DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
moparman505
217 Posts

Just do it. Wasted gobs of money trying to make my 5.9 go and still keep it streetable. My truck has a B&G tune running 30lb Accel injectors. The best move I ever made was my 408. Unless you are drag racing and want it to be a daily driver don't dick with the cam. With my tune I can manually shift it up to 6500rpm if I want to play a bit. WOT with computer is set for 4000. I have a 3.91 posi from the factory and the engine will shred the tires from idle. I use the truck back and forth to work every day and like most trucks it runs 99% of its time at 2200 rpm and below. It was built for 400 hp and handles hemi's. What more do you want? At the fraction of the cost of a new truck! P.S.....my mileage is almost the same as my 5.9.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Just do it. Wasted gobs of money trying to make my 5.9 go and still keep it streetable. My truck has a B&G tune running 30lb Accel injectors. The best move I ever made was my 408. Unless you are drag racing and want it to be a daily driver don't dick with the cam. With my tune I can manually shift it up to 6500rpm if I want to play a bit. WOT with computer is set for 4000. I have a 3.91 posi from the factory and the engine will shred the tires from idle. I use the truck back and forth to work every day and like most trucks it runs 99% of its time at 2200 rpm and below. It was built for 400 hp and handles hemi's. What more do you want? At the fraction of the cost of a new truck! P.S.....my mileage is almost the same as my 5.9.
Sounds like what I need. I will have to pick your brain when I get a little closer if you don't mind.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Cut your losses and save time. Go 46re. valve body and torque converter will go A LONG ways behind a gas engine.
Yes I know this is the standard comment. I have one shop telling me I can build the 44 to handle a 408. He says the reason to do so is that the parasitic drag of the 44RE is way less than the 46RE. That is the reason why I will waste some time trying to figure out if I can build it. If not then a Viper 46RE is going in.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Moparman do you have a build thread from when you built your 408?

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I think about selling it all all the time. I never could though.
Haha I had that thought once as well a couple years ago but tgen shook my head and decided to build my truck up instead :D

I still regret selling my old 5.2 5-speed 4x4 dakota but needing to fit a car seat kinda forced me into that one. :(

To the OP, good luck with the build man whichever way you decide to go.

·
R.I.P Big Blue
5,326 Posts
Yes I know this is the standard comment. I have one shop telling me I can build the 44 to handle a 408. He says the reason to do so is that the parasitic drag of the 44RE is way less than the 46RE. That is the reason why I will waste some time trying to figure out if I can build it. If not then a Viper 46RE is going in.
Drag won't be that much more. Certainly not enough to notice with stock or higher stall converter.

·
That Weird Guy
686 Posts
^If the OP goes with PATC, the PATC TC's are much better about drag than stock replacement-type TC's. According to them, the 46REs have a lot of drag in the stock TC's and you can perk up a trucks performance with the stock trans. by installing a different TC.

·
moparman505
217 Posts

Here is a breakdown of my engine:Icon 984 forged pistons...stock forged rods...MP stroker crank..meiling high volume oil pump...MP R/T 2:02-1:62 heads with 60cc chambers..SS valves..MP 1.7 ratio rocker arms..Ford racing hardened pushrods..modified keg intake..55 mm throttle body(Hughes)...MP headers..3 inch exhaust system..MSD blaster coil run by MSD6al..stock cam.
All the bearings were the best we could buy and put together with Cometic gaskets.
The truck runs on a B&G tune with 30lb injectors. We also used a fuel pump regulater from a 96 Ram to boost fuel pressure up from the stock 95 rate of 39lbs to the 49lbs. So the actual rating for the injectors(rated 30lbs at 43lbs fuel pressure) is closer to 31.2.
The only issue we had was buying injectors rated at 27lbs at 43lbs fuel and starting the engine up. The headers went cherry red after a couple of minutes of running. It was our duhhhh moment. 94's and 95's are OBD1 and have only 39lbs of fuel pressure so we were running way lean. We put the 96 regulater on to boost fuel pressure but I was still spooked by the chalk white colour of the plugs. So I went to Accel 30lbers left the 96 regulater on
the pump.I have had a nice light brown burn on my plugs.

·
R.I.P Big Blue
5,326 Posts
Here is a breakdown of my engine:Icon 984 forged pistons...stock forged rods...MP stroker crank..meiling high volume oil pump...MP R/T 2:02-1:62 heads with 60cc chambers..SS valves..MP 1.7 ratio rocker arms..Ford racing hardened pushrods..modified keg intake..55 mm throttle body(Hughes)...MP headers..3 inch exhaust system..MSD blaster coil run by MSD6al..stock cam.
All the bearings were the best we could buy and put together with Cometic gaskets.
The truck runs on a B&G tune with 30lb injectors. We also used a fuel pump regulater from a 96 Ram to boost fuel pressure up from the stock 95 rate of 39lbs to the 49lbs. So the actual rating for the injectors(rated 30lbs at 43lbs fuel pressure) is closer to 31.2.
The only issue we had was buying injectors rated at 27lbs at 43lbs fuel and starting the engine up. The headers went cherry red after a couple of minutes of running. It was our duhhhh moment. 94's and 95's are OBD1 and have only 39lbs of fuel pressure so we were running way lean. We put the 96 regulater on to boost fuel pressure but I was still spooked by the chalk white colour of the plugs. So I went to Accel 30lbers left the 96 regulater on
the pump.I have had a nice light brown burn on my plugs.
Dyno or track numbers?

·
moparman505
217 Posts
Tranny

Tranny was rebuilt with HD clutches and bands and included a Transgo JR kit with a billet reverse servo. No issues with this set up. This truck is a four wheel drive short box...definitely not the truck you would build up for drag racing.

·
R.I.P Big Blue
5,326 Posts
Tranny was rebuilt with HD clutches and bands and included a Transgo JR kit with a billet reverse servo. No issues with this set up. This truck is a four wheel drive short box...definitely not the truck you would build up for drag racing.
Hell yeah you race it lol. 4wd is the best traction, makes up for the weight with killer 60' times.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.