DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much better is Limited slip then open ??

how does it rate.

open is the worst and lockers are the best.

where does limited slip weigh in?? in the middle or closer to worst?

just wondering...

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
I wouldn't really say one is any better/worse then the other. They are all good for certain applications, just depends on what you do with your vehicle.

If you just drive nothing but streets and highways, then an open diff is just fine. For driving conditions that are moderatly slick (i.e. snow, sand, dirt, mud, etc...), then a limited slip would probably be a little better since it will give you better traction in these slick conditions. For more hardcore off road use, a full locker would be best.

So, saying that one is better then the other only applies to the specific way a vehilce is used. On the street, an open or limited slip would be better then a full locker, but on a hardcore trail, deep mud, etc..., a full locker would be better.

·
Registered
217 Posts
For most applications a posi unit aka limited slip aka trac-lok will do the job. Will help your launch out pretty good and help traction on slippery surfaces. I put one in on my old ranger and she launched better and I could do 2 wheel peals unstead of one wheel peals. Another thing is there are alot of companies to look at. my roomate put an eaton unit into his GN and that thing launches better. The only complain I have about lockers is they suck when trying to turn. Some you will click and it will make your steering stiffer. I would go with a LS unit and call it a day.

·
Registered
140 Posts
For my lead foot driving style, a limited slip differential is far superior to an open differential. As previously stated avoid full lockers for a truck that spends all or most of it's time on the street. Both wheels of a given axle will always turn the same number of revolutions. Not a good thing when turning a corner on pavement.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dont the lockers disengage? air and electric lockers?

I would never get lockers if you couldnt dissengauge them.

·
Built Not Bought
1,870 Posts
Locker do disengage when cornering. You do have to let off the gas though. I have a locker in my daily driver, thats sees rain, snow, ice. Ill never go back to a L/S again.
Good lockers are much more durable than most L/S. No clutches to wear out, no special additive needed, and when the gas is applied, the axle shafts are locked 100% togeher. No L/S can lock the axle shafts together 100%

·
Registered
98 Posts
All lockers disengage? I thought only a DT or air and elec would do that. Wich in turn would mean DT ok Air or elec. Expensive.

·
Built Not Bought
1,870 Posts
All lockers disengage when you step off the gas. Spools do not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.