes its at such higher rpms it wont drop down a gear it will just raise a feqw rpms as the tq converter dis or engages. "wich ever one causes it to rais about 200 -300 rpms"

and the 265s look small on my truck since it is the off road model so it has a factory higher lift than a normal 4x4. but i like the off the line acceleration i get with those tires and the 4.10 gears.

for you i would say 265/75/16 will be a good choice. they will feel a bit more sluggish from a stop but you will cruise better. youll just have to adjust your speedo.

·
Registered
73 Posts
what size motor do you have

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the almighty 360
and Im not sure what gears i have

·
Registered
607 Posts
whatthe21 said:

Yours came with the 4.11 which is a little high for maximum fuel mileage...
moparram97 said:
the almighty 360
and Im not sure what gears i have
You've probably got the 3.55 standard ratio, which should work well unless you're typically driving on hilly terrain, when the trans will drop out od OD quite often, that has worsened my mileage, but the 360 should cope better with that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.