DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I see guys saying they tow 24,000 lbs etc. I'm curious who tows what and what their setyup is. Do you use the weight dist. hitch? I was told I can only tow 7500 without weight dist and 12,000 with. A friend has a reciever that says 12,000 without weight dist and 14,000 with. Why is it so difficult to know what is what? It's a safety issue. I'm sure after this post it will be clear. Look in my sig to see what I drive, i have the stock reciever.

·
15,912 Posts
Josh Brown said:
I see guys saying they tow 24,000 lbs etc. I'm curious who tows what and what their setyup is. Do you use the weight dist. hitch? I was told I can only tow 7500 without weight dist and 12,000 with, a friend has a reciever that says 12,000 without weight dist and 14,000 with. Why is it so difficult to know what is what it's a safety issue. I'm sure after this post it will be clear. Look in my sig to see what I drive, i have the stock reciever.
For you your towing rating is 13,000lbs if you have a manual and 3.73's and 13100lbs if you have an automatic with 3.73 or 4.10's. The towing guide attached will help you. This is your MAX towing limit no matter what kind of "assists" you have.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That chart is a prime example of what I'm talking about. It is not accurate, our Jeep grand cherokee states in the manual it can tow 5000 lbs but 7500 with the weight dist hitch. That chart lists the Jeep as being able to tow 7500. I can't find in my dodge manual anything about this, I must be missing something.

·
15,912 Posts
Josh Brown said:
That chart is a prime example of what I'm talking about. It is not accurate, our Jeep grand cherokee states in the manual it can tow 5000 lbs but 7500 with the weight dist hitch. That chart lists the Jeep as being able to tow 7500. I can't find in my dodge manual anything about this, I must be missing something.
The information I gave you is not incorrect. Below is directly off of the Dodge website for an 07 Dodge and it is the same as what I gave you for your year Ram. I do not know what you are reading, but towing limits are towing limits and load distribution does NOT increase your towing capacity. There are warnings when using load distribution to NOT exceed tongue weight limits for your vehicle. Just because you are adjusting the load distribution does not mean you can exceed limits. I quickly looked up the towing limits on the Jeep website or an 07, and it said that you could:

With 3.73 Axle Ratio You Can Tow 6500 lbs

With 3.73 Axle Ratio and Trailer Tow Group IV You Can Tow 7200 lbs

This is what was stated on the website as well:

Look for the Equipment Identification Sticker to identify your vehicle's Axle Ratio. If you are unable to determine your vehicles axle ratio, assume you have the numerically lower ratio and can tow the lesser of these ratings.

While it's not listed in the charts, tongue weight is also an important consideration. The recommended tongue weight is between 10 & 15% of the trailer weight. However, the maximum tongue weight on Class III (The bumper ball) is limited to 500 lbs, and Class IV (The receiver hitch) to 1200 lbs.
This requirement overrides any recommended GTW rating, between 10% and 15% of gross trailer weight (GTW). Additionally, the GAWRs and GVWRs should never be exceeded.
Secure payload to prevent shifting of weight during braking, acceleration, cornering, or bumps, etc. If loads shift during dynamic conditions, load distribution could change resulting in an unsafe condition, or could exceed limits of recommended tongue weight. Incorrect tongue weight could result in increased yaw or vehicle instability. A negative tongue weight could unload the rear suspension of the tow vehicle decreasing vehicle stability. Negative tongue weight could cause the trailer to squat and potentially become disengaged from the tow vehicle resulting in a runaway trailer condition.

I am troubled by people trying to tow to the upper maximum limits not thinking of the safety implications. I have said it in other threads, the "thing" you are towing CAN get away from you in a heartbeat and it may not be yourself that gets killed.

Stay Safe and Stay Within the Limits!!

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.